Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Recommended reading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  1:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am in the middle of reading a book called 'Everything Forever' by
Kevin Giorbran.

This is really an incredibly interesting viewpoint of the universe and ourselves. Instead of being a spiritual right of passage, it instead plows a perfect furrow between modern physics and spiritual under standing.

For the first time I can read about a connection between meditation, stillness and older faiths.

In a nutshell. The universe is not created from nothing, existence is the default mode. What we refer to as empty and nothingness such as space, is really something that is full of everything it's just that we are not able to see it.

He describes the connection between grouping and symmetry. As the Universe expands space is stretched flat and becomes perfectly symmetrical. Perfect symmetry is like a soup, it contains everything ordered throughout (a bit like taking everything out of the refrigerator and blending it, everything still exists except it is all combined in one homogeneous blend). This is where grouping disappears and symmetry takes over, it is perfect symmetry that we see as nothingness.

He describes meditation as a way of appreciating this perfect symmetry and understanding on a deeper level how the Universe truly works.

It's cracking stuff and a real thought provoker. It just seems very natural and simple.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  2:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Karl....
quote:
Originally posted by karl

As the Universe expands space is stretched flat and becomes perfectly symmetrical.

I have not read the book, but I am currently doing a lot of reading on "super-symmetry". According to all accounts I have read by people like Steven Hawking and the likes indicate that only in the moments BEFORE the "big bang" was there any symmetry in the Universe. In fact, as I understand it, if there WAS symmetry in the Universe nothing would exist. It is only because there ISN'T symmetry anymore that existance is even possible. The way I have understood what I have read is that before the Big Bang, all forces were combined into a "superforce". Meaning that fission, fusion, electromagnetic energy and gravity, the four forces at work in our Universe, were all one before the big bang. But after the big bang they split into their respective forces. But the fact is, that gravity afterwards is not at equal force compared to the other three. The other three forces all stayed about the same strength while gravity dropped in its strength....if this had not happened we would not exist. Nothing would exist. If symmetry in the Universe existed, there would be no gravity. If you take all the particles in the known Universe and bring them all back together like they were just after the big bang, you would see that there is NOT an even distribution between all particles....there is more space here then there. If there was symmetry all the stars would be evenly spaced out etc etc.

Just figured I would put my two cents in since I am currently reading up on a similar subject.

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Apr 07 2009 2:11:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  5:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Hey Karl....
quote:
Originally posted by karl

As the Universe expands space is stretched flat and becomes perfectly symmetrical.

I have not read the book, but I am currently doing a lot of reading on "super-symmetry". According to all accounts I have read by people like Steven Hawking and the likes indicate that only in the moments BEFORE the "big bang" was there any symmetry in the Universe. In fact, as I understand it, if there WAS symmetry in the Universe nothing would exist. It is only because there ISN'T symmetry anymore that existance is even possible. The way I have understood what I have read is that before the Big Bang, all forces were combined into a "superforce". Meaning that fission, fusion, electromagnetic energy and gravity, the four forces at work in our Universe, were all one before the big bang. But after the big bang they split into their respective forces. But the fact is, that gravity afterwards is not at equal force compared to the other three. The other three forces all stayed about the same strength while gravity dropped in its strength....if this had not happened we would not exist. Nothing would exist. If symmetry in the Universe existed, there would be no gravity. If you take all the particles in the known Universe and bring them all back together like they were just after the big bang, you would see that there is NOT an even distribution between all particles....there is more space here then there. If there was symmetry all the stars would be evenly spaced out etc etc.

Just figured I would put my two cents in since I am currently reading up on a similar subject.

Love,
Carson

Read the book. None of those things you have mentioned are disputed, it just fits like an amazing skin on the bones of the physical skeleton of the universe.

By the way, the universe is spreading out and moving towards entropy, it is actually accelerating which means space is becoming flatter. Some parts of the universe are now at only 3 degrees above absolute which amazed me.

Whats more it brings we humans into the picture and explains how things work in nature. From human violence to gases in space.

As above so below, so below as above.
Go to Top of Page

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  02:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Astrophysics and metaphysics have always interested me. I must admit I'm a huge nerd in this topic.

