Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Mantra meditation more powerful than the others?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kaserdar

91 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  11:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I was wondering what makes the "I am" mantra meditation (actually generally mantra meditation) more powerful than some other ways of meditation for example focusing on breathing. I personally don't have any meditation state experience yet. What i do is still reading and learning. So i was thinking limiting this mantra meditation for 20mins feels like its more powerful way than focusing on breathing. Is this correct? And therefore can we say that its negative impacts would be also more serious?
I'm asking this question because i think i never read for example focusing on breathing or a candle light should be in some limited time. Always written that in time your focusing ability will increase and you will become focused for longer times. So as long as you are focused its good.
And final question is what is the difference between "i am" mantra meditation and transcendental meditation?

Thank you in advance for your responses

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  11:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste kaserdar.....
quote:
Originally posted by kaserdar

I was wondering what makes the "I am" mantra meditation (actually generally mantra meditation) more powerful than some other ways of meditation for example focusing on breathing.

With mantra meditation there is the added effect of purification of the nervous system that is either not there or there in a much milder way with breath meditation. The vibration of the mantra helps to loosen obstructions in the nervous system and push them towards release. With breath meditation the main purpose is to use the breath as an object of concentration. You use the mantra in the same way, but with the breath there is less of a purification effect going on. Also, with breath meditation you may get to a point where there is no breath and then there is nothing to concentrate on....this won't happen with a mantra meditation. If the breath stops in mantra meditation you can still continue repeating the mantra.

quote:

I personally don't have any meditation state experience yet. What i do is still reading and learning. So i was thinking limiting this mantra meditation for 20mins feels like its more powerful way than focusing on breathing. Is this correct?

Yes.

quote:

And therefore can we say that its negative impacts would be also more serious?

If you push it too far/hard yes, I think you could damage yourself more with the improper use of mantra meditation then you could using strictly breath meditation.

quote:

I'm asking this question because i think i never read for example focusing on breathing or a candle light should be in some limited time. Always written that in time your focusing ability will increase and you will become focused for longer times. So as long as you are focused its good.

Yes, I think your assumption is correct. There is a time limit on the 'ayam' mantra meditations because lengthy use can create excessive purification and overload symptoms. This is not usually the case with breath or trataka meditations unless perhaps you are doing it for several hours at a time or something.

quote:

And final question is what is the difference between "i am" mantra meditation and transcendental meditation?

Can't help you there....haven't participated in TM meditation. I know they use mantras as well, but I could not say the difference between the two styles of practice. Sorry I can't help here.

Good luck!

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Apr 30 2009 11:21:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:01:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, YOgani says that mantra meditation is for entering inner silence and pranayama is for purifying the nerves. Concentrating on the breath instead of on a mantra is like pranayama - cultivating and purifying the nerves. So i don't agree with you here.

There are older threads which talk about transcendental meditation and AYP mantra meditation. They are basically the same procedure. AYP doesn't have cultish traps though.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  12:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

Here is Yogani's lesson on the Vibratory Quality of the Mantra: http://www.aypsite.org/22.html ..... and here is one on Deep Meditation, Purification and Karma: http://www.aypsite.org/298.html ....Hope this clears things up.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Apr 30 2009 12:37:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  7:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The mantra is better than just breath because it traps the thinking mind and keeps it placated while the vibration is working.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  10:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
some may find that when random thoughts come up, it is easier to let them go when they go back to the mantra rather then back to the breath.
my best to you
with love
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  07:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
The mantra is better than just breath because it traps the thinking mind and keeps it placated while the vibration is working.

quote:
some may find that when random thoughts come up, it is easier to let them go when they go back to the mantra rather then back to the breath.

Hi Ether and Neil,

This seems to be the case with most mediattors here but not all. I have practiced AYP deep meditation with AYAM mantra faithfully for more than 9 months every day finding that I was too sensitive to it (I could never do more than 10min at a time). This has been the experience of a few others as well, as I read in the threads. It seems true, then, that the mantra is indeed more powerful but it can also be too powerful for certain people.

