AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 "I AM" mantra effects and mantra science
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

A doubt assalted my mind a while ago while talking to someone I met. He seems to practice yoga and tantra for some years now and apparently has learned from people in India and such. The thing is that I told him I used the I AM mantra and he seemed not to know it specifically but, and he said, from what he knows (the sounds), that mantra could, over the long term and systematic use, cause problems in the heart area...

hmmm...well, I didn't really believe him but just in case I thought of throwing this in in case someone else has heard something similar.

The fact is that I am finding great benefits with the AYP method so far. But then again I am only 4 and a half months at it.

And another question related to mantras. I am trying to figure how mantras work rationally as well (possible? ). I got a book called mantra and meditation but it did not clarify my doubts. Still it said somethings to me that made sense: for example, if you yell "thud" to someone that does not know english chances are he won't find it very friendly. On the other hand, if you yell "love" to the same person the effect could be quite the opposite. This could be either due to the meaning you put in the words or, most probably, because the sounds carry already information, have certain energetic qualities to it.

So, a mantra seems to work like that. I guess I wouldn't like to repeat "thud" in my meditation, maybe the effects wouldn't be very pleaseant . So my question goes: a meditation will be as effective with any mantra/set of sounds? If not (and I guess this is the case - different set of sounds have different effects), how does one design mantras and knows their effects? (I guess many masters through the ages studied this in themselves over the years and probably that's how the knowledge exists now). And what specific effects does the I AM mantra have? I read about it in the lessons, but why is it beneficial? And more, is there already a catalogue of the effects of different sylables in our nervous system? I mean, has this been studied to the extent of being such an established relationship between sound (cause) and effect? It is such a powerful tool to focus and quiet the mind and seems to be a scientific thing in its working so indeed it could be very well studied scientifically and applied spiritual sciences can indeed be the future! Seems promising...and a fascinating subject at that

Thanks in advance for quenching my thirst!

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:53:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, yes a fascinating subject.

This lesson will help you to understand how Mantra's are designed.

Lesson 188 - Q&A – Mantra Design 101

Read Here as well

Hope this helps
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Consider also that the AYP-method for the mantra is not with the voice
but only thought in the mind.
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  01:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi YogaisLife,

Very interesting subject, I wonder if someone that doesn't speaks english could have the same result chanting the I am mantra, be it with voice or with mind. In my case I feel the mantra more strongly when chanted with voice, but I think it has an effect if chanted with the mind, but to be honest I feel it more with voice, maybe I need to practice more the other way. A mantra that I use a lot is OM SHANTI SHANTI SHANTI OM, it really works in my body, I don't know if each person has a different conductivity of the energy and some mantras work better that others. And other thing that I question to myself is if a french or italian or spanish person has to sing the I am in english, or can it be in their language, like Je suis, or Io sonno, or Yo soy, I mean there are different vibrations in each of them, and it means the same, but the vibrations are very different, maybe the I am is a sanscrit word (AYAM). Just look at the vibration for each language with the I am mantra. I have read the lessons pointed above, but they doesn't say anything about chanting the same in another language. Well I have more doubts than you.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

Hello,

A doubt assalted my mind a while ago while talking to someone I met. He seems to practice yoga and tantra for some years now and apparently has learned from people in India and such. The thing is that I told him I used the I AM mantra and he seemed not to know it specifically but, and he said, from what he knows (the sounds), that mantra could, over the long term and systematic use, cause problems in the heart area...

hmmm...well, I didn't really believe him but just in case I thought of throwing this in in case someone else has heard something similar.

The fact is that I am finding great benefits with the AYP method so far. But then again I am only 4 and a half months at it.

And another question related to mantras. I am trying to figure how mantras work rationally as well (possible? ). I got a book called mantra and meditation but it did not clarify my doubts. Still it said somethings to me that made sense: for example, if you yell "thud" to someone that does not know english chances are he won't find it very friendly. On the other hand, if you yell "love" to the same person the effect could be quite the opposite. This could be either due to the meaning you put in the words or, most probably, because the sounds carry already information, have certain energetic qualities to it.

