Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What's the deal with the number 108?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  3:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I just glanced down at the number of readings of Yogani's thread on using quotes and I saw the number 108...the number of beads on a mala. (It will probably change by the time you read this...)

Supposedly 108 is a very spiritual number...

On the summer solstice my hatha yoga teacher does 108 sun salutations....I'm feeling sore just thinking about that.

There are a lot of cool mathematical properties of 108 but what does 108 have to do with spirituality?

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  5:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart,

I was curious about this myself so I asked my yoga teacher's wife. I thought that since she was born and raised in India she should know. She told me that there are 108 Hindu Gods and that this is the original source of the number. I don't know if that is correct or not but it is as much as I know.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  7:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks yb,

I did not know there were 108 Hindu gods.

I was a math major in college and am intrigued by the mathematical properties, but it seems to be popping up more and more in my life and I don't know why...maybe just coincidence...maybe something more.
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  9:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yogani also seems to end his books on page 103, Unless I am wrong I believe all the books I have read, except for wilder and the big book, have all ended on 103
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:38:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tube...interesting...103 is prime (one-unity composed of the trinity?)...however 108=(1^1)*(2^2)*(3^3) ... sometimes these things are coincidences...other times synchronicity is at play and have hidden meaning (if you follow Jung)...I had a major spiritual break through in January 2008...1/08...so I'm trying to figure out the meaning (if there is one)....thanks for the reply.

Edited by - machart on Sep 05 2008 11:18:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart,

Here is a link to some more interesting info regarding 108:

http://swamij.com/108.htm

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2008 :  10:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yb,

That is an awesome link!

THANKS!

Swamij has some great information on his site. I have used his Yoga Nidra CD which I highly recommend.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  11:13:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tube...I went back and investigated your observation that Yogani's books in the enlightenment series all have 103 pages. In my electronic version of the 5 books I have, they all have a different number of blank pages inserted so that the Further Reading and Support page is always on page 103...very odd...since it looks like 103 pages is by design and not coincidence. Maybe the number 103 has some special significance to him....

Edited by - machart on Sep 05 2008 11:28:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  9:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason I just glanced down at the number of readings of Yogani's thread on Forum Outage (page 2) and I saw the number 108.... (It will probably change by the time you read this...)

More fun coinkydinks!!

I guess the lesson is to see God ( 108 ) everywhere.

OH...and because I'm slightly nuts I checked all 23 pages...his was the only one with 108 readings (@9:18 EST 9/7/2008)...yes I AM that crazy.

Edited by - machart on Sep 07 2008 9:17:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some spiritual books ask us to recite any mantra in multiples of 108 times in a day to get its effect (so atleast 108 times is minimum). Thats why the jaba mala usually has 108 beads. I can't remember the significance of this but I think there should be some scientific reason.

Similarly, if we wear Rudraksha, we are advised to wear atleast 54 (if I am right) or 108 to get its effect on us. Rudraksha is supposed to absorb negative vibrations that arise during our meditations.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  01:05:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
...and just like THAT his forum outage page changed readings ...but I did see 1:08 Pm at least once on my watch today...it was a good day.

If you pay attention you can see God all the time...everywhere...
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  1:36:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My heart goes out to everyone as we remember 9/11/2001....

Thanks again to YB for the link to www.swamij.com

Swami Vivekananda at the
World Congress of Religions
September 11, 1893
SwamiJ.com

In this famous speech, Swami Vivekananda spoke of his vision for an end to violence and fanaticism. His message of the 1800's is as timely and fitting now, in the 2000's, as it was then, over 100 years ago.

Coincidence of dates: Most of us involved in spiritual pursuits know of the many mysterious coincidences that seem to come from time to time. Occasionally, one of these so-called coincidences is so strong as to leave us momentarily speechless. Such a coincidence exists with the date of Swami Vivekananda's message. In the East, the number 108 has been described as having great significance (See the article on the meanings of the number 108). This first message of Swami Vivekananda in America, often said to be a key point of the bridging of Eastern and Western spirituality, and the coming of yoga to the West, was given on September 11, 1893, exactly 108 years, to the day, before the date September 11, 2001, the date of the bombing of the World Trade Center. Whether by coincidence or precognition, it calls out for a closer reading of Swami Vivekananda's message and it's appropriateness for our current times.

