Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Clunkiness in yoni mudra kumbhaka
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  7:27:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've just had my first few days trying yoni mudra kumbhaka and must say this is my favorite practice to date. It definitely enhances stillness in DM.

However... after re-reading the lesson on YMK I see that I'm not following the exact prescription given my Yogani...I follow the prescription applying eye-push,root lock, stomach lock and neck lock during retention but then during exhalation I release the eye push, neck lock and stomach lock putting hands on knees (keeping root lock) and as slooooooow as possible do the exhalation...it feels so good, I like to prolong it. In the lesson it seems that the eye-push should be kept and the exhalation should be as long as the inhalation.

The question I have is: should I go with what feels right or try to follow the prescription (adding eye-push and quickening exhalation to the time of inhalation) until the clunkiness of that wears off?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice!

Edited by - machart on Sep 19 2008 7:34:27 PM

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  4:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Right now I recommend doing whatever feels most comfortable. There is no need to do the inhalation/exhalation following a rigid pattern. For about a month I did not do the eye-push during inhalation/exhalation, but only during retention. I had not read the lessons multiple times and missed the part. But now I do the eye-push the entire time and it works about as well, possibly a bit better. It will smooth out. I've only been doing it a couple months, 5 repetitions, still a bit clunky but smoother. If it's working for you, keep it up. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

x.j.

304 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  01:03:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit x.j.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by machart

I've just had my first few days trying yoni mudra kumbhaka and must say this is my favorite practice to date. It definitely enhances stillness in DM.

However... after re-reading the lesson on YMK I see that I'm not following the exact prescription given my Yogani...I follow the prescription applying eye-push,root lock, stomach lock and neck lock during retention but then during exhalation I release the eye push, neck lock and stomach lock putting hands on knees (keeping root lock) and as slooooooow as possible do the exhalation...it feels so good, I like to prolong it. In the lesson it seems that the eye-push should be kept and the exhalation should be as long as the inhalation.

Not in answer to your question, but I am concerned when you mention "the eye push" because the eye is fragile and a retinal tear can occur with any significant pressure applied to the eye ball. So apply just the most gentle laying on of your finger tips to the eyeball, with no significant pressure or "eye-push" I had a retinal tear in one eye about a year ago and required laser coagulation to prevent the retinal tear from turning into a full detachment of the retina. Be very very careful not to do any pushing and always let go very slowly, not suddenly. Rest your fingers more on the bone orbital rim near the eye than any real pressure on the eye itself.
That works perfectly well and is lots safer. I'm sure the others here agree with what I'm saying.
Sincerely yours.
x.j.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  08:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice x.j.! I will be careful.

I guess in the lessons it is called "eye nudge" ...that is the clunkiest part for me. To get the index fingers in the right position with the right amount of pressure is tricky. Maybe just doing sambhavi without the eye nudge would be just as good...I'll give it a shot.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  10:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi x.j.

quote:
Not in answer to your question, but I am concerned when you mention "the eye push" because the eye is fragile and a retinal tear can occur with any significant pressure applied to the eye ball. So apply just the most gentle laying on of your finger tips to the eyeball, with no significant pressure or "eye-push" I had a retinal tear in one eye about a year ago and required laser coagulation to prevent the retinal tear from turning into a full detachment of the retina. Be very very careful not to do any pushing and always let go very slowly, not suddenly. Rest your fingers more on the bone orbital rim near the eye than any real pressure on the eye itself.
That works perfectly well and is lots safer. I'm sure the others here agree with what I'm saying.
Sincerely yours.
x.j.

Yes, in the lessons YMK is described as being done with a very gentle pressure on the outsides of the closed eyelids. So if done properly, it should not hurt anyone. I agree with you, "eye-push" could give someone the wrong idea!

Christi

Edited by - Christi on Sep 26 2008 10:56:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  10:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart

quote:

The question I have is: should I go with what feels right or try to follow the prescription (adding eye-push and quickening exhalation to the time of inhalation) until the clunkiness of that wears off?

I agree with Iced Earth, just go with what feels comfortable. I don't know that it is so important that inhalation and exhalation timings should be identical with this practice. There are pranayama practices where these timings are more critical, as inhalation and exhalation activate different energies in the body, but with YMK we are only talking about a handful of inhalations/exhalations anyway.

Adding the "eye-nudge" does produce a stronger effect than sambhavi alone, otherwise it would be left out. But if you find it uncomfortable at first, you could just do sambhavi until you have the other pieces in place and then add it in later.

Hope that helps.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2008 :  7:41:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your advice Christi!

I did try YMK today without the "eye nudge" and still had an exquisite experience (feeling the energy distribute through the body on exhale is wonderful) so will go with that for a while.

"Celebrate we will! For life is short but sweet for certain!" D.M.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000