Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Brachmacharya makes me grumpy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2008 :  11:04:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I've been practicing some brachmacharya... specifically I've been trying to go as long as possible without ejaculating and using only blocked ejaculation in that case. I just went one month without before unfortunately having a wet dream... now I'm three weeks back in again. But anyway, the benefits are obvious: increased energy, increased ecstatic conductivity, especially with kechari, increased feelings of joy and connectedness, etc. However, one drawback it seems is that I find myself more easily irritated or annoyed than usual. It's like it gives me a bad temper. When there's nothing to bother me I feel cheerful and happy, but if something gets on my nerves I find my temper flaring up much worse than usual. Similarly, I have a lot of energy but tend to get frustrated more easily when things aren't going smoothly because the energy feels like it's running into a wall when it wants to charge ahead. I've already been a little short with a couple of friends and it makes me worried that I'll say something I don't mean just because I suddenly have a really short fuse.

Could this have something to do with increased testosterone and therefore aggression, perhaps? Or is it part of the "cleaning" process--that is, maybe I have pent up anger to get rid of that the extra spiritual practice is bringing to the surface? Does anyone have similar experiences? Does it get better with time? Any tips?

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a frequent problem with retention.

In general my understanding of retention problems is that retention gives a lot more energy of a yang type quality. This needs to be balanced by energy of a yin quality. The energy also needs to be put to constructive use. Inner silence balances the yang quality well. At least it is pretty clear that the more inner silence the more retention you can handle. The heart is also central in managing long periods of retention. There usualy needs to be some sort of equilibrium between tha energy from the sexual center and that from the heart. Doing more work on the heat might balance things out. I also speculate that practices such as spinal breathing helps with this by circulating the energy and "putting it to use". At least running it in the microcosmic orbit helpas a bit.

Having sex with a partner instead of alone also can help with this. As a man you draw yin energy from women during intercourse and she draws yang from you. That interchange helps keep you both in balance.

Your problem might also be related to too much energy going to your head. You might get rid of the problem by getting some energy down.

My advice would be firstly to cut back to retention periods to something like ejaculation twice a week. It dosen`t seem that you currently can go much further without experiencing side efects. That is a sign. Once you find a harmonious rytmh of ejaculation you can increase the length of the periods as your inner silence grows in meditation, as your heart center is strengthened and as you put more of the energy to good use in your total practice.

On taobums.com there has been a lot of discussion about these things and one of the guys there has a webiste were he has gathered a lot of usefull info on theses things.

Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  4:08:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you, both of you, for posting.

Edited by - newpov on Oct 30 2008 4:11:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

tamasaburo

USA
136 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2008 :  11:27:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Twice a week would've been what I've been doing for years. Actually, I'm feeling pretty good now after another three weeks without. I don't think "when you have some side effects" is necessarily a good sign as to when you should ejaculate. If you get through them without they often seem to get much better. If you do ejaculate it feels more like you're starting a whole new cycle of building up energy with potential for increased grumpiness, etc. whereas if you wait, you get to keep the energy but the grumpiness subsides.
Go to Top of Page

markern

Norway
171 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2008 :  1:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit markern's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I meant every two weeks not tvice a week. Twice a week wouldn`t give much efect I think
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000