So, a mantra seems to work like that. I guess I wouldn't like to repeat "thud" in my meditation, maybe the effects wouldn't be very pleaseant . So my question goes: a meditation will be as effective with any mantra/set of sounds? If not (and I guess this is the case - different set of sounds have different effects), how does one design mantras and knows their effects? (I guess many masters through the ages studied this in themselves over the years and probably that's how the knowledge exists now). And what specific effects does the I AM mantra have? I read about it in the lessons, but why is it beneficial? And more, is there already a catalogue of the effects of different sylables in our nervous system? I mean, has this been studied to the extent of being such an established relationship between sound (cause) and effect? It is such a powerful tool to focus and quiet the mind and seems to be a scientific thing in its working so indeed it could be very well studied scientifically and applied spiritual sciences can indeed be the future! Seems promising...and a fascinating subject at that

Thanks in advance for quenching my thirst!

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  07:01:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the replies.

Thank you Richard for the links. Yogani explains a lot in the Mantra Design lesson. Very interesting.

Wolfgang - Yes, I know it is with the mind but that does not mean much, just a difference in level, from grosser to subtler. But I think the vibrational qualitties are there all the same, either vocalised or "said" internally. Inside it will resonate with your body, your nervous system and mind. Outside, it will reach the outer world. Again, words like "thud" or "love" (actually the author of the book mentioned "lull") have very different vibrational qualities and this is perceptible both to a person who hears the words and as you say them internally as an effect in the nervous system. That is why I would be interested to know if this has been studied in detail, i.e., sound - effect in the nervous system. Is there a catalogue of sylables and its effects? This is interesting science. I guess the only thing that distinguishes it from science is that science uses external methods to measure things and here you can't, there are not powerful enough tools yet to measure changes in the nervous system (or see chakras working for exaple) and so the investigations have to come from personal experiences at this stage. I guess this is what masters have been doing for millenia. I would like to see their notebooks!

Hi Neli - yes, I would very much like to see if the mantra also would work with a person who does not know english. I'd say it would. My mother is trying but although she does not know a lot of english she does know what I AM means. What a shame! But that's ok. And by the way, the meaning versus sound is discussed in the lessons and it is not the meaning that matters in meditation, but the sound of the syllables (please review the lessons and forums, this is emphazised quite clearly by Yogani).

And you ask if different mantras would have different effects on different people. I think the effects in the nervous system are the same but the obstructions lodged in the system varies from person to person andd that is why the consequences of a mantra in different people can be different due to this. We are like an instrument really, different sounds resonate in different parts of ourselves. Let us resonate the music of love!

About saying it loud or quiet. I think quiet may work best as it is said really on teh inside, in teh subtle realms of mind and nervous system. You are making the flute of your body vibrate at its subtler levels!
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
There is scientific research on effects of Divine Sound at this link.http://dhyanyogi.omdasji.googlepage...publications To the best of my knowledge the Divine Sound is in fact sound and so is appropriate for this topic thread.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  12:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,

Yogani said somewhere in the forum that the "I am" mantra works to purify the spinal nerve between root and brow. He also said that the Shree mantra (part of the firt mantra enhancement) works directly on the crown chakra. I cannot see any reason why any of the AYP mantras (including I am) should damage the heart. There are mantras (such as Hreem) which work directly on the heart, but they are not included in AYP.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  3:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

I agree. Yogani did explain where and how the AYP mantras work. I think the person I met did not really know what he was talking about or was trying to give the impression he did. When one is not sure better not say a thing!

Well, me, I am willing to risk it and continue with the I AM mantra. I feel inner silence noticeably rising in me and feels good. Furthemore it is like Yogani said, after a while, when we have enough inner silence/ecstatic conductivity, we can judge for ourselves, and the effects/part of the body that each syllable resonates with will be easily felt. Then, we will know.

Thank you Dave for the link. One more reference on the study of mantras and effects! Thank you as well for the link with other books on this and other subjects on the other topic you wrote (http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=4465#37838)
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2008 :  8:21:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Yogaislife,

I agree with you, the syllables play an important role in mantras, I read the lessons mentioned, but I'll read them again (thanks for the tip). I know that the I AM mantra is a powerful one, many people use it to command energies. Lot of people also uses this mantra in their language and denies to use other languages, I have seen this many times . I like very much the way Yogani depicts the meaning of the mantra (Shiva-Shakti).

