Tantra - A Holistic View of Spiritual Development
 Eye placement during spinal breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Easternpick

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2008 :  10:51:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Easternpick's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,I was hoping for some clarification on how long the eyes remain turned upwards during sambhavi.  Currently, I am directing my physical eyes at my third eye area while my attention traverses the spinal nerve. When the attention reaches the third eye area I gently furrow the brow and "look up" with my physical closed eyes.  Then, I immediately release the upward gaze and let the eyes again rest at the third eye area while my attention once again traverses the spinal nerve..  My question: Should the eyes remain in the 'upward gaze' while traversing the spinal nerve or relaxed at the third eye?  

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  09:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Easternpick.

The eyes remain in sambhavi (the slight furrowing of the center of the brow and the raising and centering of the eyes to that point between the eyebrows) for the duration of pranayam.. or for as long as you can comfortably hold it there. Never force your eyes to stay there if it is not comfortable. But as you keep practicing it.. it will get easier and easier to keep it in that position.

Here is a bit more clarification from Yogani:
Lesson 56 - Sambhavi – Opening the third eye
quote:

There are two main components to sambhavi. First is a gentle furrowing of the brow, the point between the eyebrows. It is bringing the two eyebrows slightly toward the center. This is barely physical, mostly just an intention. It is only physical enough to allow feedback for a habit to form. Under normal circumstances it will not be visible to an outside observer. Maybe only a little in the beginning stage. With practice, you will find that this is really an internal movement reaching back into the center of your brain, pulling the center of your brain forward toward the point between the eyebrows. We begin this internal activity with the brow-furrowing impulse just described. It will evolve naturally after that, as ecstatic conductivity arises. You will feel it working inside your head.

The second component of sambhavi is a physical raising of the eyes toward the point where the furrowing is happening at the point between the eyebrows. The sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows is where the eyes will go. This will involve some raising and some centering of the eyes. We keep the eyes comfortably closed as we do it. We don’t force the eyes. In the beginning, they may not go as far up as we would like. That is okay. Do not force them. Just let them gravitate naturally toward the sensation of furrowing at the point between the eyebrows. Again, it is a subtle physical habit we want to cultivate. Once the habit in place, the attention is free for spinal breathing. All of pranayama is physical habit, except for the attention going very simply up and down the spinal nerve with the breath. As we become adept at it, everything will be happening automatically, with our attention completely free to be easily going up and down inside the spinal nerve, which will be transforming before our inner sight.

As we do these two things simultaneously, the slight furrowing of the center of the brow and the raising and centering of the eyes to that point between the eyebrows, we continue all the other elements of pranayama just as before. It should be pointed out that as the attention goes up and down in the spinal nerve with the breath, the eyes remain aimed up toward the point between the eyebrows. We are not looking through our eyes with our attention. Our attention is going up and down in the spinal nerve. We do not try and look at the point between the eyebrows with the attention through the physical eyes. The eyes are physically going there, but our attention is going up and down in the spinal nerve. In fact, our physical eyes aren’t doing anything other than muscular. When they are going up to the point between the eyebrows, the eyes are physically stimulating the spinal nerve all the way back through the brain and all the way down through the spine to the perineum. We are using our eyes in a physical way to awaken the spinal nerve. Meanwhile, our vision (attention) is in and through the spinal nerve, easily going up and down inside. It is a new kind of seeing we are beginning, an inner seeing.

If you haven't done so already, read the rest of the lesson to get a better idea of how to do sambhavi.

Wish you all the best.

Edited by - Shanti on Oct 23 2008 09:42:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  09:41:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eatsernpick
and welcome to the forum.

That's a tricky question! The third eye is in the middle of the forehead, so if you are looking upwards with your eyes coming slightly together in spinal breathing then you will be looking up at the third eye. This is sambhavi. As to how long to keep it up for, the answer is as long as is comfortable, bearing in mind that it can be a powerful cultivator of ecstatic energy, depending on the state of your nervous system.

Does that make sense?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  09:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shanti,

We posted at the same time.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Easternpick

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  10:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Easternpick's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you both.

Eastwrnpick
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2008 :  1:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi EasternPick and welcome to the forum...

I personally use sambhavi in everything but samyama now. I find it a little distracting in samyama practice and I find it makes it hard for me to "come back" to the next sutra, hanging out in silence for minutes at a time instead. But once you get used to sambhavi I think you will find that staying with your eyes looking up and in is quite pleasant and natural feeling. I think I even started sleeping in sambhavi a while ago. It just feels natural. It took me a while to get to that point, and at some points during practice I found it more distracting than anything. But I would personally suggest that you try keeping you eyes upturned and inward during all of pranayama (as long as it is not a distraction or causing any discomfort) and see how that goes. The constant lifting of the eyes with each breath will become more of a distraction I think than a helpful tool. Give it time and soon it will feel like you were born doing it.
Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000