Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Approaching The Great Perfection Dzogchen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  10:06:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi alwayson, I have given the book a first read. I sincerely thank you for the excellent recommendation. Please come back and discuss it with me. Unfortunatly I have to return it to the library today, but I will photocopy a few pages and possibly acquire it at some point. I would like to have read it again. May be we could talk about the relationship between the moment and it's elaborations, or some such thing that you might suggest. I'm busy today, but I'll try to post something on it later. All The Best, dfb PS: I invite any and all interested others as well.

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  10:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi alwayson, you already know this, but I'm going to give the bibliographical information for this valuable text, so others can get it if they want.

Approaching The Great Perfection
Simultanious and Gradual Approaches
to Dzogchen Practice in Jigme Lingpa's
Longchen Nyingtig

Author: Sam van Schaik
Wisdom Publications * Boston

Sorry, I forgot to photocopy the isbn. etc., but it's a recent publication - google it if you like.

The Book is a translation of Treasure, Pure Vision, and Supplementary Texts, issued with the name Jigme Lingpa attached: Jigme Lingpa does not claim authorship of the Treaure and Pure Vision texts, which he considered super-personal in origin. Sam van Schiak has translated these into english for the first time and provided a very long, knowledgable, introduction, along with significant introductions, continuous footnotes, and commentary to all Jigme Lingpa's work in this context.

It would be wrong to go further forward without paying proper respect to Jigme Lingpa. He Said:

"In front of the polished mirror of threefold prajna,
The beautiful girl who discusses the teachings
Blows into a reed pipe symbolizing the questions
And recieves the answers as the song of the cuckoo (JL 174)."

Here the inexpressible breaths on us a gift.

For Jigme Lingpa's historical context: please google, there is a lot out there on this great sage.

Initially, I'm intersted in discussion of 5 general aspects of the book and thier inter-relations -please suggest others if you like. I'm going to start with a header and a quote for each, so there is some commen ground for those who have not read, and/or, do not have access to the book. Then, hopefully, I will add more citations as discussion warrents and my time, and available material, allow - if thier is intrest. If you have a copy of the book please quote. I will quote pg. no. and the initials SvS, or JL, to distinguish S.v Schaik and Jigme Lingpa - please use this convention if you make a quotation - I will omit reference to footnotes within quotations unless specifically called for, as well as Tibetan transliterations and other interpolations. Please forgive my typossesz.

1)The nature and relationship of simultainious and gradual approches.

2)The relation of these to the view, the moment and it's elaborations.

3)Uses of the word "mind" and "space" with respect to the view and the moment.

4)Practices

5) The Boddisatva Vow

SORRY, I'm tired, so I'll see about getting quotes for these headers tomorrow. Please comment in the meantime if you like!

All The Best, dfb

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000