Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 All Day Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  04:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear All,

Best wishes to you today.

I just thought I might tell you about a form of meditation that I do, I don't know if anyone teaches it, it's just something that I started doing.

THE PROCESS

It's simple.

Wherever I'm going, whatever I'm doing, I remain constantly aware of the breath (breathing deeply) and continually calmly repeat a mantra to myself. In this case I'm repeating "I choose to experience this moment" (because it's part of another course I'm doing).

Whenever I find myself slipping into thought, I just bring my attention back to the breath and back to the mantra. Of course if I need to concentrate on something: work, a conversation etc. I concentrate on that. But if there's nothing I'm supposed to be concentrating on, my attention is 100% on the breath and the mantra.

From the moment I wake up, to the moment I go to sleep, I'm doing this meditation.

WHAT HAPPENS

Sometimes I lapse into joy. Last summer I lapsed into a sort of non-dual awareness or bliss consciousness for about a week. It was amazing, I was meditating even while I was sleeping and feeling incredible. Unfortunately my ego grasped at it, I couldn't resist thinking lots about it, and then I lost it.

Generally I just feel a sense of complete serenity, like all my energy is very balanced.

Sometimes strong negative emotions come up: some rage, frustration, anger. These could come seemingly out of nowhere. Sometimes I feel strong feelings of frustration at watching the breath and the mantra, and temptation arises to do it differently or stop doing it.

I just continue watching the breath and the mantra through all these things and eventually they pass on.

Sometimes huge emotions come up and I have go and sit quietly and cry (joyful) tears as I let them pass on.

I also meditate twice a day with eyes closed, and allow myself to go really deep.

For me though, all day meditation is greatly beloved. You can be really unhappy, do a day of all day meditation, and realise your unhappiness was pretty much like a child's unhappiness that it couldn't get its favourite toy. A momentary, slightly foolish :), passing episode that you look upon with compassion.

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't try to use this meditation to "control" yourself into a state of calm or happiness. Calm and happiness may result from it, but if anger and frustration result, that's good to. The meditation is about surrendering completely to the moment, even if it's a bad moment. It should NOT NOT NOT be a technique used to try and make something happen. Just for remaining hyper aware of what is, then surrendering to it.

Another good thing to pay attention to is if you are resisting anything in the moment. You may be resisting feeling upset, or resisting feeling angry. If you are, that's good too, just surrender to the resistance.

Best regards

Edited by - mr_anderson on Mar 12 2009 06:47:07 AM

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  05:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very inspiring post, thanks Mr Anderson
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  10:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh yes, this is really interesting, thanks,

this is almost exactly what we do in Vipassana retreats, in the Mahasi Sayadaw tradition of Burma. They call it simply uninterrupted mindfulness throughout the day. The only difference is, that we observe and mentally label whatever happens to be in the foreground of the mind. It's effects are exactly the same as you described. I tried to keep it going for two weeks uninterruptedly maximum, so far.
So entering the bathroom in the middle of the second week would look something like this:

"intending, intending, raising, raising, stretching, stretching, touching, touching, touching, pressing, pressing, hearing, intending, intending, pulling, pulling, cold, cold, thinking, thinking, pulling, pulling, pulling, intending, raising, raising, hearing, hearing, distracted, distracted, angry, angry, judging, judging, intending, pushing, pushing...."

It's a great thing, one can discern "atoms" of experience, after some practice.

Roman
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  10:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"intending, intending, raising, raising, stretching, stretching, touching, touching, touching, pressing, pressing, hearing, intending, intending, pulling, pulling, cold, cold, thinking, thinking, pulling, pulling, pulling, intending, raising, raising, hearing, hearing, distracted, distracted, angry, angry, judging, judging, intending, pushing, pushing...."

hmmm...looks awfully tiring all of this!

But I did find in the past that a repetition of a mantra throuhout the day is of some value. But now, I find it even of more value (and less mentally straining) to just bring awareness to the breath. Very calming. But like mr. anderson says above, it is not a method to change any given situation, but to be aware more of the present moment.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  11:40:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi mr. anderson....

This is basically mindfullness meditation (at least the way I was taught it). I was taught to do this practice during a sitting meditation, but I prefer to do it like you, during waking activity. I like doing AYP meditations twice daily, and doing mindfullness meditation during the day. I can find that the purification can be a bit much at some points though, so I would just caution you to be alert for any symptoms of overload as this can happen. When you are overwhelmed with negative emotions etc. it may be a good idea to back off for a bit until things get back to a stable level again. Less is more after all. Best of luck!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  11:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same thing Mr. Anderson. But I also allow myself to "lapse" into unconciousness, like when I'm around a bunch of people and I just wanna let loose into the group mind and have fun. Too much gives m,e a headache
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  12:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
interesting feedback guys.

mimirom - must be great going on vipassana retreats

Carson - thanks for the advice. Do you find adding the mindfullness + twice daily DM enhances the rate of "purification"?

anthony - I know what you mean, too much gives me a headache too
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mr. Anderson....

Yes, I do find that this increases the rate of purification. Hence the need to watch for overdoing symptoms. You seem to feel this too, whether yo urecognize it or not....saying that "too much gives you a headache" means that likely it is an overdoing symptom for you. Best of luck.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by mr_anderson

Another good thing to pay attention to is if you are resisting anything in the moment. You may be resisting feeling upset, or resisting feeling angry. If you are, that's good too, just surrender to the resistance.

This, in and of itself, is a very powerful practice. Thanks for posting this and sharing your experiences, mr. anderson

Peace
cosmic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000