Spaceandmotion.com cosmology has a great review of the current Big Bang inspired models of the universe. Here's some Schopenhauer in addition:

quote:
[P]hysics demands causes, and the will is never a cause. Its whole relation to the phenomenon is not in accordance with the principle of sufficient reason. But that which in itself is the will exists in another aspect as idea; that is to say, is phenomenon. As such, it obeys the laws which constitute the form of the phenomenon. Every movement, for example, although it is always a manifestation of will, must yet have a cause from which it is to be explained in relation to a particular time and space; that is, not in general in its inner nature, but as a particular phenomenon. In the case of the stone, this is a mechanical cause; in that of the movement of a man, it is a motive; but in no case can it be wanting. On the other hand, the universal common nature of all phenomena of one particular kind, that which must be presupposed if the explanation from causes is to have any sense and meaning, is the general force of nature, which, in physics, must remain a qualitas occulta, because with it the etiological explanation ends and the metaphysical begins. But the chain of causes and effects is never broken by an original force to which it has been necessary to appeal. It does not run back to such a force as if it were its first link, but the nearest link, as well as the remotest, presupposes the original force, and could otherwise explain nothing.
—Arthur Schopenhauer, The World as Will and Idea, § 27, p. 182.

The problem with the majority of modern theories is that they don't satisfy the principle of sufficient reason: a birth-time singularity would be a causa sui (cause of itself) that is not logically possible. All these spontaneous symmetry changes and Big Bangs sound like the glamorous Hollywood movies with a lot of special effects, but it's really as fantastic as a vehicle running without any source of fuel. But if we suppose an Infinite universe, of which our observed universe is only a infinitesimal portion, then it's clear that such space would've existed infinitely long... always without a beginning or end.

Best of regards!

Edited by - onomatopoios on Apr 08 2009 03:25:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  07:50:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by onomatopoios

Astrophysics and metaphysics have always interested me. I must admit I'm a huge nerd in this topic.

Spaceandmotion.com cosmology has a great review of the current Big Bang inspired models of the universe. Here's some Schopenhauer in addition:

quote:
[P]hysics demands causes, and the will is never a cause. Its whole relation to the phenomenon is not in accordance with the principle of sufficient reason. But that which in itself is the will exists in another aspect as idea; that is to say, is phenomenon. As such, it obeys the laws which constitute the form of the phenomenon. Every movement, for example, although it is always a manifestation of will, must yet have a cause from which it is to be explained in relation to a particular time and space; that is, not in general in its inner nature, but as a particular phenomenon. In the case of the stone, this is a mechanical cause; in that of the movement of a man, it is a motive; but in no case can it be wanting. On the other hand, the universal common nature of all phenomena of one particular kind, that which must be presupposed if the explanation from causes is to have any sense and meaning, is the general force of nature, which, in physics, must remain a qualitas occulta, because with it the etiological explanation ends and the metaphysical begins. But the chain of causes and effects is never broken by an original force to which it has been necessary to appeal. It does not run back to such a force as if it were its first link, but the nearest link, as well as the remotest, presupposes the original force, and could otherwise explain nothing.
—Arthur Schopenhauer, The World as Will and Idea, § 27, p. 182.

The problem with the majority of modern theories is that they don't satisfy the principle of sufficient reason: a birth-time singularity would be a causa sui (cause of itself) that is not logically possible. All these spontaneous symmetry changes and Big Bangs sound like the glamorous Hollywood movies with a lot of special effects, but it's really as fantastic as a vehicle running without any source of fuel. But if we suppose an Infinite universe, of which our observed universe is only a infinitesimal portion, then it's clear that such space would've existed infinitely long... always without a beginning or end.

Best of regards!

I find this subject incredibly fascinating, there is a sense that anyone could discover something just by turning over a few stones or kicking a few leaves about.

During DM, I know that I am somehow close to it, even though I cannot readily understand 'it' in the same way I cannot understand an emotion, but on a far greater level, because I am not able to feel, just sense. Something like death and eternal existence rolled into one.

Like the source of an enormous spring of water, it is not the water but the source that created it and I am just a tiny portion of the water droplets, but somehow I sense where I sprang from and still have a connection there.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 15 2009 :  7:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000