New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  2:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste Friends,

I'm starting this topic to see if anyone else has had similiar experiences with singing.
When I was a kid I used to go to church religously every Friday and Sunday and my favorite part used to be singing worship songs. Whether I was singing in the choir or just singing from a pew, I always felt a deep connection with God while singing praises to Him and also felt similiar physical sensations (albiet much less intense then now)to what I am currently feeling with my present state of kundalini awakening. I always used to assume that the reason I felt such devotion to God at that time, and had such powerful experiences singing, was because of WHAT I was singing. Hymns or songs written in praise of God/Jesus/Christ whatever. But recently since having some kundalini awakenings I have noticed that I am getting these same experiences no matter what I sing. I can be singing along in my car to the worst most non-spiritual songs and will have the most amazing transcendental type experiences that it has actually forced me to pull over to the side of the road because I can no longer focus on driving. I end up in automatic sambhavi with blue electricity ripping through my nervous system lighting me up like a candle as long as I continue singing. Is there something I don't yet understand about the mechanisms of action used in singing? I thought I knew alot about this subject since I'm an audio engineer and musician by trade, but this just baffles me. I never thought that singing along to terrible radio songs could put me into such a divine state of transcendence that I can no longer properly function. Anyone had similiar experiences? Am I going crazy?

Love,
Carson

Edited by - CarsonZi on Oct 21 2008 2:24:29 PM

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  11:14:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have come to realize a little bit more about the yogic aspect of singing.

As some of you may know, I used to be a touring musician and I own a recording studio. I rarely do recording anymore, and I never make music anymore, and for the past couple of years I have even stopped listening to music(for the most part). But recently I decided to load the old i-pod with some tunes for use while walking my dogs at the offleash park. Well, I live in Canada so it gets dark around 4:30-5pm at this time of the year, so by the time I am home from work, had a meditation and get to the park, it's dark and usually pretty deserted. This gives me the opportunity to sing (and scream) to my hearts content without bothering anyone. And by doing this I have come to realize a few things and have come to a few new questions as well.

First off I have realized that singing (and screaming especially) is very similar to pranayama in that it utilizes restraint and control of the breath. I was a guitarist and singer/screamer in a band for 6 years and I am just now coming to realize how this primed my body (a bit) for future yogic practice. Many people have commented on my unusual lung capacity and most of these people do not know that I am a chronic pot smoker. But anyways, I have come to learn that singing has a very similar effect (on me) to doing spinal breathing especially if you are "givin 'er".

Secondly I have come to realize that singing in harmony has much to do with the effect that singing seems to have on my soul. I have a perpetual issue in that I hear vocals in harmony, not melody, so I don't really make the best lead vocalist(which is what I was in the band) as if there is noone else singing with me, and I switch to singing in "harmony" by myself, it can sound pretty wierd. Or if you hear me singing while listening to headphones I bet it sounds quite "off" for sure. But anyways, I have found that singing in harmony WITH another, even if it is just while listening to a CD, can give me huge energy rushes and ecstasy beyond belief. I don't know what causes this, but it is becoming apparent with further exploration and experimentation that singing in harmony is indeed quite key for me to hit that "ecstasy point".

Vibration as well I am finding plays a big part in helping these energies to rise...I like heavy music, even now as a "yogi". Soft and soothing doesn't do it for me. And I'm not talking heavy metal either. I'm talking "hardcore" bands. And not hardcore as in 80's punk/hardcore either. 99.9% of people have ZERO tolerance for the music I enjoy and there are often many reasons.....
1. Mostly screaming vocals.
2. Crazy un-dance-able time signatures.
3. Sounds very angry.
4. Wierd, not always harmonizing melodies etc etc.
But being a musician and having a taste for "complex" music, I thrive on this type of music. But the (sound) vibrations I find that some of these bands produce create huge waves of ecstasy, most of which land in my heart chakra. (Perhaps I should mention that nearly all of these artists would utilize at least Drop C tuning on their guitars and basses to aid in creating lower and lower vibrations.)

My main new question is this...
Can it be damaging to my soul to be gaining this much enjoyment and "ecstasy" from listening to music charged with angry intentions? Is there such thing as "negatively charged" kundalini or can you "turn" positively "charged" kundalini into negatively "charged" kundalini by finding extreme enjoyment in things like angry music? Are there people who thrive on the dark side but have managed to awaken their kundalini and are basically "awake" but evil? I realize this may be a bit of a loaded question, but I would appreciate ANY input. Thanks for reading.

