AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 toughts and emotions.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  12:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Im having this days wonderful progress in self inquiry during daily activities.Its beautiful.

When there are some thought,i ask "is this thought real" and it dissapear slowly.

But what about emotions? sometimes along the day i only experience emotions,no thoughts.The seffuering comes from emotions then. what can i do with them? should i ask "is this emotion real"? or only bhakti tools? is there any s inquiry for emotions?

Thanks.

Edited by - miguel on Jun 12 2009 12:35:57 PM

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2009 :  10:37:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi miguel

In this lesson: http://www.aypsite.org/326.html Yogani lists "Allowing" as a self-inquiry method, and from experience it is a very important and powerful practice. Just allowing the emotion to be there and change how it "wants" to change. If you are able when the emotion comes to say "it's ok" even directing it to the part in the body where the emotion happens then that is great, if not, well let your resistence also be as it "wants" to be.. and accept yourself as you are at this moment..

also you can ask the question "what to do with the emotions" and drop it into silence. Then the answer will come from you and not from what anybody else tells you..

Love and Good Luck,

Yonatan
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  03:15:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you yonatan
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  08:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Miguel,
Thoughts keep emotions in place. Emotions are just energy movements/purification. It is thoughts that give that energy a meaning, attaches a label to it (remember Mind Filters?). At times it is hard to see the thought that is keeping that emotion in place. As you continue dropping (like Yonatan says, give it to the silence), the time you spend caught up in the energy movement will shorten. Then tears will happen, but since there is no story being attached to the tears, the tears will come, and dry up in a few min. and you will not suffer through it. Literally, you will be at peace the next second and forget there were tears a bit before that.

The reason I am sure the suffering of the emotions are mind created, you will experience this yourself, the time spend caught up/suffering through the energy movement will get shorter and shorter, as you learn to identify the mind stories more and more, and bring more and more silence into this world. Then you will see the whole thing as a lilla.. god's play.. and it will be hard for you to take any emotion/discomfort seriously.

Have faith Miguel. You have just discovered the gap. Any discomfort, give it to the silence. It will work. There cannot be suffering because of emotions without a thought.. so even if you cannot identify the thought behind the emotion.. just give it to the silence. It will take some time, but you will get the hang of it soon. Remember, you are trying to unlearn the conditioning of many life times.. give yourself a break... be kind to yourself, it will all be OK.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  09:23:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes shanti, i know i have just discovered tha gap (its wonderful). I have patience,i know it takes time and more practice.
But when you say give the emotions in to the silence,i dont know exactly how...just an intention?
Sorrye if maybe you have talked to me before about this,but althought i have discovered the gap,the mind continues with stupid habits and questions.
I have discovered the gap,but know i feel like a lose child in a forest.Thats the feeling.

quote:
As you continue dropping

Asking "is this thought real" is the dropping you are talking about?
the technique od stop the thought beforee it enters in to the mind is dropping?

I dont know exactly why i do this questions...dont know...

Thanks.

Edited by - miguel on Jun 13 2009 09:48:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If i asking too much its because my mind doesnt like the gap,and is always doing question,you know....
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  09:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
See where that feeling is arising.. then give that feeling to the silence.
"just an intention?" .. yes.. like surrender.. give it to your ishta.. tell you ishata to take it.. keep doing it.. you will feel a very subtle shift.. like something breaking inside.. it will take some time.. esp. if they are strong blocks.. but you will get it.

i feel like a lose child in a forest. Thats the feeling.
Do you see you have attached a label of a "lost child" to the feeling? It is feeling.. in the heart (?) area.. it is actually just energy moving, heart opening, blocks dissolving.. no need to label it.. it is an energy movement.. We keep giving it to the silence, till aahhhh.. it is not there any more. We don't go back and analyze it after its gone, we don't dwell on it when it's gone. When in it.. the only thing we do is.. give it to the silence.. keep telling ourselves, it's just energy moving.. it has no meaning.. it will be gone. The more we do it, the more it becomes a part of us. It takes time Miguel. But it(the silence) will become you. Keep meditating.. it increases our access to the silence.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  10:09:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by miguel

Asking "is this thought real" is the dropping you are talking about?
the technique od stop the thought beforee it enters in to the mind is dropping?

