New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  11:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Konchok Ösel Dorje - "Imagine yourself meditating with a spike shooting up your rectum and protruding through your skull, over and over again.

Then, you will understand merit and wisdom. Wisdom is just very very very difficult to realize when being tortured."

The true nature of mind is not realized, the wisdom is never lost.

All things are the nature of the mind, just as all is one, and many are one, I had a dream last night I was being driven down the road and a voice was telling me about the unconscious, it was raining and it said as you look out into the world and accept more and more of what you see you begin to realize it is WHO YOU ARE, all of these things, the beloved, the one who knows you just as you know yourself, who knows just how to get you going is there, is you, all times, doing exactly what you want, though it is the custom of many cultures to victimize themselves. That is the way it is, thats the nature of my mind, that is true wisdom, right now. Being in pain does not make this untrue or unrealizable, its just that pain is really uncomfortable, but just as great artist seek to know the spectrum of feeling, its not like its wrong, it is just a holistic view of Time, Self, infinity, whatever one would call it.
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  2:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Divinefurball, Yes. A human life is a precious and rare opportunity to practice under conditions suitable for enlightenment. Don't waste it.

Hell beings must burn off bad karma. Once it is burned off, they may be reborn as a human being.

Ösel Dorje

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on May 31 2009 3:22:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  3:08:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Porcupine, The true nature of mind is never changed. However, beings are distracted due to their ignorance, and they forget the see things the way the are. So their wisdom energy depletes drastically. Meditation is recharging and then supercharging wisdom energy. One needs an opportunity supported by favorable conditions to charge up in meditation. It's called leisure and endowment of a precious human life.

Ösel Dorje

Edited by - Konchok Ösel Dorje on May 31 2009 3:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  6:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Konchok Ösel Dorje, thank your for your reply! Would you please tell me what "burning off Karma" means. Is it the same or different than earning merit? With Appreciation For Your Responses, divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I mean "burning off" related to negative karma. When a negative event happens, a karmic debt is paid. A karmic debt is earned by committing a past non-virtuous act.
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  6:54:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Konchok Ösel Dorje, thank you, I think I understand that. I have karmic debt. Should I seek suffering to pay it off - or is that no help? Or maybe it makes no differance what I seek, as karma rules. The Hell Beings probobly don't seek suffering, but thier karma forces it, perhaps, and they must just endure it till the debt is paid. Is that right? Or is it possible that I can help the Hell Beings, or that they can help themselves - or both? With Thanks, divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  9:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't help paying off karmic debt. It debtor will find you. What you can help is not to incur any new debt.
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  03:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Konchok Ösel Dorje, you said: "You can't help paying off karmic debt. It debtor will find you. What you can help is not to incur any new debt". Oh, Konchok Ösel Dorje, can I not help others though as well, or is that a fruitless wish ? With Hope, divinefurball

Edited by - divinefurball on Jun 03 2009 03:58:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  10:36:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Divinefurball,

Have you looked into the bodhisattva vows? Maybe this is what you are looking for.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Konchok Ösel Dorje

USA
545 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  11:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konchok Ösel Dorje's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Bodhisattva vow.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2009 :  11:53:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, that should have been vow. The Wikipedia title, "Bodhisattva Vows" threw me off.

Here is the info Divinefurball.

The Sanskrit term Bodhisattva is the name given to anyone who, motivated by great compassion, has generated bodhichitta, which is a spontaneous wish to attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings. What makes someone a Bodhisattva is her or his dedication to the ultimate welfare of other beings, as expressed in the prayer:
“ May I attain Buddhahood for the benefit of all sentient beings. ”

More info here if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhisattva_vows

Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2009 :  8:33:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stevenbhow, thank you so much for your remark. You are very perceptive. Yes, this is directly related to what I am trying to understand in Buddhisim(s). However it does not entirely explain my difficulty. I am just learning, so please (all) be patient if I express myself poorly. I think what I am concerned about is the relation between the Bohisattva Vow (or I'll say "vows", in the sense that there are somewhat different versions amongst different Buddhist lineages), and Karma yoga. On reading discussions in these forums and other places there seems to be at least two extreams with respect to the meaning of "attaining Buddahood for the benifit of all sentient being." For some, it seems, it does not matter what you do, or say, with respect to other sentient beings, while on the path to Buddhahood for thier benifit, as one can only really benifit sentient beings by attaining it (Buddhahood). So sometimes on this view (it seems to me), utter neglect - or even abuse, condemnation and incitment of sectarian strife - in y/our samsaric relations with others is entirely compatible with the infinite compassion of the Boddhisatva vow - if you keep up your Meditation/Tantra routine and have some experiences - even a virtue!. One must become a Buddha as fast as possible, you know - for thier sake - so, one should not be distracted by concrete compassion and care, from doing the most good -by becoming a Buddha as fast as possible. At the other "end" of the spectrum we have those who wish to attempt to embrace samsaric relations with all others in respect, mindfulness, and an attitude of actual concrete, positive, and helpfull compassion, as an integral aspect of the path of becoming/being a Boddisatva (though without achievment being thier reason for acting in such a manner - they have no reason). Thus, for them, acutual compassion is the path to infinite compassion and every act of compassion has an aspect of the infinite. My Bakti tends towards this extreame. So, also, I have trouble with views about Karma that view the suffering of others as a result of thier past (it may or may not be -to me it doesn't matter so much) - and not complexly inter-related to the infinite contingiences of dependent origination - becuse the tendency there can be: there is no need to try and help; they must just burn off thier Karma; or even: they are to blame for thier suffering, and not worthy of help; or even: mocking them will help them burn off thier Karma wore quickly. Plus, not being a Buddha yet one wouldn't know how to really help them anyway. Nevertheless, clearly One Must Be In A Higher Place To Judge Such Matters. I cannot help but think that there is a self-serving-satisfaction in such judgments, actions, and in-actions, and that it is better to attempt mindfully working towards helping, unreservedly, without such concerns. For me it is the practice of compassion that is important to pursue. So when I see others who conceptually express different ways of framing things than mine, but act toward, and promote this, then we are in agreement, regardless of what ever else they may say: we are working towards, and trying to be, and do, the same thing: Being/Becoming Outpouring Divine Love: Infinite compassion for the benifit of all sentient beings. I hope to get better at this as I go along, while knowing that I have achieved little yet, and therefore must be more mindfull (or mindless), so as to give the best I can - and of course keep up with Meditation and Tantric practice too! I apologize to any and all for the immaturity of my attempts on these forums, thank stephenbehow for this opportunity to help clear my mind, wish consructive conversation for all, and seek suggestions for how I might better better all. Also I thank Yogani, and all that contribute to these forums, for the help we can and have given one another, divinefurball
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  01:52:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think as you practice any spiritual path you will automatically become more compassionate. That seems to be the one component that all spiritual traditions have in common. If you are not becoming more compassionate then you are probably missing the true essence of the teachings, in my opinion. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep doing the practices.
Go to Top of Page

divinefurball

USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2009 :  08:34:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi stevenbehow, thank you for your remark. I agree completely. All The Best, divinefurball
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000