Love,
Carson

P.S. I forgot to mention my other question....This one has nothing to do with singing and more to do with kundalini transfer to animals. Like I said, this "ecstasy" is happening while I am walking my dogs and listening to music. But I have noticed that if I pet or touch my dogs (or actually other dogs as well, as last night this happened with a Golden Retriever that ran at me out of nowhere and I had to touch it to keep it off) that they seem to pick up on the energy rush I am having and have these crazy bursts of energy like they have so much energy and have no idea what to do with it, that they start going kinda crazy. My dogs are a little more accustomed to it I think and that is why I didn't notice it as much before yesterday when I touched that Retriever. If I touch my dogs when having an energy surge, (and sometimes it is hard not to because they seem to be a bit more attracted to being around me when this is happening) they will instantly go into "super hyper play mode". Usually drop to the ground with their front legs low and spread apart and then bound off at the speed of light, chasing each other. I didn't really think anything of it until I touched someone elses dog and saw how IT reacted. When I touched that Golden Retriever this dog nearly exploded it seemed. It started twisting and contorting in excitement, jumped up off the ground a few times looking like it wanted to do a backflip, tail whipping back and forth so hard it looked like it would dislocate, and then the dog was gone. Don't think I'd ever seen a dog run so fast in my life, and this dog was quite overwieght. I almost instantly felt terrible as I knew it was my touch that caused this. This caused me to think about how MY dogs react to my touch during periods of intense energy flow and I realized that they too are experiencing somewhat what this poor Retriever was experiencing. I then decided to do a few experiments. I tried to control the flow of energy so that it didn't transfer to my dogs when I touched them. I think I was able to control it, but I don't know for sure as I didn't want to touch a "less immune" puppy for fear of hurting them. I knew my dogs could handle a few more touches should I not be able to control the flow as I was hoping I could. So I guess my question is this: "Is it possible to harm an animal, or even another human, by not being conscious of the energy transfer from one person who is "highly charged" at the time to another?"

Thanks again for any and all input.

Edited by - CarsonZi on Dec 12 2008 12:32:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  1:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, I dont know that answer but I am in the same sector as you in regards to music. If you tone it down a bit then Tool do some music that revolves around spiritual meaning and natural mathematics. Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Sikth, Mastodon, Cancer bats......marvellous stuff. I suppose Dream Theater might be a bit too melodic.

Anyway, back on topic. I have definitely experienced emotions when singing. I suppose it could be transcendental, mostly I think it is just a light trance state similar to mild hypnosis.

You can change 'states' just by adopting a physical posture. You also have an 'anchor' to the good feelings that were present during your time in Church. So, by adopting the physical aspect of singing you tap into that past memory and your state changes to that which it was back years ago.......same reason why a smell or song takes you back to a certain time........Then add on the sheer emotional joy of singing and the light trance state that it brings with it and it is a sure fire bliss feeling if ever there was one. Of course if you were made to sing when young and hated it, conversley you would anchor to a bad time and a miseranble state.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  2:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I am in the same sector as you in regards to music. If you tone it down a bit then Tool do some music that revolves around spiritual meaning and natural mathematics. Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Sikth, Mastodon, Cancer bats......marvellous stuff. I suppose Dream Theater might be a bit too melodic.

Hi Karl,

Yeah the music I am refering to is more along the lines of The Handshake Murders, Neck, Refused, Minus, Hopesfall, Vanna, Snot, Poison the Well, Norma Jean, Coalesce, Fantomas and other odd Mike Patton projects, and stuff along those lines. Dream Theatre is WAY too melodic, and anything by Tool after Aenima is too commercial for my liking...(I feel very judgemental right now) It's only the scariest of the scary that I like....Even Slipknot is too lame for me

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2008 :  5:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hi Carson and Karl, some people do japa and chant kirtan and some kumbaya and others sing christian rock... it's all lovely.

speaking for myself, i chant some suffi songs (mainly the names of god are chanted)and do some twirling by myself on some occasions something which i found to be a form of self pacing ;).

plus i love tool and dream theatre, i used to listen to these guys a lot now i just listen to whatever is on the radio but i like soft music in general these days.

oh and by the way i've been reading on the side a book by swamy satyananada saraswati named "kundalini tantra" and in it is mentioned that the increase in devotional singing is related to the activation of the swadhistana chakra. (hope i'm not mistaking on which chakra he pointed at)

anyways it's a great book and i recommend it as a reading, you'll like what is in it.

