Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Help on the Heart
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Frank-in-SanDiego

USA
363 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  2:12:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank-in-SanDiego's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hari Om
~~~~~

Hello Sadhu.

Some months ago there was a discussion on putting ones attention on the heart area during meditation... there were some ideas/suggestions on how one may direct their attention there innocently.

I cannot seem to find that string of conversations. Can anyone assist? And are there other ideas/suggestions on this? e.g. simple methods?
I bring this up as it is something that is continually discussed and called out in various sruta-jnana ( scriptural knowledge) and smriti (that which is remembered) as the location of the Atman.
They call out its location, size ( 1/100 the of a 1/100th width of a hair; the size of ones thumb, etc etc and the suggestion of putting ones awareness/attention there.

This perhaps may not align perfectly with some of the direction/suggestions given by Yogini. May I suggest we are pioneers here and no innocent technique that may prove fruitful should be left unconsidered.

Thanks for your kind help.

Frank in San Diego

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  4:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Frank:

Is this the topic you are looking for?
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....rt,breathing

The heart has been discussed from several angles so far. There are so many ways to approach it. Let's face it, the heart is involved in everything we do, whether we are thinking about it or not. The spiritual condition of our heart determines how we express on this earth plane.

In AYP, the heart is discussed a lot from the standpoint of following our yearnings in the bhakti sense in relation to doing our practices, and in our activities in daily life also. We have the greatest respect for the whispers of the heart. It is the divine in us,

There is also the heart breathing technique covered in the AYP lessons at http://www.aypsite.org/220.html and http://www.aypsite.org/221.html which is an effective combination of bhakti and inverse direction spinal breathing pranayama between the third eye and heart.

There is always room for different points of view on practice, especially on the heart, which has unlimited dimensions, so feel free to explore. The tiniest place in the heart is as large as the cosmos inside.

May divine love reverberate endlessly in your infinite ecstatic heart space!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  5:33:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd suggest not going too specific/intellectual when it comes to heart. Maharshi goes into all sorts of details about location, etc, but then essentially says ahhhhh, forget it, and just seek self. You can't discuss heart intellectually. It is the very epitome of paradox.

I'll give you something that has given me very direct entry to the heart space. When you start meditation, don't begin intoning mantra...instead, direct your hearing inward and listen for it. First in your head, then spreading out to the inner cavern of your body. Listen inwardly (pratyahara! reversal of the senses!) for the sound of mantra. This has been huge for me, it acts beautifully on my heart, but your mileage may vary.

One more practice (which is getting WAY far away from AYP) is to simply let your body - your meat - spray divine love indiscriminately in every direction, serving passively for a higher power. Don't be part of it, don't make it happen, don't take credit, don't try to direct or focus it. Just serve as a neutral conduit/transformer for streams of divine love which neither come from you nor are directed at you or by you. Let it just happen through you, as if the cells of your body are being "played" by an unseen hand. The more you drop out and let it happen, the more it happens. And that dropping out and allowing will teach you things about surrender that will open up a lot more things.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Oct 22 2005 5:36:00 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000