I am doing just breath awareness meditation now and find it quite working for me. I can also transcend thoughts with it and I even see some advantages over mantra meditation is some aspects. So it is really a matter of choice for each invidividual meditator.

There are some threads that talk about the experiences with breath and mantra for sensitive meditators. See here for examples:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5388

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5115

And also this one from Yogani about the sensitivity issue:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=5103

All the best with whatever works!
YIL
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
YIL,

Do you find with focussing on the breath practice that the breath tends to stop more than it does when you use a mantra?

I presume this is the case because focus on breath is like pranayama.

And don't you ever feel as though you are suffocating sometimes? I found that my breath would want to stop but i couldn't tell whether i was holding it or not, it seemed difficult to ascertain. Having said that though, i counted a pause after exhalation and it lasted for 30 seconds and there is no way i can do that forcefully. But it was difficult to tell whether i was holding my breath out and when i would breathe in it felt like i would purposely relax it out sometimes, while other times it wanted to stay inside for a little bit.

You see, i have a bit of a conundrum. I always considered Paramahansa Yogananda to be my guru for various reasons and so it would make sense to follow his teachings. But after finding AYP and trying out the practices i eventually found that forgetting about the breath took away these suffocating feelings. And then i discovered websites that showed that Yogananda wasn't exactly spotless and i communicated with someone who even knew him who didn't have good things to say. Nevertheless, i cannot dismiss my personal feelings due to the many coincidences and dreams i have had connected with Yogananda, nor can i avoid the fact that his writings connect with me in a way no other author seems to.

Another part of Yogananda's teachings is his emphasis on bhakti, and he says things like you should "cry" to God - that is, speak to God, "reveal yourself, reveal yourself", while you are quiet in meditation and peering into the darkness of closed eyes. I have done this many a time, and nothing much has happened which always then resulted in me feeling incredibly frustrating. I have asked on these forums about expectations before, and the consensus seems to be that sometimes they are ok and sometimes they get in the way.

So i am confused about what to do.

Another part of Yogananda's teachings which seems to have met with disfavor on these forums is his ideas about pratyahara. He says that pratyahara is when the 5 senses retire inwards and are shut off from the external world, just like in sleep, but that in meditation this occurs because the heart calms down a lot due to the non-pumping of venous blood from the heart into the lungs so that the blood can be purified. Whereas people on these forums have said that pratyahara is not like this. Yogani says it is the expansion of the senses inward but it appears to be the case that the 5 external senses don't shut off, since in meditation you can still hear outside noises if they are loud enough.

I don't mean to subvert this thread with my personal difficulties but they tie in with the main theme of breath concentration.

Would you have any advice?

Edited by - gumpi on May 01 2009 10:01:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  10:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Gumpi,

I don't know if I'll be able to help you but I'll try. I believe that each person has to find their own way as only they know what works for them or not (after all, the guru is in you). But I also understand that this may take time, effort (i.e. seeking), and, especially, persistance. The truth is inside you but sometimes it is so clouded that we may go around in circles for a while until we find it. This may take a long or short time, depending on the person and many other factors.

Here is my take based on my own experiences (please know that these are my experiences, not a general rule):

quote:
Do you find with focussing on the breath practice that the breath tends to stop more than it does when you use a mantra?

No I don't. It is more or less equal in both practices. What changes is the quality of the mind or conscioussness.

I can use a metaphor to explain these differences: imagine that meditation (or life even!) is like a trip across a river. Mantra meditation it's like doing it on a jet-engine boat, whilst breath meditation it's like a boat on sails. The first speeds quickly over the waters, while the other sails gently. On the later case you have more 'time' to look at the scenery and to be aware of what is going on in the body. That is how it is for me anyways.

