Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Spinal Breathing Pranayama Troubles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

powerhawk

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit powerhawk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I added SBP to my routine a few weeks ago and have been having troubles every time. I've just been attempting to take my attention up and down my spine with my breath.

Here are problems I run into:
My attention tracks up and slides of to the side.
My attention moves too fast for my breath.
My attention moves too slow for my breath.
When my attention reaches the center of my head, it moves slightly to the side instead of straight forward.

It is just as bad now as it was when I first started... I'm a bit confused.

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  04:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Powerhawk,

quote:
I added SBP to my routine a few weeks ago and have been having troubles every time. I've just been attempting to take my attention up and down my spine with my breath.

Here are problems I run into:
My attention tracks up and slides of to the side.
My attention moves too fast for my breath.
My attention moves too slow for my breath.
When my attention reaches the center of my head, it moves slightly to the side instead of straight forward.

It is just as bad now as it was when I first started... I'm a bit confused.

Don't worry about it. Just stick to the procedure, which means trying to follow your spinal colum up to the ajna chakra with your inbreath, and back down to the perineum with your outbreath. If it goes a bit wobbly, it doesn't matter, it will settle down in time.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  08:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Powerhawk,
I will agree with Christi. Just keep up with your practice and it will all smooth out. If however it gets to be a huge distraction and is frustrating you, for now you can jump your attention from root to brow during inhalation and from brow to root during exhalation... don't try to follow your attention/breath up and down the spine right now. Then once you are comfortable with this, slowly introduce the tracing of the spine during spinal breathing.
This post by YogaIsLife may help.

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

Hi all,

An update on this as I found some progress and it might help others looking in the forums for help with similar problems.

I have been mainly doing meditation and feel energy moving inside and obstructions dissolving slowly. I self-pace even in meditation and my ideal time is 10min. But I continue to wonder why I feel this disconfort in the head when doing SBP (I would like to add this practice in) and now I find that it is a bit better, but still unconfortable. I asked Yogani for his advice and one thing he suggested is working at the moment: to concentrate only on the brow on the end of inhalation and at the root at the end of exhalation and not care much for the acutal path going up and down. I find that like this I effortlessly "pass" through the affected areas without strain and at the same time see the exercise dissolving and loosening the obstructions and feel ecstasy for the first time with this practice (I even moan a little spontaneously sometimes!). It is quite powerful. In fact, it is so powerful that I think I'll have to continue to self-pace and cut it completely for a while longer and come back to it later agian and go like this step by step slowly. And I don't even do a minute of it! Impressive, thank you AYP.

Also check out the lesson Lesson 131 - Q&A – Coordinating sambhavi and spinal breathing
It gives you an exercise to practice following your awareness up and down the spine, and then add your breath to the exercise.. Altho this lesson is written with Sambhavi mudra in mind, you can do this even without adding Sambhavi mudra.
Pick an object on the other side of the room and gaze at it. Don't examine it, or even "see" it. Just put your eyes on it and leave them there. As you are doing that let your attention go to your perineum. It isn't hard to do, is it? Now, keeping your eyes on that object, let your attention go up the center of your spine to the point between your eyebrows. Don't worry about your breathing. Just do the gaze on the object and move the attention. When your eyes wander off the object, and you notice, just easily put them back on it. Use the object there in front of you as a visual feedback. Go up and down the spine a few times with your attention without taking your eyes off the object. Practice this for a while, until you can go up and down your spine with your attention without moving your eyes off that object very much. If the eyes or attention go off, then easily bring them back to the task at hand. It is a habit you are developing, much like learning to pat the top of your head with one hand while rubbing your belly in a circle with the other hand.

Keep doing the exercise until you can move your attention up and down the spine while keeping your unseeing gaze on the object. The object is your sensory feedback that enables you to keep your eyes in one place while your attention is going somewhere else.

Once you have good success doing that, then try it in actual spinal breathing.

Go to Top of Page

powerhawk

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2009 :  4:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit powerhawk's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I like using the technique where I just focus on the two points back and fourth.

I have the most trouble going from the top of the spine to the third eye. It's the only part where you really have to move horizontally.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000