Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Feeling "out there"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joyfulmeditation

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:18:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit joyfulmeditation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It's been about a month on the AYP practice for me and for the most part its going well. The first 5 minutes of meditation I face a lot of resistance but then I notice that the mantra seems to take me on a trip that goes deeper and deeper.

The thing that I'm noticing though is that I'm really out of it for the rest of the day. Not necessarily feeling "bad" but just "out there." It's like I'm dreaming. It's not unpleasant except that some people have said that I seem like I'm miles away. Is this a normal phase or should I cut back on the amount of meditation I'm doing? (I'm doing 20 minutes twice a day as suggested).

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  06:37:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joyful welcome to the forum (I love the name)

You seem to be doing great.
The answer to your problem is rest and grounding, firstly make sure you give yourself at least 5 mins rest after meditation and then go out for a nice long walk, if this isn't possible do something really physical to bring yourself back to earth if this doesn't seem to work cut back a bit on the time of your meditation but try the grounding first I think you will find it will be the answer.

Hope this helps

Edited by - Richard on Oct 18 2008 06:39:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  09:05:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Coming out of meditation for some is a practice in and of itself! I don't know if this might be your issue but give yourself 10+ mins to come out of a deep session. Sometimes you won't need as much and your busy mind will want to pop right up and get back to the day. Other times when it goes deep you might need to lay down for a while. I like to lay down afterwards because it creates a difference in posture and takes the mind and body away from meditation gently and I think allows for easier integration of purification afterwards.

It sounds like your practice is really coming along. If the feeling is not unpleasant than there's no problem! If others are noticing a change in you don't assume it is bad even if the words they choose are "out there". If you were to be next to a fellow student of yoga he/she might say "joyfulmeditation, you seem really HERE".

Observe this feeling next time. What is key is whether you are out THERE or in HERE. If you are drifting heavily into your thoughts and out of the moment than bring yourself back. If you feel you are more immersed in the present than ever (senses, body awareness) than wonderful! Practice gentle awareness of the breath periodically throughout the day to bring awareness mroe often to your present state - be it lost in thought or not.

Keep us updated!

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Coming out of meditation for some is a practice in and of itself! I don't know if this might be your issue but give yourself 10+ mins to come out of a deep session.

So true I always lay down after meditation and it helps me. I do it always as to create a habit to just rest. I have a restless nature and it is, in any case, a good habit to develop, the hability to just rest and do nothing Always something good to learn in yoga!
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmeditation

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  11:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit joyfulmeditation's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I went for a long walk today and it helped me to smooth out whatever is going on. This is interesting to me. I feel like my mind is twice the size of what it normally is if that makes sense. I'm not feeling so much "in the moment" though.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000