Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 meditating on something ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  2:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been reading a book by sankara Saranam called 'God without religion'.

In it there is a passage which reads:

Hatha yogis, misinterpreting the spiritual import of the ancient yoga tradition, focus more on achieving physical immutability and less on the changeless substance of self.Likewise popular methods of meditation , especially those emerging from modern movements of Zen, Shambhala, and Vipassana, "attempt to empty the mind". The coverted void, however, is the opposite of hought free awareness of the expansive self arising from effortless superconscious concentration centred in the spine and brain.

In lieu of this superconscious intensity, meditation methods in the west tend to encourage passivity and quietude. According to the theory of self, however, the cerebrum is like any muscle and benefits from being excersised. Passive meditation, unable to enliven the spine and cerebrum, prohibits the practitioner from intuiting direct knowledge of self. worse, some practitioners confuse pasive meditation with freedom from the mind. Swami Vivekananda, upon observing this phenomenon , remarked, "when persons without training and preperation try to make their minds vacant, they are likely to succeed only in covering themselves with tamas, the material of ignorance which makes the mind dull and stupid, and leads them to think they are making a vacuum of the mind"

Can anyone comment on the Yogani method with respect to this passage ? Obviously we concentrate on the mantra of 'I am' is this proper concentration, or is it something which is frowned upon in this text??

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  3:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2008 :  3:15:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Yogani's method is what this text implies meditation should be, in my opinion. It implies activity and stimulation of the brain and central nervous system by awareness of thoughts that pass through the mind and the introducing and re-introducing of a mantra that resonates in the spinal nerve. As I practice it it seems to me to be a good method of meditation, not the passive kind explained in the text. At the same time it is not trying to create nothing (not even a void, but lettign things be and just being aware of what happens in the mind and how it behaves as thoughts pass. While doing this we become aware of the awareness behind the mind. I think this is what effective meditation wants to cultivate.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000