We are like guitars with the mantras, that sounds great !

I know that the mantras are mostly to purify our nervous system, also to channel the energy and to heal and many things.

Yesterday I began to chant the I AM with the mind, and it was great, at the beginning the energy was very slow, and then the it began to move and I felt it in my forehead, in the upper part, was my first time, not so bad, I think each time we sing it from the inside it moves to different places, I'm going to read more about this, cause each mantra is very different.

I Liked a lot what you said about the flute and our bodies, thanks a lot for your advices!

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Thank you all for the replies.

Hi Neli - yes, I would very much like to see if the mantra also would work with a person who does not know english. I'd say it would. My mother is trying but although she does not know a lot of english she does know what I AM means. What a shame! But that's ok. And by the way, the meaning versus sound is discussed in the lessons and it is not the meaning that matters in meditation, but the sound of the syllables (please review the lessons and forums, this is emphazised quite clearly by Yogani).

And you ask if different mantras would have different effects on different people. I think the effects in the nervous system are the same but the obstructions lodged in the system varies from person to person andd that is why the consequences of a mantra in different people can be different due to this. We are like an instrument really, different sounds resonate in different parts of ourselves. Let us resonate the music of love!

About saying it loud or quiet. I think quiet may work best as it is said really on teh inside, in teh subtle realms of mind and nervous system. You are making the flute of your body vibrate at its subtler levels!

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  03:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Neli,

Thank you for your reply and you are very welcome! It is indeed fascinating this mantras subject and I am happy to be able to learn about this. Thank you for sharing what you know about the I AM and other mantras.

In the meantime please keep sharing what you come to learn about this and other mantras from reading and/or from your own experiences with it. Sounds great the experience you had with saying the mantra in the mind. I think that is the way of doing it, saying it inside to resonate and purify your own nervous system. Yes, we are like an instrument - a divine instrument! Cool, hein?

All the best and talk soon.
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  11:09:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi YogaisLife

I love the mantras, they are like food to the soul. There are many mantras but some works better than others, I think its because each one of us are different guitars or flutes, and of course the state of purification of each one of us is very important. The "I AM" is a very powerful one but there are others as well that can produce strong ecstasy states, at least on me.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Hi Neli,

Thank you for your reply and you are very welcome! It is indeed fascinating this mantras subject and I am happy to be able to learn about this. Thank you for sharing what you know about the I AM and other mantras.

In the meantime please keep sharing what you come to learn about this and other mantras from reading and/or from your own experiences with it. Sounds great the experience you had with saying the mantra in the mind. I think that is the way of doing it, saying it inside to resonate and purify your own nervous system. Yes, we are like an instrument - a divine instrument! Cool, hein?

All the best and talk soon.

Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  6:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the yogic systems, you will often find mantras that resonate epecially with some chakras, like lam root chakra, vam 2nd, ram third, yam 4th (you find the y, its really heart affecting, also within iam/ayam), ham 5th, om 6th etc. Within buddhist texts, you'll even find the sounds for each petal of the chakas. So yes, there has been nice research from some man having time over time (nath yogis, siddhas etc.) having spent their whole lifes to this.

Another very precise system is the kabalah, the science of the word, taking everything from a to z, explaining effects, combinations etc. But this field is not without risks. It's about making a cause with immennse effects that can easily go out of control. Yogani for sure knows about this, why his approach makes it as easy and safe as possible to stay on track. In the end, you want to be happy. Everything you do has the same motivation, to be somehow more in peace, happness. Watching tv, y? Listening to music, y? Everything leads automatically out of itself to the same. Every action about the same, if it's the believe of being more happy or if it's the actual experience. Perhaps it's all nonsense what I write, as always. God playing with itself =P
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  10:08:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"I think each time we sing it [I AM mantra] from the inside it moves to different places"

SING?

Does pitch heard or voiced inside the head matter? Could one try the mantra at various musical pitches, supposing each one of us is an "instrument," say a flute, as has been sugested in several postings above?

newpov
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000