Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 fast paced?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  8:59:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I believe yogani siad in the book about doing slow postures in preperation for meditation. I am curious, would a kundalini style asana routine not work with the Spinal breathing and Deep Meditation that is perscribed here? THe reasoning behind wanting slow asanas is? one of the reasons i ask, is when i get out of bed i am slow, lethargic, would faster postures be more advisable for someone who is on the lethargic side?
thanks brothers and sisters,
we are one, in the same
brother neil

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2008 :  9:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Neil said: THe reasoning behind wanting slow asanas is?

Hi Neil,
Maybe this lesson will help...
Lesson 147 - Q&A – Sequencing of asanas, pranayama and meditation
quote:
As you have figured out, exercise is best done after meditation, not right before. With meditation, we are systematically bringing the mind and body to stillness. This stillness is a primary source of all spiritual progress.

Asanas and pranayama are part of this process of going to stillness. With easy bending and stretching we begin to quiet the nerves, and prepare the spinal nerve for pranayama. With pranayama, we further quiet our entire nervous system and cultivate it in a way that prepares it for deep meditation. That is the traditional sequence for best results in a routine of practices -- asanas, pranayama, and meditation. And it really does work.

I suggest you consider doing the easy bending and stretching portion of your asanas at the beginning, then do pranayama, and then meditation, so you can get the full benefit of the above-mentioned sequence. After meditation and adequate rest coming out, then it is a good time to do more vigorous physical exercise.

So, first we do those things in the best order to take us in to pure bliss consciousness, and then we come out refreshed and ready to be active in the world. Vigorous activity after meditation is not a problem once we have taken time to come completely out. Activity helps stabilize the bliss and ecstasy in our nervous system. That is how we transform to become the walking enlightened, instead of the walking whatever we were before.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000