Just stop thinking the thought. Don't give the thought a logical end. Don't give it a satisfying answer. Thoughts will come up, we have millions of thoughts that come up in a day.. "Hmm.. maybe I need a new toothbrush", "this soap smells good", "maybe I need to wash this towel, hmmm need to do the laundry", "what do I eat for breakfast", "what do I wear today".. "should I watch some TV or go out and work in the garden".. none of these thoughts cause us grief because we do not continue thinking about them.. hence we are not giving it any more energy and they come up and dissolve. We don't (well normally) go into.. "Oh my god.. I have to wash this towel, this one has a million germs on it.. what if the kids wiped the floor with it and did not tell me.. Eww... I have bathroom floor germs on my face now.. I am going to get sick now!!!"

However, when the thought.. "I have been wronged all my life" comes up, we dwell on it and think about it and think about it and think some more about it.. now we are giving it energy.. we are enforcing that thought more and more and more.. hey I get a phone call from someone I really enjoy talking to.. I talk for 30 min.. for those 30 min my problem does not exist.. but right after that.. I sit down and start thinking.. "I have been wronged all my life".. and there I go again.. give it energy.. make it real.. That thought is as real as the passing thought "I need a new toothbrush".. so why does one thought have to be given more energy than the other?

How is it that some thoughts don't get much energy? We don't think about it.. we drop it.. the thought comes up, we think it and we drop the thought and think the next thought.. Do you get how to drop the thoughts now?
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2009 :  11:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes,i understand.

quote:
the only thing we do is.. give it to the silence.. keep telling ourselves, it's just energy moving.. it has no meaning.. it will be gone.

i find my mind saying "it will stay here forever,i has been here all your life,it will not go out from here,its impossible"
I think i should continue dropping this thoughts...they are rooted verry deep inside,big force.But ill keep working and they will dissapear,with time and persitence.

Ill continue stopping at the begining of these toghts that lead me mental stories that causes too much suffering."i have been wrong al my life" and thoughts like that.
These thoughts like "i need that book" doesnt cause big suffering.They are less powerful and important.they arent strong thought.

And with emotions,i ll start talking with my ishta,nner silence."take this feeling,i give this feelings to you".Just an intention.

Thank you very much for your support shanti.
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2009 :  02:26:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread. Thanks Miguel, Yonatan and Shanti. Good questions and practical examples. Alot of clarity and very helpful ... much appreciated.

Love and Light,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful lesson from Yogani:
Lesson 340 – Transforming Emotional Energy for Enlightenment
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  4:50:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. What a great lesson. Thanks for linking it, Shanti.

From where I sit it's strange - actually no, it's synchronicity - that he mentions children specifically. I've been having a rather intense couple of days, with a lot of energy, ecstasy, deepening of the silence, and some crown-related stuff as well. I was feeling quite blitzed after my morning practice (yes, I know, I'm going to do more self-pacing), sitting at my desk and contemplating work when my daughter, who's 4, and at home not feeling very well, jumped up in my lap. I had just had a nasty vertigo attack out of the blue and so was feeling a bit fragile. So we listened to some music (Indian - some Krishna Lilas and then the Mallik Family doing kyaal) and as I cuddled her she fell asleep and we sat there quite blissfully for two hours...

And then to read Yogani... How strange this life is.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  5:02:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There really truly are no coincindences, accidents or mistakes in life. Everything happens for a reason.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2009 :  8:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi miguel

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. Emotions can be inquired into as well... The Sedona Method is a good way to do it. You can ask questions like:

"Can I allow this (emotion) to be here?"
"Can I allow myself to fully feel this (emotion)?"
"Can I release this (emotion)?"
etc.

I like Yonatan's idea of allowing emotions to be there. I did this with stage fright recently (I had 4 presentations to do for school). I just watched the fear and let it be there. Eventually the fear got dissolved and I wan't that nervous during the actual presentations (just before them).

Good luck! I hope this helps

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2009 :  05:56:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful lesson shanti,i love bhakti and karma yoga book. thanks.

Cosmic,thanks for the advice.

Carson and grihastra,all we are linked,like trees in a forest..of course!

all we are a huge nervous system,in the huge nervous system of this wonderful universe!

White Light for all.Blessings.

Edited by - miguel on Jun 20 2009 07:17:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2009 :  4:20:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good exercice for enquiry the emotions (by emc):

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....Terms=hathor

enjoy!

Edited by - miguel on Jun 22 2009 4:23:15 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000