So, when the breath stops when I do breath awareness there is indeed a much more clear noticing that it has stopped and there is this feeling like "oh s***, and now what do I do?!". One is more aware of what is happening inside I feel. Like I wrote somewhere else before, for me using the mantra is like getting a hammer blow to the head . It almost drops me unconsciously almost immediately. It is very powerful like that, "sucking me in" in a way. But this is different for different people, I am apparently on the 'sensitive' side of the spectrum. I might even go back to the mantra one day, who knows? Right now it feels too strong for me.

So what do you do when you notice the breath slowing and stopping in breath meditation? Well, I think this is really up to the person. the Buddha, who taught breath meditation, apparently said somethign like this regarding this:

"1. When you are breathing in be aware that you are breathing in.
2. When you are breathing out be aware that you are breathing out.
3. When the breath is suspended inside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended inside the body.
4. When the breath is suspended outside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended outside the body."

[I borrowed this from a post by Christi - http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#48028 ]

As you can see he himself was kind of ilusive in this. The important thing I think it's the noticing, including the little 'anxiety' that may come when one notices that the breath has suspended and don't know how to go about it. I think that, with time and practice, the body will be so calm and relaxed, and your awareness so open and receiving, that you will naturally sustain a bretahless state without effort and without any thought or anxiety. But, like I said, this takes practice. You have to travel your own uncharted territory, your own uncharted waters.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Regarding Yogananda and his teachings I can't tell you much because I know very little of what he taught. I thought it was kryia yoga? Did he actually also teach breath awareness? I was unaware of that. But like I said at the end is not what a particular teacher tells you. Each person is unique and you must find your own way. I say drink from this or that teaching and committ to one, at least for some time, and keep being aware of what works and does not work for you. Keep an open and relaxed attitude about things (this is actually the most difficult thing to do). You want at the same time everything but you expect nothing (this is true bhakti for me). It is at the same time wanting desperately to arrive at a destination, and knowing deep in your heart that you have already arrived (this is true faith). That is the magic and, form my point of view, the attitude that will take you the furthest.

So, about the "crying " to god. Do that if you want, but expect nothing. You feel frustrated at the end because you were expecting something in return. KNOW that you already have it all. You just need to unveil the veils. But be easy about it. And above all trust yourself, your own inner light. This is the hardest to do I understand. But the more you listen (truly listen, without any need to extract anyhting) your insides, the more you will learn about yourself in ways you never imagined, and the more you will progress, without actually doing nothing in the process

Regarding pratyahara - don't be too bounded by concepts, like with everything else. You will know what this is once you start practicing, going inside. It is nothing else than going inside, then turning your senses inwards and listen and feel, just as you do outside. No need to shut yourself from the external world in teh process. Hey, you might even find that the external world is not seperate from the internal world, and vice-versa! And then, what are you shutting yourself off from??

Hope this helps gumpi.

All the very best.
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - May 01 2009 :  11:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks YIL.

I meant more like i am controlling the breath than any anxiety over it wanting to stay out by itself. It is this controlling thing which seems to be the issue for me at the moment and i don't really know what to do to overcome it.

Have you ever had an experience in meditation where you "hear" a soft, silent voice speaking to you? I believe people call this the still small voice within. I had it happen to me a couple of times and it was interesting. It seems that God talks in many different ways.

I know what you mean about the inside and the outside becoming one. I have already experienced this feeling although i got it through cannabis. It is something that never left me since 1997, but i feel it is also part of a mental illness. It seems to be spiritual and psychic as well as confusing. It is not the same thing as natural enlightenment i don't think.

I do believe i am connected with Yogananda deep down inside. I have known for years. It's just that some things are confusing, especially since Yogananda is not here on earth. Yes he taught a practice where you concentrate on the breath and intone a mantra along with it. Like So Ham.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  5:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To the mind many things are confusing brother Gumpi. A friend of mine told me a couple months ago "Neil, you focus so much on what you disagree with, you put your whole being behind it, when you learn to focus on what you agree with and put that same effort into it, you are going to do great things."
figured I would share,
with love
Brother Neil
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  1:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

To the mind many things are confusing brother Gumpi. A friend of mine told me a couple months ago "Neil, you focus so much on what you disagree with, you put your whole being behind it, when you learn to focus on what you agree with and put that same effort into it, you are going to do great things."
figured I would share,
with love
Brother Neil

Neil, that is a damn awesome quote! I think I learnt from that..thanks!
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  7:09:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

quote:
Originally posted by brother neil

figured I would share,
with love
Brother Neil

Neil, that is a damn awesome quote! I think I learnt from that..thanks!

