Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Uncomfortable Churning in My Skull
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I meditate only twice a day for 20 minutes, usually at 6:00 am and at Noon (because of my work schedule). I pretty much had to stop doing Pranayama and bellows breathing and to modify my posture (per advice from this wonderful forum) to stop intense pain in my genitals (especially the right testicle) and my right leg.

Over the past two or three weeks, at different points during the day (mostly in the early afternoon or evening) there will be a very, very strong churning sensation at my fore-head and within and on the surface of my skull. It's happened off and on since I started practicing AYP about 7 1/2 months ago and has gotten smoother over time, but lately it can be uncomfortably (distractingly) strong and not particularly smooth. I can feel it affecting something in my right leg and, at different times, at my genitals and in my stomach and abdomen.

Does that churing sensation indicate activity of spiritual cleansing and/or the growth of nadi? What might I do differently to back the strength of the churning off when it is over much. I would like to start a yoga class but worry that practicing Asanas, even apart from meditation, might make that churning sensation even more intense and uncomfortable.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to advise me who may have been down a similar path or who merely has wisdom far beyond my own.

Edited by - AYPforum on Jun 11 2009 04:59:09 AM

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  1:10:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Would you say the sensation was located within the skin and bone of your forehead as opposed to inside the skull cavity? Does it sometimes feel slightly cold? I've had those sensations a lot since I started meditating. I think of it as my third eye stirring, although I don't know what it actually is. It seems to be connected to insightful thoughts, in my case, or things connected to the spiritual (eg I'll see an image of my ishta and my forehead will start to tingle). I welcome it, but then again I don't find it unpleasant. My guess is that it isn't at all uncommon around here!

Just my tuppence-worth: there are many others here who are a great deal more experienced than I am.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  1:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tomlee,

It is the activation of the ajna chakra and is quite common. If the sensations under your skull are at the top of your head then that is the crown chakra becoming active. If you are practicing AYP (as you are) then it is caused by the purification of the sushumna nadi. If the sensations feel uncomfortable, as they sometimes can, then it is good to self-pace your practices, and add grounding practices during the day.

Links to self-pacing can be found on the left of this page, and links about grounding practices can be found under frequently asked questions at the top.

Adding asana practices to your routine could help to ground you, or it could add extra stimulation to the mix, making things worse. It can even do both at the same time, so you have to try it and see how it spans out for you.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  3:52:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank both of you, grihastha and Christi, for responding. I observed the churning sensation closely and it was basically a clockwise swirling current within my skull felt most strongly at the forehead. Sometimes I could feel pressure in my eye-balls as well. Occasionally there seemed to me two swirling masses moving in opposite directions. A separate and distinct swirling was like a bowl sitting on top of my head and swirling around with the edges of the bowl seeming to sink beneath the skin and touch the very bone of my skull. That, I'm pretty sure, is movement of my crown chakra. I've also had occasional chills and a pulling at my groin and down my right leg. It seems to be always present.

Christi, I took your advice and investigated the matter of energy imbalances which is what I think is going on. I have been doing meditation only and have initiated spinal breathing for a few minutes prior to meditating (as of this morning)to see if that helps. So far, it seems to. I appreciate knowing that these things are a "normal" part of the process of yoga, especially someone very new to it as I am. Again, thanks to you both for caring enough to take the time to respond.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  08:22:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tomllee,

The symptoms you describe are classic ajna and crown activation symptoms. Also the effects on your groin and leg are quite normal. I have experienced both of those, more in relation to the crown than the ajna chakra.

Rather than being symptoms of energy imbalances, it is really just part of the purification process and a sign that everything is working as it should. The activation of the higher brain centres is the beginning of an amazing new journey on the path... one which leads to higher states of consciousness.

Wishing you all the best.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  12:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Christi,

Your response was very encouraging. Because those symptoms have been so strong and sometimes unpleasant and distracting, I figured that I must be doing something very wrong, couldn't figure out how to do it right, and was perhaps not suited to meditation. After eight months of dedicated practice, I was actually considering discontinuing my meditation completely. I kept wondering, "where's the ecstatic bliss...even a little bit of the finest movement of it?". Right now, I am still considering what to do next because when it gets unpleasantly strong, it's quite discouraging. Your comment helps by normalizing my experience so at least I won't be so worried that I'm doing something wrong. I guess I just have to decide whether it's worth putting up with or not. Wish me luck! And thank you so very much for taking the time and thoughfulness to reply.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  05:33:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tomllee,

You're welcome. Just to mention... with effective self pacing (cutting back on practice times) and some grounding, you should be able to control the symptoms to a level where they are not at all uncomfortable. It may take a few days, or a few weeks, depending on how far over you are now. Then you will be able to increase your practice times again in small steps, keeping an eye on the inner energy movements so they don't get out of hand again.

Yogani doesn't give too many clues in the main lessons as to when you can expect to start to experience ecstatic conductivity, rather than just conductivity, but in my own experience my third eye and crown were both active for quite a while (maybe a couple of years) before I began to experience ecstasy in my body. Other people progress much faster than I did, so it really depends on the individual.

In the meantime... don't give up just as things are starting to happen! That would be a terrible waste of an incredible opportunity.

Good luck

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tomllee

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2009 :  1:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Christi,

Your comments are much appreciated. I think finding the right pace can be easier said than done because I don't get immedadiate feedback that something I did worked (like busting back to 20/20 mediation only). Things have slowed down a bit since I introduced Pranayama into my meditation, so maybe I am on the right track by doing that to better balance the energy activity. I may back off the time to ten minutes if things don't stay smoother, yet have a few minutes of Pranayama and the remainder meditation.

Can't tell you how much it means to have received your input. I commit to being more patient with the whole process.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2009 :  04:59:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000