Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 The Gita and differences in the AYP approach?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hemanthks

Canada
59 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2010 :  2:00:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit hemanthks's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Oh, and he was married as well... to Radha, I believe.

Namaste Christi:

Krishna was not married Radha. He was married to Rukmini and Satyabhama (and 16,000 others).

Radha was one of the Gopis, and it is said that she was elder to Krishna. To quote from wiki:

"Her worship is especially prominent in Vrindavan, the place where Krishna is said to have lived. Wherein Her importance surpasses even the importance of Krishna. Radha's love for Krishna is held within Gaudiya Vaishnavism as the most perfect primarily because of its endless and unconditional nature. Thus she is the most important friend of Krishna, 'His heart and soul', and His 'hladini-shakti' (mental companion potency)"

Hemanth
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
921 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2010 :  4:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Chiming in a bit late

Having read several different translations/commentaries on the Bhagavad Gita, I would also recommend Yogananda's "God Talks With Arjuna", the 2-volume commentary. A fantastic prelude to that is the "Yoga of the Bhagavad Gita" (http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Bhagavad...35603&sr=8-1), also by Yogananda - this gem of a book is an introduction to kriya, the chakras, the yogic path and most importantly, the symbolism of the Mahabharata, its characters and Lord Krishna Himself. Many, many similarities and complementary to the AYP approach ..

Another very good commentary is by Swami Chinmayananda (also available on Amazon)- 18 slim volumes with word-to-word translation of the verses, with the option of reflecting on the words directly, without intervening commentary by someone else.

I've had the same experience as Karl - every time I go back to a specific chapter, I see it in a whole different light based on my own practices and openings.

BTW, the Bhagavatam, also composed by Vyasa, is the narration of Lord Vishnu's glories in His various avataras (not just the 10 many of us are familiar with) by Suka (Vyasa's son) to Pariksh*t, the grandson of Arjuna (of the Gita): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhagavata_Purana

Depending on the text/tradition of the Vaishnavas (Lord Vishnu's devotees), Radha is either given the utmost importance as the supreme devotee or not mentioned at all. However, every text describing Krishna's life will always mention Rukmini and Satyabhama, two of His 16,000 wives

In chapter III, verses 21-25 of the Gita, Krishna gives Arjuna (and us) a glimpse into the supreme yogi that He was - loved and enjoyed every minute of his life, yet the epitome of complete dispassion and outpouring divine love

kami
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000