Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal breathing 101
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JonJon

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit JonJon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This will probably seem like a basic question, but I'll ask it anyway. When doing spinal breathing, are we to imagine energy travelling up and down our spine as an external observer, or is our consciousness meant to be travelling up and down the spine? Also, sometimes I have fully inhaled or exhaled before the imagined energy has gone from top to bottom of vice-versa, with the result that I'm left holding my breath. Any tips.

Finally, when doing pranayama recently I have felt my hands and feet contorting slightly on inhalation or exhalation. It's a pleasurable, tingly, kind of feeling, but quite wierd. Is this normal.

Thankyou!

themysticseeker

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  09:28:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit themysticseeker's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Often instead of visualizing, I will just feel a sense of traveling up and down my spine, as if a ghost finger were stroking the front of my spine inside my torso. You are doing well. Carry on.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  10:57:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JonJon....
quote:
Originally posted by JonJon

When doing spinal breathing, are we to imagine energy travelling up and down our spine as an external observer, or is our consciousness meant to be travelling up and down the spine?

As I understand it it can be either. Whatever is the most natural for you at the time. SBP will change over time, or at least that is my experience. At some points you may be following the sushumna from outside of it, watching with the awareness the energy moving from the root to the brow and back again....at some points you may actually be inside the spinal nerve as you travel up and down with your attention. At some points the sushumna may even transform into something else. I have had experiences where I am doing spinal breathing on the sushumna but the nerve is no longer in my body but is a tree truck and a branch, or is out in the open air and I am doing SBP from the ground to the stars. So my point is basically that SBP can and will change over time and I don't think it is vitally important that you try to force it to be the same every time. If one session you are outside the sushumna then that's ok. If the next session you are inside the nerve that's ok. If in the next session you are underwater and doing SBP from the ocean floor to the ocean's surface that is ok too. Just as long as the attention stays on the sushumna. This is my understanding and if I am wrong to say this I hope someone will correct me.
quote:

Also, sometimes I have fully inhaled or exhaled before the imagined energy has gone from top to bottom of vice-versa, with the result that I'm left holding my breath. Any tips.

This is just the clunky part of SBP and it can come and go. Your breath and your attention will sync up the more you practice and the more SBP becomes second nature. This is very common and is nothing to worry about. If it is really distracting you and you feel like this is a big issue I would suggest trying to just put the attention at the ajna spot on the inhale and on the root for the exhale. Don't travel the nerve at all and just "put" your attention at the top and the bottom until the clunky stage passes.
quote:

Finally, when doing pranayama recently I have felt my hands and feet contorting slightly on inhalation or exhalation. It's a pleasurable, tingly, kind of feeling, but quite wierd. Is this normal.

This is normal. I find that on the inhale I occasionally find my toes curling. This seems to me to be caused by the pressure of the energy being pulled upwards. It seems to "clench" the lower extremities. I don't think this is anything to worry about and actually could probably be considered indicitive of a productive session. You are doing well.

Best of luck!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

JonJon

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit JonJon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments guys!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  11:03:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JonJon,

Carson has covered it all.

This topic may help too.
A couple of questions
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000