AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Brother
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  03:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Just a thought that has bewildered me for a while. Some time ago a lot of men started to call eachother "Brother" here in the forum. I have not seen those men call female posters for "Sisters" in the same way, and I haven't seen any females call eachother "Sisters" in that way or any male poster for "brothers" either. Seems to be a bunch of men who join in in this "brother"-thing.

What does this expression stand for and why has it appeared here?

Coming from Sweden, I associate first to Communism. It was a popular expression among communists to increase the sense of "we" or "us". The second association is to black people. They call eachother "brother" or "cousin" to emphazise the group feeling although they don't know eachother, just share the colour of their skin. Third association is to monks in a monastery.

Are the men who use this expression at the forum in need to emphazise their "brotherhood" here? Who do you sense are "we" or "us" since the ladies don't seem to be included as "sisters"? Do we have a lot of monks here?

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  04:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello sister
(and no, I am not a monk)
Hugs
your brother
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  06:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blame Ananda, he started it all
your loving brother Louis
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  08:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sister

See here:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  10:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sista emc....

Personally I used to call all males (and the odd female) "Dude" or "Duder"....but last August I went to New Zealand on my honeymoon, and everyone there calls each other "Bro"....I loved the sense of comradery over there with everyone calling each other "Bro". Everyone was already a friend even if you had never met before. I didn't notice any slang term of endearment for women. Anyways, ever since I went ot NZ I have adopted the phrase "Bro" as my term of endearment for a male friend. I personally wasn't trying to be sexist or purposefully not include the females in the comradery...I will make a greater effort to spread the Love evenly across the board. Thanks for pointing this out.

Love your Brother,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Jun 25 2009 10:32:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
namaste beautiful ones,

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle

Blame Ananda, he started it all
your loving brother Louis

Guilty as charge

and here you go sweet emc: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=440#41926

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=5416#48377

and i might've written the terms somewhere else as well.

it's common tradition here in my country for people to call each others as brothers (ya khaye) or sisters (ya okhte) as a sign of bonding especially among friends and we are very similar in it's use like the people of New Zealand (thx Carson).

simply put we use it to express love and gratitude.

much love,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh and a salute from Beirut from your brother\khayik Ananda
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  11:48:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Oki, so there are examples of sisters also being included, I do maintain, though, that it's more common among the men to say "brother" to eachother, no?

I'm glad it's a sign for you as an expression of love and gratitude to all. It has been used so many times as a means to include some and exclude others... to create "ingroups" and "outgroups". That's how it can become if some use it selectively.

Doesn't Brother Neil also have something to do with the development of this??? His nick encourages the monk association and I guess some might answer only "brother" to him in a way to shorten his nick!
Go to Top of Page

Akasha

421 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  1:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i'm sure brother neil will chime in here.i'm sure he can handle it.

forgive my rudeness, seeing as i'm a recent newcomer to ayp. you have allbeen here for a several years at least.i'm still learning though, with the help of pple here. thank God.

'brother' is a term of ( please provide the blank---)-affection,endearment,love & gratitude etc- i think it is all of this... in fact i know it is...

Edited by - Akasha on Jun 25 2009 1:48:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  1:58:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As a Londoner (there's others here, I think), back in the day us lads used to call each other brother or 'bruvver.' It was also fine to call anyone Darling (not 'dahling,' like the actors do - more like 'me old darling.'). And down in Devon, where I've spent much of my life, anyone and everyone, regardless of age and gender, gets called 'my flower,' 'my lover,' 'my love,' 'my darling,' 'my pet,' 'my bird,' or 'my honey'... Love it!!

Anyway... alright, my flowers?

Namaste!

gri
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  2:55:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
And down in Devon, where I've spent much of my life, anyone and everyone, regardless of age and gender, gets called 'my flower,' 'my lover,' 'my love,' 'my darling,' 'my pet,' 'my bird,' or 'my honey'... Love it!!

Anyway... alright, my flowers?

Yep he he same here in Cornwall its the same all over the west country I think my lover
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  3:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lover ?!?!
That would NOT be appropriate anywhere in Sweden, I dare say!

In fact, the old swedish word for "dear" or "loved" one - käring - has now been transformed into a foul word: kärring, meaning an ugly old bitchy lady.
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  3:36:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, isn't it? The lady in the bakery will say it to the vicar and nobody bats an eyelid. Quite right, too. Tantra in action!

Namaste, my flowers!

gri

Edited by - grihastha on Jun 25 2009 3:38:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  4:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, in my part of th USA, "my lover" insinuates an intimate, usually sexual relationship. But "my love" doesn't, although it would be considered too sweet outside family members.
Also here, "bro" is used casually between males and has an unwritten connotation that both are heterosexual. However, "brother" means a fellow union member or a fellow black man outside the monastery.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  5:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

However, "brother" means a fellow union member or a fellow black man outside the monastery.

Maybe "Brother" but how about "Brotha" ....That's "toker" talk.....

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2009 :  5:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sister emc,

I think males are more inclined to use "brother" to each other than to use "sister" to females, because it's one of the few affectionate terms that's considered platonic/heterosexual. Men express their affection for women in a variety of ways, and in more intimate/non-platonic ways. We are more limited in our ways of expressing affection for men (without being perceived as coming on to them). "Brother" is clearly intimate and clearly platonic...

As for these forums, I think Ananda and brother neil are to blame

I've used "brother" here once in a while, but I tend to subconsciously adapt to the way people speak/write.

With Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000