Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Kechari - huh?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wigswest

USA
115 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  01:01:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Okay, guys, this is an incredibly ignorant post, but...is kechari dangerous? Like "swallow your tongue", choking dangerous? And what is it about "snipping" yourself??

I'm all about spiritual advancement, but this one has me shaking my head...

New to this obviously... very much on the sceptical side.

:)

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  06:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi wigwest, there is no need for worries.

ketchari isn't dangerous and it's worth the effort to achieve it and i recommend it heartily but as Yogani puts it in his ketchari lesson the knowledge presented is for those who are having symptoms of ketchari like the rolling back of the toungue so take that in concideration as well.

about snipping haven't done it myself but i take Yogani's word for it, plus there are two other methods i know of who work together talbiya kriya and the push back the frenum technique check these out if you are interested.

kindest regards,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  08:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you should only do it if you feel drawn to it. I see the lessons as there to use if you feel you need it/want to do it. No obligations of any kind, you are your own master

And you may not feel the impulse to use it for many months or years or never really and that is totally fine. But it is good to have a lesson there if it happens that you feel you want it isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  08:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by wigswest

Okay, guys, this is an incredibly ignorant post, but...is kechari dangerous? Like "swallow your tongue", choking dangerous? And what is it about "snipping" yourself??

Hi Wigswest,
Kechari is not about swallowing the tongue. In the first four stages, kechari is pushing the tongue up the nasal pharynx/nasal passage.. so there is no danger of choking. The final stage of kechari involves pushing the tongue down the throat toward the heart. It is an advanced stage that most people don't do.

You can read up some more
Lesson 108 - Kechari mudra
quote:
Stage 1 – To the point on the roof of the mouth where the hard and soft palates meet. This is the line of demarcation that must be crossed before stage 2 can be entertained.

Stage 2 – Behind the soft palate and up to the nasal septum. It is a short trip, but a momentous one. Initially this is done with help from a finger pushing back under the tongue, going to the left or right side of the soft palate where entry is easiest. This may require "breaking the hymen" of the membrane under the tongue. See below for more on this.

Stage 3 – Gradually working to the top of the nasal pharynx and septum. This takes us to the bony structure containing the pituitary gland.

Stage 4 – Entering the nasal passages from inside and moving upward beyond the top of the pharynx toward the point between the eyebrows.

The stage 5 is covered in the AYP Book

Here is an image that may help:
http://www.aypsite.org/kechari_image1.html

About snipping, well the snips are very small and no one so far has reported any form of infection.

Like YIL said, it is a practice that can be taken up if you feel drawn to do it. When I joined the forum I was the same way.. posts on two topics that did not interest me were kechari and amaroli. That changed over time. So, just take it easy, if you are ever drawn to it, it's here, you can try it.. if not.. no harm.

Edited by - Shanti on Feb 28 2009 08:44:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  10:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kechari might be somewhat dangerous.

I was practicing it on a long plane ride once, and I think I had a heart attack. At the time I was only 22!

You're dealing with your nervous system, which works a certain way to maintain your health, and kechari is a strong nervous system adjuster. It's best done in very small doses starting out...and best done after your inner silence is good. So it's not something that should be rushed at all, in my opinion. I tend to think that if you're not able to get into level 2/3/4, then that's a good sign that the nervous system isn't ready for it...but that's just my personal belief and I'm sure others have had good results with it after snipping the frenum a lot and really pushing it.

Maybe the moral of the story is just: don't do it on a plane!
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  11:39:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the moral is that - don't do it outside the practice and also don't over do it. Initially, I have felt that Kechari puts some pressure on the heart (i guess it increases heartbeat?)...it was little discomfort. but that went away after few sessions. doing stage 1 within the sessions should not do any harm unless if you experience too much sensitivity or purification. then you can drop and attempt it when you are ready.

Kechari helps to bring the awareness/attention to the 3rd eye region.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000