AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 No nonsense Buddhist meditation.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Adam West

23 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2005 :  02:10:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Adam West's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I got this from another list. I thought some of you might consider it a useful tool for further exploration :-) I haven't read it yet (as I just found it a few minutes ago), so I can't vouch for it. But at first glance the author may have some credible insights :-)

Follow the link to download the book for free.

I hope you enjoy! :-)

In kind regards,

Adam.

AN UNUSUALLY HARDCORE DHARMA BOOK

So when rain or bad light stops play at the final Ashes test at the Oval Cricket ground today (Bring it on Freddie!), check this book out over a cup of chai and a cucumber sandwich... it is for those who really want to master the core teachings of the Buddha and who are willing to put in the time and effort required. It is also for those who are tired of having to decipher the code of modern and ancient dharma books.

" anyone who is serious about the path

should read this.."

Matheesha

Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha by Daniel Ingram ~ A downloadable PDF of 298 pages ~ is an amazing free (that's even cheaper than Amazon or Wal-Fart!) e-Book, as recommended by Matheesha, resident teacher at the Bodhi Garden, Brighton, U.K. who teaches Jhanas and Vipassana and is in the lineage of Ven. Amathagavesi.

Daniel Ingram is one of those < Generation X> hardcore Dharma Punx ( EMO?) whose radicals wore spikes and combat boots rather than beads and sandals, listened to the Sex Pistols rather than the Moody Blues ~ a popular progressive psychedelic rock combo of the 60's ~ wouldn't know a beat poet or early '60s dharma bum from a hole in the ground, and thought the hippies were pretty naïve (Ouch! Boomeritus twinge…)

"Most Buddhists are just aging Boomers who want to do something to feel better about themselves as they get older and are not really interested in this sort of thing. "

Abi Titmuss

Daniel Ingram is one of the few teachers that will talk about high-level practice directly and unambiguously without relying on dogma, making things taboo or coating simple truths in mystery. He had deep spontaneous classic early meditation experiences aged 15, went through a personal Dark Night and began his practice in 1994 going on intensive meditation retreats and doing a lot of daily practice.

More about the author of Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha : Daniel Ingram, a.k.a.Dharma Dan, hails from Kentucky, U.S.A. and he holds an MD, an MSPH in Epidemiology, and a BA in English Literature, and is currently in a medical residency program in Emergency Medicine at the University of Louisville, Kentucky. He is an arahat with mastery of the formed jhanas, formless realms and Nirodha Samapatti; the cessation of perception and feeling is the highest of the temporary attainments. His primary influence is the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition of insight meditation from Burma, and he has have been given permission to teach by Sayadaw U Pandita, Junior in that lineage.

http://www.interactivebuddha.com/Ma...0Version.pdf

Adam West

23 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2005 :  07:15:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Adam West's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guys,

I have since had a bit of an opportunity to check out this book. I am quite impressed by it. The author is a man after my heart, one who is, relatively speaking, independent of thought and not bogged down by dogma or convention. I detect the usual human failings, but to expect otherwise is to be naive. On the whole it appears to be a work that is worth looking at, one with a number of redeeming qualities.

I certainly take the point that grandiose claims of spiritual achievement or proclamations of excellence of any kind often is cause for pause and consideration. I suspect more times than not, such claims reflect the usual pathology, but certainly not all the time. The author appears to be on a crusade to undermine the irrational and inconsistent dogmas found within the Dharma traditions. If we accept this possible interpretation, I applaud him and agree.

Like many highly educated people in the west who are trained in logic and critical thinking, he maybe just pointing out the obvious and seeking to make reforms. He argues the old models of hinting at, and implying enlightenment give charlatans and power craving psychopaths the ambiguity and opportunity to assume a role and position they are not in fact qualified to hold. He suggests rather, teachers should be open about their realization and lack there of. Making the whole process of looking for and working with, authentically qualified adepts far more efficient.

For me, it appears we can see the standard influences of the western world view operating here, one that I find in many respects quite appealing; and were I enlightened, would probably adopt also

In kind regards,

Adam.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000