Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Will this help my situation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Magnatolia

Australia
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  04:09:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Magnatolia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I struggle to be true to my core, to essentially be true to being a man. Like I over-analyse everything, think way too much about talking to a girl I don't know, focus too much on what I think I should be doing rather than just doing it, and basically I want to be confident, true to myself, charismatic, exciting, and just plain having fun. I'm even like this with friends, unable to truly be there in the moment.

I've been told that to do this I should meditate. I've got two options, one is to focus on the area between the nose and the mouth and focus on it when I breathe in and focus on it as my breath blows over it. The 'I AM' meditation tends to make my mind wander more which is probably a good sign that its clearing more out.

But at the moment I'm doing it for 5 minutes to train myself and everytime my mind wanders its something weird. Like twice my mind wandered to a game I played the other day, once to a show on tv that I watched early this morning, these don't really seem to be clearing anything out of me. Is this just he surface? If I go longer and more often will I eventually get the deep-seated issues that are holding me back?

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  09:35:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hard to say.

I mean, I was doing AYP meditation one day and I was very in the moment, naturally humourous, attractive.
I had been doiing AYP meditation at another point in my life and I became more introverted and feminine.

I wouldn't rely on the meditation for this kind of benefit.

So what to do?
Ask me 3 months ago and I'd have loads of suggestions. Today I'm not so sure.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  10:32:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Magnatolia and welcome to the forum,

Meditation slowly over time trains the mind to no longer attach to the thoughts that come along which take us out of our natural state of being which is naturally confident, true to self, spontaneous, loving etc. It is a gradual process and the order in which thoughts start to fall away is unknown even though eventually the other side will be reached where thoughts no longer impede upon our innate happiness. If there is a desire to target specific thoughts more immediately that cause anxiety, lack of confidence, frustration etc. then adding in some self-inquiry like the type taught by Byron Katie in her book "Loving What Is" is a nice addition to daily meditation practice.

In regards to practicing the "i am" meditation, thoughts will come up. It is the process of gently bringing the attention back to the mantra that is the key part of the equation. No need to set thoughts up as something "weird", over time with meditation practice, you will find yourself more in the here and now and more present than ever before.

Best of luck!

Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2009 :  03:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It helps me to stay on the mantra if I don't forget that thoughts require an acquiescene of my will, and that they can't exist by themselves. Strong-will helps make my meditation better. You should will be willing take responsibility for your thoughts.

Edited by - Maximus on Apr 19 2009 04:52:48 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000