Your welcome. :)
Thank kevin,
or Kaptain Kev Guru as I call him.
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  7:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@gumpi

I am also extremely attracted to Lahiri Mahasaya and Yogananda. Just look at this:
http://www.ranchi.com/tourism/views...Download.jpg

I always have to lough if I see this pic, that man was awesome. When it comes to pratyahara, the level Yogananda and in general the kriya lineage speaks of is very deep. It is complete physical death for others, as it contains a full stop on all physical and astral movements. This includes the stop of breath and heart acitivity and the astral enegetic feelings,sounds,visual activities etc. and goes directly into contentless pure bliss awareness. The om-sound according to Yogananda is also beyond astral activity, but I could not verify this aspect so far. I don't think that these kind of levels are possible while someone is fully engaged in worldy duty. Okay, Yogananda did it while studying. That's what is driving me also =)

When it comes to the topic in my experience so far, if you have time or are willing to spend lots of your time, the best practice is to stay aware of everything inside and outside the body without doing anything ele. I don't know why, but this brings me to depths I never reached through mantra meditation. The reason is, I have never experienced the fusion of mind activity and pure bliss awareness for longer than some seconds within mantra meditation, while resting in no mind and increasing silence on the astral and mental levels made it possible to dive into pure bliss awaeness for many minutes several times per session. The only "problem" is, such depths only start after 2-3 hours of meditation, but then the peace and bliss is very deep and heals you on every level. That's the only thing which feels like being home for me. The "problem" with mantra meditation is, you are not able to do such lengths of meditation without getting serious energetic overloads. So it takes more time on a level of weeks and months to experience outside of meditation states of heightened awareness and peace. That was my obersavation. I can imagine, as Yogani says it, that pure bliss awareness also rises within mantra meditation after some time. The big advantage of the mantra way lies in the dosability. You can do it in small amounts 2 times a day and still go on very fine.

Watching the breath or on a deeper level watching everything that is in this moment within and without the body is something you can't dose. You can do so by minutes, but the depths come over many hours, are pleasant and seemingly have no end. Intuition kicks you out of the session, that's when it ends most of times. And because of this, you don't really have stability outside of meditation time, as these both blend into onanother very fast and you start being blissed out in beingness in situations where you rather need a working mind =P. The bliss consumes you completely out of control.

For those who want to give their whole time to this, there are probably other ways than mantra meditation. On the other side I am lacking experience of long periods of mantra meditation which are surely possible after some months or years. Yogani is the only one so far I know who most probably knows what happens after 20 or 30 minutes of DM without being burned =)
Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - May 06 2009 :  01:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everybody,

As per my understanding of Yogananda's lessons, he says we should match the length of the ham and saha with the length of the in and out breaths, whatever they may be. This is only possible if you are aware of both. The only condition he puts is that the breathing should be natural and not tampered with. We only control the length of the ham and the saha.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

JDas

USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  9:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit JDas's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
>I believe that each person has to find their own way as only they know what works for them or not (after all, the guru is in you).<

Hi. I haven't met anyone yet who is exactly like me, or even remotely like me, so I expect that something that requires the subtlety of meditation would be the same. My experience with yoga is that it requires a knowledge of the self to be effective, a feeling quality that you develop over time so that you can feel the effect of say Nadi shodhana or Shirshasana. Yah gotta feel it. I am not there yet, but I'm working toward it. To expect to be understand yourself by reading about others' experiences may be misleading if you yourself have not developed some sensitivity to what's going on inside of you. This is a long-winded answer which ends up with 'I agree with you.'

