Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Western Esoteric path
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joanna

Estonia
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  1:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joanna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
What do members think of Western Esoteric paths - qabalah, ceremonial magick, etc?

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  5:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I know quite little but I hear that Bardon is very effective and ebenficial for some.

I think it is realy cool that these practices has actualy been in the west all along. And that the old descritpitons of alchemy often are extreemly similar to taoism.

I know a couple of people that are into some sort of hHermetic mystery society in addition to their yoga and find it to be very beneficial.

In general there is often a lot of focus on magick in the western systems and I find that to be a huge diversion. Besides what they spend sooooo much time on cultivating can be done quite quickly in the fourth Jhana (I think it is at least) of the Vipassana system. As I understand you can gain most siddhis quite easily here without doing much else than consentrating on telling yourself you want it and will get it and then it happens spontaniously (oftentimes at least). So it is better to just focus on getting the fourth Jhana if you believe in and want such skills. Personaly I prefer never to gain much such powers. For most people they are a burden to have.

Other than that I like much of what I have read about the use of ritual in western alchemy.

Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  8:25:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Joanna

What do members think of Western Esoteric paths - qabalah, ceremonial magick, etc?

They seem complicated to me. But I've only superficially examined them.

However, the Gnostic view really appeals to me. The Gnostic gospels and teachings of Jesus resonate with me in a way that my old Catholic upbringing did not.

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2009 :  3:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.thebaptistshead.co.uk/

Good site on the western tradition. The Duncan guy claims to have gotten enlightened through a combo of western magick and Vipassana. To me that kind of work with an Angel seems very close to Tibetan deity yoga.
Go to Top of Page

Joanna

Estonia
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2009 :  4:04:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Joanna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input. The following is an experience I had whilst exploring a facet of Ceremonial Magick. Whilst many forum members may not be familiar with this branch of esoteric exploration, I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts on the entity (old lady) I observed:

I am currently working my way through the Enochian Aethyrs and
decided with my latest exploration (VTI/UTI) to see if Salvia Divinorum would help things along. I had tried Salvia twice prior to this, the first time not getting much of an effect and the other time feeling its effects strongly but not getting any visual hallucinations. I did my banishings and read out the call in Enochian, before taking two or three hits of x5, the plan being to then read the call out in English then scry. About two minutes after taking my puffs I 'saw' a horrible crone sitting in front of me. She was 'there' as real as real as possible, and not just a distortion of something else as you might get with LSD. She didn't speak, but the sense I got was that she was interested in what I was up to/attracted to the working in some ways. She didn't seem particularly malevolent, even if though she looked pretty hideous. The vision disappeared in due course, and, somewhat shaken, I got on with the business of finishing the call in English and scrying. It was hard for me to focus as first, as I kept thinking about Hecate's sister. After a while I started to get images, which later checked out as being representative of this path. My question is, do other readers think that the woman I saw was just the drug and my expectations interacting, or was I seeing a lower astral entity or something? Would be interested to hear of any similar experiences. Cheers!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000