Edited by - machart on Sep 11 2008 1:38:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  11:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just noticed that the 108th lesson of AYP is kechari mudra. I'm not at the stage desiring this yet but it seems from all the buzz that it is a big deal....chock another one up for my new favorite number!
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Machart,

That got my attention too. What are the odds?

I doubt the jihadists took this into account when they timed their attack.

How ironic it is that Swami Vivekananda's topic was religious intolerance.

Hopefully, the world trade center bombing marked the beginning of the end of it.

On the surface, it sure looks like we have a ways to go.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2008 :  5:07:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just read the brown pages (From Bindu to Ojas) in BE HERE NOW for the gazillionth time the other night....but this time I coincidentally finished it (page 108) at 1:08 A.M...WTF???!@#.<->...I don't think we're in Kansas anymore Toto.....guess I gotta follow the yellow brick road (AYP) to find my WAY hOMe.

--MAGIC THEATRE--
FOR MADMEN ONLY
PRICE OF ADMISSION
YOUR
MIND

Don't quite know if I'm ready but I hear they lock the door once you enter....

Edited by - machart on Sep 27 2008 10:29:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

shankar

Norway
35 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2008 :  04:30:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit shankar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For what it`s worth, here are some interesting facts and observations about the number 108. Draw your own conclusions

In Eastern Religions and Traditions

Japa Mala, or Japa beads, made from Tulasi wood. Comprising of 108 beads in total + the head bead.Sacred within Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and connected yoga and dharma based practices.
A mala usually has beads for 108 repetitions of a mantra.
Hindu deities have 108 names. Recital of these names, often accompanied by counting of 108-beaded Mala, is considered sacred and often done during religious ceremonies. The recital is called namajapa.

It is described in the Srimad Bhagavatam that Krishna dances with 108 'Gopis' (cow-herd girls) in His Vrindavan pastimes, and later marries 16,108 wives in His city of Dwarka. Hare Krishna devotees thus hold 108 as a number of great significance.

Siva Nataraja dances his cosmic dance in 108 poses.
The total of all digits of 108 (1+0+8) is 9, which in Hinduism is said to represent the 9 tattvas[citation needed]. If you divide 108 by 2 or multiply by 2 the total of all digits again equals 9.
2^2 * 3^3 = 108 ( (2 * 2) * (3 * 3 * 3) )

The number of sins in Tibetan Buddhism is 108.

In the temple Angkor Wat area there are numerous references to the number 108, which plays a significant role in the symbolism of the structure.

Ananda Coomaraswamy holds that the numerology of the decimal numeric system was key to its inception. 108 is therefore founded in Dharmic metaphysical numerology. One for bindu (point); zero for shunyata (void) and eight for ananta (infinity).

In Japan, at the end of the year, a bell is chimed 108 times to finish the old year and welcome the new one. Each ring represents one of 108 earthly temptations a person must overcome to achieve nirvana.
Zen priests wear juzu (a ring of prayer beads) around their wrists, which consists of 108 beads.[1]

Many Buddhist temples have 108 steps.[1]

Hindu Kshatriya Dhangars have 108 clans. The lineage of these clans is from solar and lunar dynasties. It should be noted that the diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun. The average distance of the Moon from the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Moon.

The Eklingji temple complex includes 108 temples within its walls.

In Hindu Astrology there are 12 Rashis or Zodiacs and 9 Planets or Navagrahas. 12 X 9 = 108. There are 27 Lunar mansions or Nakshatras which are divided in 4 Padas or quarters each. 27 X 4 = 108.
There are 108 holy temples of Vishnu.

Sahasranamastotra or Sahasranama (1008 names (List of 10,000 names is given to a rishi called Tandi by Shiva; the rishi gives it to Upamanyu, and the latter to Krsna in an abridged. He gives only one tenth of the names, viz. 1008 names)) has a total of 108 shlokas.
108 signifies the wholeness of the divinity, perfect totality.
The Lankavatara Sutra repeatedly refers to the 108 steps.