Tks.

Love,

Jon

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

Hi Gumpi,

I don't know if I'll be able to help you but I'll try. I believe that each person has to find their own way as only they know what works for them or not (after all, the guru is in you). But I also understand that this may take time, effort (i.e. seeking), and, especially, persistance. The truth is inside you but sometimes it is so clouded that we may go around in circles for a while until we find it. This may take a long or short time, depending on the person and many other factors.

Here is my take based on my own experiences (please know that these are my experiences, not a general rule):

quote:

No I don't. It is more or less equal in both practices. What changes is the quality of the mind or conscioussness.

I can use a metaphor to explain these differences: imagine that meditation (or life even!) is like a trip across a river. Mantra meditation it's like doing it on a jet-engine boat, whilst breath meditation it's like a boat on sails. The first speeds quickly over the waters, while the other sails gently. On the later case you have more 'time' to look at the scenery and to be aware of what is going on in the body. That is how it is for me anyways.

So, when the breath stops when I do breath awareness there is indeed a much more clear noticing that it has stopped and there is this feeling like "oh s***, and now what do I do?!". One is more aware of what is happening inside I feel. Like I wrote somewhere else before, for me using the mantra is like getting a hammer blow to the head . It almost drops me unconsciously almost immediately. It is very powerful like that, "sucking me in" in a way. But this is different for different people, I am apparently on the 'sensitive' side of the spectrum. I might even go back to the mantra one day, who knows? Right now it feels too strong for me.

So what do you do when you notice the breath slowing and stopping in breath meditation? Well, I think this is really up to the person. the Buddha, who taught breath meditation, apparently said somethign like this regarding this:

"1. When you are breathing in be aware that you are breathing in.
2. When you are breathing out be aware that you are breathing out.
3. When the breath is suspended inside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended inside the body.
4. When the breath is suspended outside the body, be aware that the breath is suspended outside the body."

[I borrowed this from a post by Christi - http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....page=2#48028 ]

As you can see he himself was kind of ilusive in this. The important thing I think it's the noticing, including the little 'anxiety' that may come when one notices that the breath has suspended and don't know how to go about it. I think that, with time and practice, the body will be so calm and relaxed, and your awareness so open and receiving, that you will naturally sustain a bretahless state without effort and without any thought or anxiety. But, like I said, this takes practice. You have to travel your own uncharted territory, your own uncharted waters.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Regarding Yogananda and his teachings I can't tell you much because I know very little of what he taught. I thought it was kryia yoga? Did he actually also teach breath awareness? I was unaware of that. But like I said at the end is not what a particular teacher tells you. Each person is unique and you must find your own way. I say drink from this or that teaching and committ to one, at least for some time, and keep being aware of what works and does not work for you. Keep an open and relaxed attitude about things (this is actually the most difficult thing to do). You want at the same time everything but you expect nothing (this is true bhakti for me). It is at the same time wanting desperately to arrive at a destination, and knowing deep in your heart that you have already arrived (this is true faith). That is the magic and, form my point of view, the attitude that will take you the furthest.

So, about the "crying " to god. Do that if you want, but expect nothing. You feel frustrated at the end because you were expecting something in return. KNOW that you already have it all. You just need to unveil the veils. But be easy about it. And above all trust yourself, your own inner light. This is the hardest to do I understand. But the more you listen (truly listen, without any need to extract anyhting) your insides, the more you will learn about yourself in ways you never imagined, and the more you will progress, without actually doing nothing in the process

Regarding pratyahara - don't be too bounded by concepts, like with everything else. You will know what this is once you start practicing, going inside. It is nothing else than going inside, then turning your senses inwards and listen and feel, just as you do outside. No need to shut yourself from the external world in teh process. Hey, you might even find that the external world is not seperate from the internal world, and vice-versa! And then, what are you shutting yourself off from??

Hope this helps gumpi.

All the very best.

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000