Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 deepest mathematic and spirituality
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:19:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've always been wondering whether the claim that creativity and spirituality are linked somehow: something I couldn't see much linkage in the normal sense of the word "creativity". Throughout history, how many of the important discoveries, other than those within the spiritual realm, are made by someone who's "spiritual"??

But recently I came up with one extraordinary man who's close: Alexander Grothendieck. This man, unlike some so-called genius pop up somewhere and claimed to know the mystery of the universe, was well-recognized mathematician. In fact, he'll be on the list of the top 10 most influential pure-mathematicians, kinda obtaining a Newton or Gauss type status. When I was in graduate school, his works are something a algebraic geometer must learn about. The only thing that prevented him from evn greater is himself: he gradually left the mathematical community, turn to various areas and finally to spirituality. He refused some of the highest prizes of mathematics. He left his house and everything and went to somewhere (debatable) where he refuses all contact. A good account of his life can be found here: http://www.ams.org/notices/200808/tx080800930p.pdf It is not known whether he died or not. Notice though that he used the word "meditation" vaguely, but more to his free thinking rather than meditation as we understand it. Although, from the nature of the type of mathematics he's interested in, and the nature of his later writings (e.g. his interest in dreams, and his poetic account of human nature ...), I'm sure his mind flows so freely and creatively, and perhaps a bit crazy you could say.

So far, he's the only modern man I found who is at the top in the rational realm and yet spiritual in OUR sense. There could certainly be more, since a famous scientist is famous not because of his private life or personality, and therefore those parts are largely ignored. Another top mathematician who refused a top prize ( Field's medal), abandoned mathematics and live a half-renouced life is Grigori Perelman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grigor..._mathematics Again we are talking about a mathematician who's the top 10 in a decade. It is much less clear what's in this man's mind, though. But probably something of a high nature, from the limited comments he gave verbally on his disappointment about the moral standard of the mathematical community.

It seems though that the spiritual inclination of these man is another in-born character in addition to their ingenuity. The quality (deep contemplation on mathematics, to the exclusion of everything else) helped them made the greatest discovery almost impossible by someone who's doing it for a fame. I've yet to see someone who's not creativity to begin with and get the flow later on from spiritual path, though.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  2:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alvin,

Alex Grey could be considered a "creative spiritual genuis" I think. He's not a mathematician, but an artist, but he definitely is in deep connection with the Source I think. If you don't know him you can read about him here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Grey and if you don't know any of his work, his most famous stuff is probably what was displayed in CoSM or the Chapel of the Sacred Mirrors. This gallery closed on New Years 2009 and his website is now shut down, but you can still view some smaller versions of the mirrors here: http://www.sacredmirrors.org/mirrors_view.html .... The more exciting works are the ones numbered from 14-21 in the list. Hope you enjoy!

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000