AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Ken Wilber Stops His Brain Waves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  04:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
two words about this guy: Amazing\the real deal.

enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFFMtq5g8N4

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  12:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Its neat. But, means nothing. There was a guru who could "stop" his heart and also be buried for a while. Guy turned out to be a horny old man who abused his standing (nothing wrong with being horny, of course).

This brain wave thing was mentioned briefly here:
quote:
# Kris Says:
April 22nd, 2008 at 10:26 am

Hi Steven,
Have you seen the video online where Ken Wilber supposedly stops his brain activity? I’m not sure whether I believe it or not, even though he’s connected to a certain type of EEG machine in the video, but I’m interested to hear what you think of it. Though, even if he truly was able to halt all the electrical activity in his brain, I’m not sure that means anything either. Any thoughts?
# sashen Says:
April 22nd, 2008 at 10:46 am

Hey, Kris,

Yes, I’ve seen it… I think you’re use of “supposedly” is accurate.

The machine he was using is called the Mind Mirror. It’s a highly inaccurate device (notice that in the video he doesn’t have a collection of 16+ electrodes glued to his noggin, like you would for an actual EEG).

Given how much electrical activity our brain kicks out from regions just designed to keep us BREATHING, I find the idea that he, or anyone, could stop all electrical activity to be highly suspect.

And, then it brings up the other point: Hypothetically, let’s say he CAN do this. So what? What does that mean for you or me or Hannah Montana? If there isn’t a reliable technology for teaching others to reproduce this effect, it’s just a neat example of an unusual person. It doesn’t mean that it’s better/worse or proves anything in particular. That is, it’s interesting (ish), but the meaning is up for serious debate.

Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  2:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi jo, i don't care about what he can or cannot do but how it is done it explains things to me like what's happening inside my brain when i meditate.

and there are some people like swami Rama and others who can do much more and are considered by many as enlightened and beyond but still...

actually what interests me about Ken is that this guy really knows what he's talking about and is living the thing for real and is doing a great job teaching about it and giving some very good insights.

now wether he is a horny old man or a saint i couldn't care less i benefit from him and i benefit from people like swami rama and Adi da i just take the good and leave the bad if i resonate with a certain teacher and concerning Ken i haven't seen anything bad about him yet.

and by all means i recommend his teachings whole heartedly.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  7:36:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't say it means "nothing". I understand what Jo is saying about a normal eeg machine. It is true a regular machine would measure from many more points. So the band he is using is not as comprehensive of a measurement.
However, a regular machine would draw out the waveforms instead of analyzing and displaying each frequency separately. So this information is actually more useful for what Ken is doing. With a regular eeg readout, you would have to measure the length of each waveform to tell if it is alpha or delta or whatever. Ken's machine identifies each frequency and reads out its amplitude.
and since we know what each frequency represents, it is useful information.
It is like bio-feedback machines; since you get an immediate readout, you can learn to control it.
If I were him, however, I would make several different headbands to check all the areas a regular eeg monitors.
But how much of this correlates with meditation? Who knows? It would be fun to experiment with it.
Go to Top of Page

wakeupneo

USA
171 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2010 :  5:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit wakeupneo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

enjoy:

meh... call me totally unimpressed

David Blaine must be the Buddha Maitreya then.

Edited by - wakeupneo on Jan 15 2010 5:32:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2010 :  02:32:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wakeupneo

quote:
Originally posted by Ananda

enjoy:

meh... call me totally unimpressed

David Blaine must be the Buddha Maitreya then.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000