Marma Adi has 108 pressure points.
The Chinese school of martial arts agrees with the South Indian school of martial arts on the principle of 108 pressure points.[4][5]
108 number also figures prominently in the symbolism associated with Karate, particularly the Goju Ryu discipline. The ultimate Goju-ryu kata, Suparinpei, literally translates to 108. Suparinpei is the Chinese pronunciation of the number 108, while gojushi of gojushiho is the Japanese pronunciation of the number 54. The other Goju-ryu kata, Sanseru (meaning "36") and Seipai ("18") are factors of the number 108.[1]
Paek Pal Ki Hyung, the 7th form taught in the art of Kuk Sool Won, translates literally to "108 technique" form. It is also frequently referred to as the "eliminate 108 torments" form. Each motion corresponds with one of the 108 Buddhist torments or defilements.

In Mathematics

One hundred [and] eight (or nine dozen) is an abundant number and a semiperfect number. It is a tetranacci number.

It is the hyperfactorial of 3 since it is of the form .

108 is a number that is divisible by the value of its รถ function, which is 36. 108 is also divisible by the total number of its divisors (12), hence it is a refactorable number.

In normal space, the interior angles of an equilateral pentagon measure 108 degrees each.

There are 108 free polyominoes of order 7.

In base 10, it is a Harshad number and a self number.

Source Wikipedia
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:21:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is very interesting stuff, and all those coincidences Machart, are truly amazing.

Today I was watching a tv program about the debate whether jesus was in india or not and they said that the malas and the christian rosaries both have 108 beads (to show the similarities between the 2 religions or possible common origins).

I just checked the enlightnment series books in paper: in the ones I have here (5), they all end the page count on page 103 as you said but, if you count the cover, the blank page behind the cover, the page behind page 103 (where the bar code is) and the back cover and the blank page behind the back cover, that makes exactly 108 pages for the whole book, start to finnish. Is this why Yogani called them the "Enlightenment Series"? :) This makes me smile :))))
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  12:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, correction on the enlightenment series page numbers: you have to subtract the pages counted in roman characters (introduction and indexes). Only if you count the actual text (from Chapter 1) and the covers it makes 108. Or you can see that the text spans over 103 pages in all books. Whatever...still great reads :)
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  1:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one YogaisLIFE! That was your 108th post when I read it at 1:16 pm EST 10/18/08 .....

Life is really weird and funny these days....fortunately ... I like weird and funny!

Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  1:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No way!!! This is amazing!

It was my 108th post!!! I can't believe it...I swear it was not on purpose And if I haven't noticed the mistake it wouldn't have been. You are good at spotting this things Machart! And today is the 10/18/08...hmmm...

well, I am going to spoil the count now as this is going to be my 109th post...still, a great moment
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  2:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
YogaisLIfe,

I thought you were playing a joke on me...which is fine cause I love a good (cosmic) joke. I will have a little smile on my face today whether it was intentional (on your part) or not...so thanks for the moment!

If you really didn't know it was your 108th post then we are both following the yellow brick road...if it's OK with you I'd like to be the scarecrow...cause I'm pretty sure I've lost my mind (brain) and need to get a new one from the wizard.
Go to Top of Page

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2008 :  4:11:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HAHAHAHAHA

I swear my friend, I did not make it on purpose, it is quite an extraordinary coincidence! And funny because this thread is not so new and I only came back to it (I never read it on the past but saw only the title owhen it was active) because I saw this tv program and wished to share. And I ended up doing my 108th post!

Yes, we left Kansas by now I can be Toto

It is funny this coincidences...well, just more scenery up the road
Go to Top of Page

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2008 :  3:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I set my broken clock on the fireplace mantle to 1:08 a few nights ago...

Now every time I look at it I am reminded to be in the moment and cogitate on the beautiful divine mystery of life.

.... then my mind wanders and I remember I need to buy a new clock ....

Edited by - machart on Oct 21 2008 4:31:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000