Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Overcome
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  8:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Here's a link overview of Overcome on my blog, highlighting the reality that some songs are more than just songs.

Far more.

OVERCOME
By LIVE

Even now the world is bleedin'
But feelin' just fine
All numb in our castle
Where we're always free to choose
Never free enough to find
I wish somethin' would break
Cuz we're runnin' out of time

And I am overcome
I am overcome
Holy water in my lungs
I am overcome

These women in the street
Pullin' out their hair
My master's in the yard
Givin' light to the unaware

This plastic little place
Is just a step amongst the stairs

And I am overcome
I am overcome baby
Holy water in my lungs
I am overcome

So drive me out
Out to that open field
Turn the ignition off
And spin around
Your help is here
But i'm parked in this open space
Blockin' the gates of love

I am overcome
I am overcome
Holy water in my lungs
I am overcome

Beautiful drowning
This beautiful drowning
This holy water
This holy water
Is in my lungs

And I am overcome
I am overcome
I am overcome
I am overcome

Overcome All Over, Again,

Kirtanman

Edited by - Kirtanman on May 17 2009 5:03:58 PM

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - May 16 2009 :  11:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!...THAT was (is) AWESOME!

Thanks again for the return of the KirtanMan!
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - May 17 2009 :  5:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

WOW!...THAT was (is) AWESOME!

Thanks again for the return of the KirtanMan!

Hey Machart,

Thanks very much! It's good to be back!

Is your "WOW" about the lyrics - or did you check out the videos, too?

I'm just curious - I find the two music videos (both *Live* versions of LIVE performing the song! )

For anyone who may be interested, here's a little more background:

After 9/11, when the entire nation/world was still in deep grieving/healing, LIVE's song Overcome became kind of the "theme song for healing" related to the 9/11 attacks.

The first video (see above: the first post in this thread) in the Overcome post on my blog is from May 2002 - not long after 9/11.

The second (music) video is from LIVE's first "live performance" DVD, from a concert at a club converted from an old church, called the "Paradiso" - and the church "vibe" adds a rather amazing ambience/energy to the video, I find --- and the obvious power the song holds for the audience, even after 8 years -- is palpable.

And by the way ... not everyone thinks "9/11" when they hear the song; I don't.

For me the song Overcome is about the beauty of releasing the ego, and living unbound -- being willing to immerse in the ecstasy of the "beautiful drowning".

To become part of the holy wholeness -- as opposed to being "all numb in our castle" - as egos ultimately, always are -- and therefore, where we each and all feel like we "are" when we start on the "spiritual path", when our bhakti ignites, even a little -- when we awaken to the actuality of a path leading out of the dream of numbness .... and into the actuality of "this beautiful drowning."

Ed's (<_ Kowalcyzyk; singer/lyricist for LIVE) consciousness has a lot to do with the power of the song, I find.

As globally-respected author-philosopher Ken Wilber says, in a presentation with Ed, on consciousness and the power of "Avante Garde" art (<- video of this presentation is also linked via my blog - just follow the link above, in first post in this thread) ...

"The power of integral art resides in the consciousness of the artist."

(That's actually a minor paraphrase of the actual quote; the word-for-word version is available on my blog and/or by watching the video --- if you just want to see the Ken Wilber vid {and not the music vids} - you can go straight to YouTube, and just search on Ken Wilber and Avante Garde.)

I'll plan to provide direct links in this post a little later ... and in the meantime, just wanted to mention these few things.

Intending the Awakening of All,

Kirtanman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000