Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Yoga sutras and samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:03:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am starting to add Samyama back into the mix. I have a question, do you suggest sticking to the sutras at first or kind of doing your own thing?

I am specifically wanting more passion in my life. Not just romantic, but also just an enthusiasm or zest for life and everything I do from work to meditation to my workouts to everything.

I used to have a colleague that would ask people every day: what is your PQ? PQ stands for Passion Quotient. His idea was that it didn't matter so much what you were doing as long as you were doing it with passion, zest, enthusiasm. I like that philosophy.

So would "passion" be something that I should work into my samyana practice?

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:10:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi solo....

I think part of the idea of samyama (hope someone will correct me if this is wrong in some way) is to let go of our ideas/beliefs and to surrender them to the silence so that it can do with us what is needed/best. Meaning, Yogani put together the sutras to be a well-rounded set of words that encompass most aspects of human spiritual existance. When we release these sutras into silence I think this is giving the silence active control to do what is best for us in every situation. I think it could be a good idea for you to start the practice of samyama again, but I think it is best to stick with Yogani's sutras and not start with your own words. Perhaps there is a reason you are feeling as you are. (like you need more passion). Perhaps this feeling is there for a reason. Everything happens for a reason. Perhaps you are MEANT to feel dispassionate right now. I say let God do His job, and just surrender to His will. A practice of samyama will definitely help this along, but I think the sutras are great as they are. This is all just my opinion though and should be taken as such. Wishing you much passion!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great answer Carson. Note that Yogani also relates Samyama to conventional prayer here: http://www.aypsite.com/301.html

Perhaps that is an approach to "seek" changes that are more targeted to the current ego's or loved one's need? In this way the Samyama AYP practice is not disrupted and stays lean. Unbeknown to the ego, the result of prayer/samyama will be what is REALLY needed.

-- jo-self
Go to Top of Page

solo

USA
167 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit solo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks!

Very nice insight Carson, very nice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000