Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Questions on karma yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2008 :  5:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
how do i practice karma yoga?

Edited by - porcupine on Dec 02 2008 7:49:53 PM

Michael Beloved

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  6:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Michael Beloved's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many definitions about the various yogas. Karma Yoga and Jnana Yoga are mentioned as a two course system, which Krishna said he taught some ancient kings and others ascetic (Gita 3.3). For the kings who had to rule, he taught Karma yoga , which he said he would again teach Arjuna who was the son of a king. Arjuna was born in a royal family. His father was King Pandu. If you study the Gita carefully you will see that the person who is highlighted as an example is King Janaka. All the persons mentioned in reference to karma yoga in Gita are Kings. Bascially that means that these persons practiced yoga and then applied the detachment gained to their ruling affairs.
However nowadays karma yoga has come to mean many other things. for instance sometimes temple service as seva is called karma yoga. If someone works and gives his money to temple, he is considered to be doing karma yoga. So if you ask for advice, maybe you could get more effective instructions if you define what you are aiming for.
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  8:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From studying the Gita (what I can remember, I lost my copy somewhere last year) it seems like Karma Yoga is just acting without being attached to results. Following this line of thought one would never even begin to practice Karma Yoga because the whole idea of the practice implies some 'skill' that is being perfected. I use the term skill loosely, but you know what I mean.

It seems to fit in the with Buddhist idea of charity without any concept of charity, but once the concept of charity is lost how would I know I was practicing charity?

Does this mean that I am practicing Karma Yoga when I blink in large rooms and draw on desks (anything and everything is karma yoga), or does it mean that I am practicing Karma Yoga only when I give myself over to an action completely and stay in the present moment?

It seems to me the latter is more likely but whenever I am in the now there is no charity or concept of charity. If it is the former, then why make a distinction by calling it a yoga? Or is does karma yoga simply consist of taking an action and deeming it karma yoga?

Should I follow your advice or do the opposite? More importantly should I cut my hair?

Edited by - porcupine on Dec 03 2008 9:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2008 :  12:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by porcupine

It seems to fit in the with Buddhist idea of charity without any concept of charity, but once the concept of charity is lost how would I know I was practicing charity?

If the concept of fun is lost, how would you know if you're having fun? Do you need your mind to say "Hey I'm having fun" in order to know that you are?

I see this the same way.

quote:
Originally posted by porcupine

Does this mean that I am practicing Karma Yoga when I blink in large rooms and draw on desks (anything and everything is karma yoga), or does it mean that I am practicing Karma Yoga only when I give myself over to an action completely and stay in the present moment?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. In Karma Yoga, every thought, word, and action is surrendered to God or your highest ideal. Even the lowliest of actions like cleaning a toilet is surrendered to That. The results of your actions are also surrendered. This includes the direct effects of your actions, as well as any blame, praise, recognition, credit, etc. that might result from your actions.

Mother Theresa once said that she saw Christ in the face of every person she helped. Every action was service to God. That is Karma Yoga.

With rising inner silence, Karma Yoga starts to happen spontaneously. You will find yourself helping people, without any strings attached, just because it's what's there is to do right now.

There's probably more "technical" information out there on the subject, but I'm rather uneducated in these matters.

With LOVE, always
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

porcupine

USA
193 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2008 :  8:58:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit porcupine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thanks cosmic, your response clears up a lot of confusion I've had for a long while now
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000