Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 A few more questions.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  4:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Now when I meditate I do so in a relaxed state, the energy rushes have died down, but in many ways it just seems boring. Every so often there are a few fragments of a song or the corner of an image (in most cases I haven't a clue what the image is and in many ways it is a mixture of visual and sensing). I just let the sounds and visions disappear and carry on with the Mantra.

Trouble is, it seems a bit like any new hobby. At the start there are amazing things happening, then it becomes routine and slightly tedious.

I do have the sort of character that can carry on doing something for a while without any obvious benefit, but I am really not sure if anything is really changing ? Would I know if I had ? Cant say I am any calmer and work seems to be hacking me off more than usual.

I do play drums and guitar, so I know about dedicated practise. At least, even if there is a temporary halt in progress it only takes a few days of practise to begin to see the shoots of improvement. It's really quite difficult with meditation as there is no yardstick of progress.

Any hints and tips from those who have reached a similar situation.

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  4:34:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

What you are describing is very common and should be seen as a bit of a milestone or a sign of progress in and of itself! It is very common for beginning meditators to see huge daily improvement right off the bat, and then have the experiences or "side effects" of meditation start to wane and then completely plateau or even go down hill a bit. But if you keep up with your practices there will be another set of "top of the mountain" type experiences that you are talking about and that will help to increase your bhakti as you will start to see the cyclical nature of this journey. But remember that what you are going for here is NOT experiences, but a slow gradual change in our outlook on life. This takes time and dedicated practice. If you are the type of person you say you are, you should have no problems. Keep practicing and you will see!!!

Love,
Carson

Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  5:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Karl,

I'm a musician too! I play the cello, and once I played bass guitar for six years. I also find that learning to play an instrument makes it so much easier to approach a spiritual path later.

Well, it looks like you're coming across thína-middha, our good friend in meditation. Yes, almost all meditators know him well... English speakers usually call him "Sloth-torpor or boredom".

Check out discourses on "The five hindrances" in Buddhist scriptures.

The trick is ----> (according to my teacher, as well as my own experience) to observe the boredom-state itself. Turn it into an object of your observation. How is it? Once you manage to get interested in it, it's not boring anymore...

Mettá,

Roman

Edited by - mimirom on Dec 11 2008 5:59:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  01:53:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies........now before I read your replies I went down stairs early to start meditating.

The thing is, I was getting angry with myself and began to use the chant 'I am' in a throw away internal voice......as in "I am nothing". Suddenly a stronger voice chimed in, just for a moment and I knew it was different, something else. I lost it for a while and carried on with my own internal 'I am' rant and it came back. This time I realised 'I am ' was no longer me, although it was connected to me.

This has truly staggered me this morning. For the first time ever I realise I am part of something much more infinite. Its difficult to describe, like looking in a mirror a seeing a reflection and knowing it is my image but is not me. Its part of me, but isn't me. It was incredibly emotional and I realised that this same thing was in everything else even in the very worst of life.

Is this 'one of the peaks' ????
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  07:50:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, that is something that happens along the way, and we continue practicing. . .
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  07:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl,

Treat thoughts of boredom as any other thought that comes up in meditation and simply go back to the mantra. Consider measuring your progress in terms of months and years. Am I more calm than I was last year, does a particular issue cause as much angst as it used to? Am I noticing the relationships with others around me seem to be improving, do I feel happier overall? It can be subtle sometimes, the progress and it won't all be bells and whistles, but we don't master anything worth-while overnight that I'm aware of.

quote:
This has truly staggered me this morning. For the first time ever I realise I am part of something much more infinite. Its difficult to describe, like looking in a mirror a seeing a reflection and knowing it is my image but is not me. Its part of me, but isn't me. It was incredibly emotional and I realised that this same thing was in everything else even in the very worst of life.

Is this 'one of the peaks' ????

Sounds like a wonderful experience, the recognition that we are not what we originally took ourselves to be and that it is much more infinite and intimate than that. Worth continuing the practices for, until this is realized and recognized in every moment rather than just in glimpses?
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  11:58:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I should have probably prefaced the question with the knowledge that I am an NLP practitioner so in many ways the work on myself from the perspective of everyday life is always improving, with a big leap during the first few months of practitioner status. I had lots of family saying that they saw big changes.

What I have found with NLP is that although the theory works, there are still personal doubts that exist. I look to Yoga to provide some of those inner strength answers that provide permanent change and understandings on a more spiritual level.

I was beginning to think it was having little effect until this morning. The power of that discovery has left a lasting impression throughout the day and I know there must be so much more to very tiny corner that has been discovered.

Boredom has now vanished, replaced with a desire to get on with practise until that next mountain peak.

PS when do I get allowed to say Namaste
Go to Top of Page

mimirom

Czech Republic
368 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  4:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit mimirom's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karl once again,

reading through the other posts here I feel that I should specify one thing. My advice as to what to do with boredom in meditation was rather from another technique. A Vipassana meditator would do it this way, but AYP deep meditation is slightly different I guess. Just slightly. Frankly, I'm not experienced in deep meditation.
Anyway, what I've suggested is good. If you choose to take it as simple inspiration, I believe it won't hurt.

As to your experience, Isn't it beautiful to know? You are free...

Mudita,

Roman

Edited by - mimirom on Dec 12 2008 4:38:37 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000