Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What does "one truth, many paths" mean to you?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  4:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Does this mean "anything goes" just so long as you're willing to reincarnate for a few eons more?

In other words, does "one truth, many paths" really mean "one truth, but only after you have experienced many lives of trial and error?"

The last verse of the Isha Upanishad:

"O god of fire, lead us by the good path to eternal joy. You know all our deeds. Deliver us from evil, we who bow and pray again and again."

the one good path? [something to do with fire?]

or many paths?

Is this issue the same as the "narrow gate" that the yogic Jesus spoke about?

"Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." -- Matthew 7:13

newpov

Edited by - newpov on Sep 01 2008 8:20:32 PM

machart

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  6:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi newpov,

Since this phrase occurred in a previous thread where you asked me to answer, I will give you my response.

One Truth, Many paths can be summarized in my mind as tolerance toward each persons search for truth...

"Tolerance is respect, acceptance and appreciation of the rich diversity of our world's cultures, our forms of expression and ways of being human. Tolerance is harmony in difference."

From Declaration on the Principles of Tolerance, UNESCO

Edited by - machart on Sep 01 2008 7:18:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  5:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Newpov,

quote:
Hi all,

Does this mean "anything goes" just so long as you're willing to reincarnate for a few eons more?

"One truth many paths" means that there is only one reality, which is the same reality that everyone comes to sooner or later, whichever path they take. In other words, it does not matter which spiritual tradition you follow, eventually you will come upon exactly the same ultimate truth as everyone else who reaches the light.

We are all being drawn towards the same Divine light, like moths.

Or like lambs.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  5:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few." -- Matthew 7:13

Playful guessing now... I don't know from nuthin...

There are many techniques for altering consciousness and experiencing scenery. This is the wide gate.

What is difficult is the ongoing renunciation of that scenery and various experiences.

The narrow gate may be ones consistent turning back to and favoring of the practice itself, no matter what happens. This may be the "devotion" required?

Hang in there, turning down one seduction after another, and maybe "narrow gate" refers to some geyser of energy that emerges through the top of your head?

Just guessing...

newpov
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:09:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe "one truth, many paths" simply means "one devotion, many renunciations".

The via negativa?

Krishnamurti's "pathless land?"

Edited by - newpov on Sep 03 2008 5:48:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  01:33:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Newpov,
quote:
Playful guessing now... I don't know from nuthin...

There are many techniques for altering consciousness and experiencing scenery. This is the wide gate.

What is difficult is the ongoing renunciation of that scenery and various experiences.

The narrow gate may be ones consistent turning back to and favoring of the practice itself, no matter what happens. This may be the "devotion" required?

Hang in there, turning down one seduction after another, and maybe "narrow gate" refers to some geyser of energy that emerges through the top of your head?

Just guessing...

The "geyser of energy that appears from the top of your head" (kundalini in full swing) is also part of the scenery along the way. Truth lies beyond all experiences.

But you are right.... the narrow way lies in not getting attracted to these (small or large) spectaculars, and staying centred in that which is beyond them all.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  10:04:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
wasnt it said "humility is the key to the kingdom of God" and if so doesnt humility mean without judgement? and if so then they key to god would be being without judgement? Some things I vaguely remember so my quoting may be off.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  11:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tubeseeker,

I am sure you have your quotes right. Humility is a good quality to manifest in ourselves, and not judging others is a great way to go about developing that quality. I hope we will see more of it here in the forum!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  4:38:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Tubeseeker,
I hope we will see more of it here in the forum!

Christi

are you implying/judging that we have not seen enough of it?
just pulling your leg christi
may we all see the blessings in this day
Neil
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  6:02:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neil,

A little piece of your heart, please?

Join me in Sunday's gathered samyama? I just heard about this.

newpov
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  6:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tubeseeker

quote:
are you implying/judging that we have not seen enough of it?
just pulling your leg christi

Christi
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  7:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by newpov

Neil,

A little piece of your heart, please?

Join me in Sunday's gathered samyama? I just heard about this.

newpov

newpov
my intention is to be there so unless something changes, I will
a quote
"we have searched our whole lives to try and find God with our minds, you will never find God with your mind, you may only experiece God with your heart" swamiji

thanks for the smiles christi
Go to Top of Page

newpov

USA
183 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  7:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit newpov's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the heart, the heart...where is it, how to find it?
Go to Top of Page

brother neil

USA
752 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  8:16:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by newpov

the heart, the heart...where is it, how to find it?

how did you feel when your son was born and you held him for the first time, could your mind really comprehend it or were you speachless? THen you were living in the heart. You were still able to function your body, pick him up and hold him, talk with the people around you, etc.... But your thoughts were not consuming you, you were overcome with joy. Life is that miraclous EVERYDAY newpov. That is why buhda said "if you could see the miracle of a single flower clearly your life would change" Everyday think of a beautiful moment and when a thought comes up about just return your focus to that moment or the breath.
my best to you brother
Neil
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:14:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neil, i can relate to what you have said. one of the joyous moments in my life was when I held my son for the first time after he was born. the other moments are when i hold him these days (he is just 3 months old). its pure joy, is not it?.

My heart seems to have opened after his birth or may be its a coincidence, I don't know. I seem to have more tolerance, patience and love these days.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000