namaste,

Ananda
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2008 :  12:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson

it's funny that you mention this because lately i have had some spontaneous singing episodes. i know what you mean about it being a form of pranayama. i have no kirtan or chanting knoweldge, but lately i have been chanting some mantras while driving, and i notice that when the tone syncs with my air conditioner (very loud, broken) it has a neat effect...like i feel "clean" and crisp, i cant explain it. i think it is good for the throat chakra. playing the didjeridu is in that vein as well :-)
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  10:49:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthony,

Yes, I too am learning that the vibrations created through song can be very powerful. Some frequencies I can feel as low as in the root and stomach chakras and others mainly in the heart or throat chakra. Haven't found the frequencies that corrospond with the Ajna or Crown chakras, but that I think is because they are too "high" to hear with our ears. Just my opinion though. I think lower vibrations corrospond to lower chakras and higher frequencies to higher chakras. Pretty sure the highest chakra we can "hear" would be the throat one. Oh, and it must be nice to have a "frequency/tone guide" (in other words a broken air conditioner) eh? haha.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  12:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

quote:
Originally posted by karl

I am in the same sector as you in regards to music. If you tone it down a bit then Tool do some music that revolves around spiritual meaning and natural mathematics. Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, Sikth, Mastodon, Cancer bats......marvellous stuff. I suppose Dream Theater might be a bit too melodic.

Hi Karl,

Yeah the music I am refering to is more along the lines of The Handshake Murders, Neck, Refused, Minus, Hopesfall, Vanna, Snot, Poison the Well, Norma Jean, Coalesce, Fantomas and other odd Mike Patton projects, and stuff along those lines. Dream Theatre is WAY too melodic, and anything by Tool after Aenima is too commercial for my liking...(I feel very judgemental right now) It's only the scariest of the scary that I like....Even Slipknot is too lame for me

Love,
Carson

I saw the Fantomas about 2 years ago. Dave lombardo from Slayer was drumming for them. ATP (All tommorows parties) have the Fantomas performing the whole of the 'Directors Cut' in the UK. I have most of the albums.......how about Big black ?
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2008 :  1:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Director's Cut was my favorite album for an entire year. The cost to buy the album in Canada is $35CAN, and I have had to buy it three times cause I have worn out the disc twice! I loved all the old horror movies they covered and would have just about killed to see them live at one point in my life. I've seen Dave L with Slayer several times, but would have rather seen him with Fantomas I think. FYI he has always played with Fantomas. He is the drummer on every album. And what is Big Black? Is that another Fantomas album title or a different band? Haven't heard of either, but as I said, I've been pretty out of the music loop for the past 3 years so....

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  2:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Big Black is Steve Albini........ha, this is a delayed reponse as I searched to find if anyone else had mentioned Tool and the track Parabola. The lyrics sound strangely like living in the moment.

We barely remember who or what came before this precious moment,
We are choosing to be here right now. hold on, stay inside...
This holy reality, this holy experience. choosing to be here in...

This body. this body holding me. be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion.

Alive

This holy reality, in this holy experience. choosing to be here in...

This body. this body holding me. be my reminder here that I am not alone in
This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal all this pain is an illusion...
Of what it means to be alive

Swirling round with this familiar parable.
Spinning, weaving round each new experience.
Recognize this as a holy gift and celebrate this
Chance to be alive and breathing
Chance to be alive and breathing.

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. remember. we are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  10:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just read the first post

maybe the signing is from the heart, even terrible songs you are putting your heart into
just a guess, or maybe not
brother neil
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2009 :  10:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to sing with a rock band years ago, and singing is wonderful for self expression. It is just an outpouring of whatever you want to let out. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference what you're singing about! I used to express myself through the beauty of the sound, not the meaning of the words.

Also, stangely enough, this is a glimpse of why they don't allow guru bashing in the forums at AYP.
Just as singing a stupid song can act as a spiritual outlet, so can following a stupid guru at times.
There is not a direct connection between what we think is spiritual and what works. So someone saying "That guru can't possibly be enlightened because of this or that" and therefore I won't follow him, is the mark of a person trying to apply logic to spirituality, which doesn't work.
The only answer is consistent meditation, find your inner guru, and be guided in ways that cannot be planned by logic.

Sing on!

