Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 The Aghori Tradition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  4:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends...

Recently Ananda provided a link to a story done by Lesley Branagan at ABC Radio National. Here's the link for reference. http://www.abc.net.au/rn/encounter/.../1782966.htm
This story is on the Aghori tradition in India. This was my first real exposure to any of the philosophy of this tradition. As far as I understand it, most Aghori's don't descriminate against any kind of substance, taboo or not, and use this as a method to end dualistic thinking. (If I am wrong or if this is oversimplifying it too much, someone should please say so) Anyways, what I am hoping to banter around here a bit, is how you all feel about this as a system to liberation. I can certainly relate to it a bit coming from a background of substance use (and abuse), and from really feeling liberated by the fact that I wasn't bound by cultural taboos (at least in this area). I could (and would) use anything and everything I came across. I didn't descriminate. I didn't take it as far as the Aghori do (I wasn't doing amaroli or using menstrual blood or eating human flesh), and I got attached to some of the substances, but is it possible to use this path to liberation? Obviously it is for some, but how realistic is this approach do you think?

Love,
Carson

onomatopoios

23 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2009 :  4:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit onomatopoios's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Carson,

I have admired the Aghori ever since the I learned about them a year ago. If you are able to "digest" the fierceness and radicality of that path, then why not engage? I see nothing repulsive in any of these Aghori practises, but on the other hand I don't feel particularly attached to them either.

Obviously the Aghori practise is meant to appear offensive and contrarian to the outsiders, which is a powerful method to shake people off from their etched dogmas.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  06:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Carson,

and the story about the use of substances such alcohol and ganja is purely ritualistic for the aghoris and if i remember correctly it is done while giving a sort of liberation for the cells which are being destroyed due to the use of substances and scd it's mainly to give them the guts to perform their rituals.

about aghoris, i am very much interested in them but i don't see myself anywhere anyhow being capable of doing a lot of what these people do but no one knows where the waves of life might take him.

by the way aghoris do practice tantra and yogic practices like the ones we do which means that there is a lot of purification in the nervous system which is going on.

but their path is a path of bhakti before all, they really ake for the divine they want it here and now and they are willing to do whatever it takes to reach him and there it is before everything else what makes it possible for them to achieve liberation.

i ake the same as them and i am willing to do anything and accept a lot of pain to be with the beloved, but i can be a veggan and still achieve that.

the roads to god are many and as sri Ramakrishna puts it "if the heart of the sadhaka is true in it's approach to the beloved, than even if there was smthg wrong in the practices or the religion of the sadhaka God himself will intervene and correct what's false and attract that sadhaka toward him."

kindest regards,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000