Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

foralways

Sweden
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  1:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit foralways's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
hello all...

i am practicing meditation with the "I AM" mantra, trying to get customized with this.

my question is does it matter if I do the 2x20 mins at different hours each day? or will the irregularity disturb the processes?

i am experiancing very good things from yoga and meditation, and i just realized thanks to this forum that i am trying to explain the experiances too much with my mind. so now i am trying to lay back a bit and ust keep on with the meditation each day, and just try to enjoy the saticfaction when it comes.
and when thoughts come, which i cannot avoid of course, when i realize i am analyzing, i just go back to life and try to feel my body like i go back to the "I AM" when meditating.
or should all thoughts be allowed? are they a part of the process? or is the thought already finished and used when i realize i am caught up in it? are there bad thoughts and good thoughts? is it good to question? i hope i am making some sense.
any other tips on how to think less and experiance more?

another question i have is if it is possible to use music as a mantra?

and how important is the seating position while you meditate? and why? i think it was mentioned in one of the lessons... that any position is ok. but i suppose that is only in the beginning?

hm, that was about it.
i am happy to tell you that today during yoga i realized that i exist. and i just reminded myself now... i exist. i am sure of it :)

Jo-self

USA
225 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  2:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jo-self's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by foralways

hello all...

i am practicing meditation with the "I AM" mantra, trying to get customized with this.

my question is does it matter if I do the 2x20 mins at different hours each day? or will the irregularity disturb the processes?

The meditation will initiate subtle changes in metabolism and so forth. So, being regular is important. Even the same place is important, "satwa". Look at it this way, do you sleep at different times? Usually not.

quote:
i am experiancing very good things from yoga and meditation, and i just realized thanks to this forum that i am trying to explain the experiances too much with my mind. so now i am trying to lay back a bit and ust keep on with the meditation each day, and just try to enjoy the saticfaction when it comes.
and when thoughts come, which i cannot avoid of course, when i realize i am analyzing, i just go back to life and try to feel my body like i go back to the "I AM" when meditating.
or should all thoughts be allowed? are they a part of the process? or is the thought already finished and used when i realize i am caught up in it? are there bad thoughts and good thoughts? is it good to question? i hope i am making some sense.
any other tips on how to think less and experiance more?

Everything is just something to notice and let go, or even not notice. Basically, you set aside the time to meditate and do what is required. Anything else is just stuff. Some people analyze dreams. But, that is a never ending pursuit, better to just let them go.

quote:

No. Music, conventional music anyway, draws you out, meditation draws you in. Big difference.

quote:
and how important is the seating position while you meditate? and why? i think it was mentioned in one of the lessons... that any position is ok. but i suppose that is only in the beginning?

Yes, beginning. But who knows. I bet there are many people who can fold into a pretzel yet are still bozos.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2008 :  4:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome foralways.
Great to hear things are working out for you.
quote:

It is important to be somewhat consistent on the time of practice.. few hours here and there is fine.. but doing 2 meditation sessions within a few hours of each other will however not give the full benefit. Yogani explains the reason for this here:
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/148.html
When we do practices, we coax our nervous system into a different
style of functioning -- sustaining deep silence (pure bliss
consciousness). And in later stages when kundalini is active,
ecstatic bliss. To stabilize all this we go out and are active in the
world every day. There is fading of the higher functioning during
activity as we work it into daily living. The fading happens over 5-
10 hours. Then we can do practices again and re-establish the higher
style of functioning again, to be faded in activity again. This cycle
can be done twice a day by doing practices morning and early evening.
It provides for the most purification and growth possible during
waking hours for people with active lives.

quote:

Awesome practice.. when you realize you are mindy.. center yourself by going back to what you are doing. This is the best thing you can do to make yourself present.. live in the "now". Not many can drop the habit of analysing and questioning etc with the mind. It is a form of letting go that takes people a long time to understand... so it is wonderful that you "get" this. Asking questions is not bad.. but trying to get the answers with your mind will not help.. the idea is to ask a question in silence and let it go.. not trying to analyze it or understand it or answer it with your mind.. but let the answer come to you. But if you don't understand how to do this right now, it's OK.. it will come to you... so for now.. not analyzing and not trying to understand with the mind .. and making yourself present is the best thing you can do. It works wonders. Keep it up.
quote:

Do you mean during meditation? I don't think that would work.. mantra is the repetition on one (or more) sound(s).. over and over again.. music is a collection of words and/or sounds, instruments etc.. It can be useful in getting yourself present in your every day life.. but not a good idea to mediate on.
quote:

Well.. sitting with back support is very helpful. The reason for trying to sit cross legged is to get used to the position.. since it will be useful as you add on practices like siddhasana.
Yogani explains it here:
quote:
Lesson 33 - A new way to sit in meditation
Meditation works just fine while sitting on a soft
surface with back support. An easy chair is good. Being on a bed with
a couple of pillows behind us is better, for reasons that will become
clear shortly. Don't meditate in a reclined position, as this can
result in sleep rather than meditation. The idea is to be sitting
upright comfortably. We don't want unnecessary discomfort in the body
competing with the simple procedure of meditation. If it is natural
for you to sit on a hard surface without back support for twenty
minutes or more, this is okay for meditation. But few will be able to
do this, and it is not necessary. Less comfort is synonymous with
unnecessary distraction in meditation. So keep it comfortable.

Once you are steady in your daily meditation routine and feel you are
ready for the next step in your yoga practice, it is a good idea to
put your legs in a crossed position while you are meditating. This is
where the bed comes in handy. If you can get one leg in so the sole
of your foot is against the inside of your thigh with your heel near
your crotch, this is good. The other leg can come in with its sole
resting on the shin of the first leg. It doesn't matter which leg
goes inside first to the thigh. It is your choice. Over time, you can
develop the ability to switch legs, so that either one can be the
inside leg during meditation. Comfort will be the determining factor
on which leg to use on the inside.

Hope these help.
Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

foralways

Sweden
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  3:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit foralways's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

foralways

Sweden
19 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  4:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit foralways's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
... and one more question, yogani writes that it is best to meditate mornings and early evenings. why early evenings? I usually meditate before I go to sleep, is that not good? I usually fall asleep really easily afterwards.

thank you for the great replies!
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  6:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

... and one more question, yogani writes that it is best to meditate mornings and early evenings. why early evenings? I usually meditate before I go to sleep, is that not good? I usually fall asleep really easily afterwards.

thank you for the great replies!

Well for one Yogani recommends meditation before meals..
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/13.html
It is best done before meals, as digestion can interfere with the process of meditation.

.. so your second practice session will depend on what time your eat dinner.

Secondly, he says
quote:
http://www.aypsite.org/148.html The fading happens over 5-10 hours
...so depending on when you meditate in the morning, the second one will be in about 10hrs.. so if you meditate at 7.00am, 5.00pm would be about 10hrs.

Now, that is what he recommends, but you fitting it into your life so you have a morning session and evening session is more important. So if you cannot do early evening, that's fine.. having 2 sessions and around the same time each day is what is important.

Meditating right before going to sleep is not recommended, because when you start working with spinal breathing etc. your energy levels may be high and you may not be able to fall asleep. Again, some at the forum have no trouble with this.. so if it does not bother you.. great.. keep it up. Just take rest after meditation but don't fall asleep immediately after that.. give a few mins gap... falling asleep immediately after meditation may make you groggy and heavy headed in the morning (look here).
Hope these help.

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 06 2008 6:39:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2008 :  8:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also i think early evening is recommended because the benefits of meditation are best realized when there is some normal waking activity immediately after meditation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000