Edited by - Etherfish on Sep 16 2009 10:41:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

atena

113 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  06:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit atena's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Didn't read all the posts but wanted to participate as I happen to play drums at a amateur metal band with middle eastern influences. That stuff is so grounding for me. There isn't much time to think about anything when I play so increasingly often I've started to forget myself. Cool stuff, even though my playing sucks

Is it possible to harm an animal, or even another human, by not being conscious of the energy transfer from one person who is "highly charged" at the time to another?"

I've heard a story from a particular qigong teacher saying that by accident he killed his pet rabbit by ordinary touch after doing a lot of specific qigong, as he was teaching it that day. He thought it's heart stopped. So something like that can be possible.
As far as I know, Santiago and other KAP people have a lot of experiential knowledge, etc about this kind of stuff. The basic solution I remember is self pacing and grounding.
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  07:14:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At these times sometimes when I'm alone I have this urge to make strange sounds, and sing gibberish , also sing music that is in my head (known songs). I think it gets the energy out and maybe it is kundalini wanting to purify the body (like when you get the urge to do mudras). I think it makes you "flow" more

Awesome stuff

Edited by - Yonatan on Sep 17 2009 07:19:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

grihastha

USA
184 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  07:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit grihastha's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What you guys need is some Sunn 0)))... http://www.myspace.com/sunnofuneraldoom
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  07:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha ha. That's refreshingly different than most metal.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by grihastha

What you guys need is some Sunn 0)))... http://www.myspace.com/sunnofuneraldoom

Nice. I dig the robes

Here's a fun one:

Come to Daddy - Aphex Twin - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Az_7U0-cK0

The song is creepy on its own, but the imagery in the video enhances the creepiness. I find it beautiful and amazing.

As for the topic, yes it doesn't seem to matter what the lyrical content is. I feel that all music is potentially ecstatic, depending on our own... state... for lack of better word. As the journey continues, it seems that different songs (or types of music) will trigger a response at different times.

The way I experience it, songs that triggered ecstasy in me a month ago might not do so today, but other songs will, that didn't before. It's a fun surprise to discover this side of music.

God is constantly changing his playlist. That's a good thing

Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  06:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunn 0... I think I have an album of theres.. Behemoth or something?

Intense!!

Oh yeah, and the tall, skinny guy in the Come to Daddy video lives in my city..

Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2009 :  06:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Autechre - Piezo.

Give it time, it builds.. this does it for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-os-GlHIJSE
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:05:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Carson,
Walking in a field with my grandma a few years back i felt some sort of connection with nature/animals and well i guess God. That was very nice.

I think animals can be just as receptive as we can be... or something...? lol i have 2 cats (as i type this one of my cats just walked across the top of the sofa... never seen her do this.) haha IDK what to say about animals there should be a new topic on experiences with animals.
Go to Top of Page

littlejerry

USA
60 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2009 :  10:08:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit littlejerry's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Music... its just music... if its angry music it was probably created by angry people... if this is the music you like keep listening to it but remember its just music.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  06:19:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've already had this discussion with Cosmic, but I'm pretty sure the Chili Peppers are experiencing Kriyas in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISIF...next_from=PL

I know they've all done their share of drugs, but I don't know if any of them practice Yoga or not. I know Anthony has met the Dalia Lama a few times. The lyrics, while fairly simple, I would say are definitely about self-inquiry.
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  7:09:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by stevenbhow

I know they've all done their share of drugs, but I don't know if any of them practice Yoga or not.

Hey Steve, I didn't know this when we first discussed it, but at least John and Flea have practiced yoga. John and Anthony have practiced Vipassana meditation, and apparently John led an ascetic life for a while there (celibacy, diet restrictions, etc.).

This explains a lot for me

Hope all is well with you
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2009 :  8:46:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, I kind of thought maybe RHCP had done at least some spiritual practice. I read Scar Tissue, but couldn't remember whether Anthony mentioned it or not.
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2009 :  12:14:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to bump this slightly old post again, but I just wanted to mention one more musician that I believe definitely experienced something like kriyas during his live performances. Check out this vid of Bob Marley and the Wailers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHp0...&shuffle=138

And yeah, I know he was probably high, but that doesn't take anything away from the obvious spirituality vibrating through the music!
Go to Top of Page

Cordes

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  11:34:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone that hasn't seen the video for Parabola by Tool should definitely check it out, great lyrics, great music and it's a very very cool video with a lot of symbolism in it, especially the last two minutes which are the coolest visual depiction of an awakening out there. the art for the last 2 minutes was definitely done by Alex Grey(www.alexgrey.com), and he's definitely worth checking out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiV_ue-PbL4
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000