AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Alan Watts on Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
A beautiful video over a lecture of Alan Watts talking about Yoga:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzppewk9a7I

I do enjoy very much the way this man speaks, the way he explains things and ponders about things. Have watched many videos of him talking. Very good marriage of western and eastern thinking and philosophies. How come I only "met" him now?

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  3:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
interesting that he talks about how just constantly being present is a form of yoga
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  08:07:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife and brother neil,

Maybe Eckhart Tolle is an Alan Watts knock off. I read a few of his books years back and thouroughly enjoyed him. Very smart and insightful, but a bhogi. Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Best, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Feb 09 2009 08:10:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  08:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, what's a bhogi?
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife,

There are three catagories of people. Yogis, bhogis, and rogis. At nite, these three are doing different things. Yogis are pursueing the pleasures found in meditation, inner sensuality. Bhogis are pursueing the pleasures of the senses, outer sensuality. Rogis are bhogis who have are suffering the effects of too much bhoga.

They manifest tamas (roga) rajas (bhoga) and sattva (yoga). Inertia, activity and purity.

There is a good short bio of Mr. Watts on Wikipedia.

By refering to him as a bhogiraj, no disrespect is intended to Mr. Watts whatsoever. He was a gifted individual. It is kind of playful term I use to refer to some people sometimes who enjoy there food and drink. I hope that makes sense out of it for you.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:46:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey yogibear,

Hmmm...interesting, thanks for the explanation! I did not know about those "types" of people...

I like to hear Watts speaking, for sure, but can understand what you mean. Well, there is always something good to learn from everybody, that's the beauty of life!
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  03:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

There is also another explaination that I have always heard was...

Yogi-One who eats his meal once a day.(I guess nothing nothing need to be explained here..)

Bhogi-One who has his meal twice a day.(bhogi also means enjoying the senses..ie being in the outerworld, feeding the 5 senses a lot)

Rogi-One who has his meal three times a day(rogi also means disease)
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  06:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi vijikr,

Thanks, I like your explanation. It is very short and pithy and gets the point across. It sums it up very well.

But that makes me a rogi. I don't like that.

And welcome to the forum. Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  06:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogaislife,

quote:
I like to hear Watts speaking, for sure, but can understand what you mean. Well, there is always something good to learn from everybody, that's the beauty of life!

Agreed! Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

vijikr

United Arab Emirates
413 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  07:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks yogibear for the welcome
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2009 :  8:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by yogibear

Hi vijikr,

Thanks, I like your explanation. It is very short and pithy and gets the point across. It sums it up very well.

But that makes me a rogi. I don't like that.

And welcome to the forum. Best, yb.

and what would your ego prefer you to be referred as?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000