Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Floatation Tanks: any experiences?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was considering trying an hour in a floatation tank to see if it might help me get deeper into my meditation. Supposedly people who use them often have out-of-body experiences as the senses are drawn away from the outside world. It seems like it might help with pratyahara as well. Unfortunately, it seems to be fairly expensive, so I'd only be able to do it once a month at most. Would it still be worth it even if it's so infrequent or would I have to go more often to get real benefit? I was thinking maybe one or two really deep experiences might carry over into my daily meditation practice if I "got the taste of it," so to speak. Then again, it could be a waste of sixty bucks. Any experiences with this? Thanks.

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  9:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome tamasaburo
This has been discussed here Floatation tanks
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  9:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never tried a tank, but I've run into sensory deprivation lots of times by accident. Usually I don't have the time to meditate. I used to lay at the bottom of a swimming pool with scuba gear and my eyes closed.
i work often in very old, very large buildings with all kinds of areas that are not used, not lit, and underground. I stumble upon these while looking for electrical panels, and shut my flashlight off, and realize there is absolutely no light or sound. My ears and eyes go through multiple stages of trying to focus, trying to listen, only to come up with nothing.
A couple times i have had time to sit down and meditate. It does help me to skip through the first stage of quieting enough to ignore outside influence. But beyond that it's the same as regular practice.
Sometimes I hear ghost sounds. The other day I heard probably an electrician yell something from a distance that they would have said in 1881 when the building was built. This was in the middle of complete silence when no sound was getting in from the outside. It wasn't spooky. I felt like I had brought myself to their time of long ago.

Edited by - Etherfish on Nov 12 2008 9:21:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The link that Shanti posted is worth a look even if you're not interested in flotation tanks. It's almost like a sketch comedy.

The response from Jim and His Karma to Lavazza's after affect from a flotation tank is so funny that I was crying: LOL:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....ID=1187#7625

Take care:

VIL

Edited by - VIL on Nov 12 2008 10:44:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Better be careful with floatation tanks or you might turn into a raging gorilla! Haha (that's a reference to the movie Altered States based on the life of John Lilly)

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  10:56:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with CarzonZi, the only experience I have of a sensory deprivation tank is the movie " Altered States " ... a really good story of the choice of merging with the primordial soup vs merging with another human being....I won't spoil the ending...but my wife says I look a lot like William Hurt (when he had hair).

Edited by - machart on Nov 12 2008 11:14:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

lakshmi_shegar

USA
12 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  05:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit lakshmi_shegar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

Thanks for posting that link with the discussions. It was useful i did get a chance to know more about from others experiences.

Thanks,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000