AYPsite.org Forum
 Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Eckhart Tolle quotes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  1:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
"There are no random events, nor are there events or things that exist by and for themselves, in isolation. The atoms that make up your body were once forged inside stars and the causes of even the smallest event are virtually infinite and connected with the whole in incomprehensible ways."

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  2:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
E.T., phone OM !!!
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  10:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tolle is so quotable! I have a quote of his on my bedroom door.

Thanks for sharing :-)
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  05:17:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Q. If you call some emotions negitive, aren't you creating a mental polarity of good and bad, as you explained earlier?

A.The polarity was created at an earlier stage when your mind judged the present moment as bad; this judgement then created the negitive emotion.

P66 The Power of Now

Edited by - Sparkle on Feb 15 2009 05:17:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  4:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

Thanks for starting this thread because I love the ways that ET captures ideas in pithy little phrases sometimes. My latest favorite is:

"thought based reality."

When I first read that in his news letter the other day, I thought, that nails it so well and it very is usable to. That just says so much to me. I immediately juxtaposed that with "witness based reality" or "presense based reality." The unreal from the real.

Thought based reality is "not this, not this," whereas witness based reality is "that".

Thought based reality is past and future. Witness based reality is totally Now.

Because the witness can never exist anywhere except in the Now. Its very nature is Now. It is ever present awareness.

"The mind made self, deriving its identity from the past and its salvation in the future."

My all time ET favorite.

The very nature of thought is an effort to escape the now.

The person, with their "story," their "history," to use ET's terms, is a spin off, a knock off of the witness, created by its identification with past experience.

The problem for the person is to become aware of this identification and acknowledge their inherent fiction and then endeavour to bring the nervous system to a level where this ever present awareness and sense of self as the witness can be sustained as the normal baseline state of consciousness.

As this occurs, the sense of self shifts from the person to witness.

What is real shifts from thought based reality to witness based reality.

In truth, thought based reality does not deserve the status we grant it. Thought based reality merely exists in the now, as thoughts linking the past and future, the ever persistant tendency of the mind.

When the nervous system is sufficiently purified and witness based reality becomes constant rather than occaisional or intermittant, this is how it is perceived, and thought based reality and witness based reality assume their true relationship with one another.

Thought based reality becomes just another sensory field with the thoughts and feelings as its sensory objects, mindstuff, on par with the sight of a tree, the sound of a bird, the smell of a flower.

All is observed and integrated effortlessly by the inner stillness of the silent witness.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi yb,

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

Here's another Tolle quote along the lines of what you write from his latest book "Oneness with All Life":

"Time is seen as the endless succession of moments, some "good" some "bad". Yet, if you look more closely, that is to say, through your own immediate experience, you find that there are not many moments at all. You discover that there is only ever this moment. Life is always now. Even past or future moments only exist when you remember or anticipate them, and you do so by thinking about them in the only moment there is: this one."
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  4:56:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

You are welcome.

Here is another quote. I know I am off track as far as ET quotes go but it is on the subject and struck me when I read it this morning:

"The mind can never figure itself out. Only by transcending the mind can we know what the mind and everything else really is."

Yogani

That is from the Self Inquiry book, page 10. Anyways, it applies to what I wrote in my last post.

Here is an ET quote that relates to yours from my favorite Tolle cd, Living a Life of Inner Peace:

"You are the Now."

I laugh and laugh and laugh when I listen to this particular cd.

Best,yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Feb 28 2009 4:57:47 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000