Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Revelation 22 and Psalm 1
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian_McLinden

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:45:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brian_McLinden's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Newbie posting some speculative interpretations.

Beginning with the Epilogue in Revelation, verse 17: "The Spirit and the Bride say Come!"

Is this the union that ensues because of the complementarity of the male Shiva and female Shakti, of stillness and energetics? Yogani refers to the marriage of inner silence and ecstasy and what ensues from that. Doesn't this verse support the essential complementarity of two key starting practices, Deep Meditation (Spirit) and Spinal Breathing Pranayama (Bride)?

From 22:16, "...root of David and the bright star of the morning..." Is this the perineum and the crown or third eye? Considering the verse that comes next, are we here advised to review David's Psalms?

From 22:17: "...let all who are thirsty come; all who want it may have the water of life (Yogani's ecstatic bliss: the merging of inner silence [water] and ecstatic conductivity [prana or life force]), and have it free."

AN ASIDE:

While yogic practice is required for this merging -- see Rev. 22:12, "Look, I am coming soon, and my reward is with me, to repay everyone as his deeds deserve" -- it is not sufficient; evidently the final breakthrough, the merging itself, is a gift to be awaited for as long as it takes...

Eknath Easwaran, in his Climbing the Blue Mountain, says on p. 167, "Until now we have been making all the effort in our climb. But from now on we feel an unseen power drawing us from above, guarding us against the dangers of the precipitous ascent. This grace does not come from any external power. We have shown our dedication, purified our effort; now the Lord of Love, the Divine Mother within, begins to draw us to her, infusing our limited will with hers, which is infinite."

Thus Rev. 22:21 is the capstone: "May the grace of the Lord Jesus be with you all. Amen."

BACK AGAIN:

Nerves branching from the spinal cord and spinal nerve may look like a tree. Metaphorically, men are trees. Their roots need water. One who seats (like a yogi) "in the law of Yahweh" "is like a tree planted near streams; it bears fruit in season and its leaves never wither, and every project succeeds." (Psalm 1:3)

Men like Yogani undertake to lead thirsty trees to the waters of life.

The best ones do not crave attention or draw adulation to themselves or, worse of all, allow themselves to be turned into gods. The followers of Jesus turned that poor fellow into God's only incarnation. How lamentable. Operating anonymously, Yogani forsakes guru or god status, also sharing as much publicly of what he knows as possible, with a concomitant emphasis on self-pacing so people can take up responsibility for their own unmediated evolution.

This approach of humility facilitates servanthood. It is clearly consistent with Rev. 22:8-10: "...When I had heard and seen [all these things,] I knelt at the feet of the angel who had shown them to me, to worship him; but he said, 'Do no such thing: I am your fellow-servant... God alone you must worship.' This too, he said to me, 'Do not keep the prophecies in this book a secret....'"

I'm appreciating the wealth of material at this Forum. Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to make all of this available to someone just beginning his climb.

Brian

- - - -

PS added:

The full verse Rev. 22:16b reads as follows, "I [Jesus] am the sprig from the root of David and the bright star of the morning."

A sprig is, from the dictionary, but one shoot, one twig, or one small branch of obviously many. So according to the writer of Revelation, Jesus never saw himself as the only fulfilled incarnation of God.

PPS added:

Psalm 1 refers to mantra meditation twice daily:

"How blessed is anyone...who delights in the law of Yahweh and murmurs his law day and night."

Edited by - Brian_McLinden on Aug 21 2008 6:15:16 PM

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  5:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, Brian.

That was a lovely post.

I am not a scholar of biblical texts....so I shall not try to answer your questions

quote:
From 22:17: "...let all who are thirsty come; all who want it may have the water of life (Yogani's ecstatic bliss: the merging of inner silence [water] and ecstatic conductivity [prana or life force]), and have it free."

After a cancer diagnosis in 1996 I wrote a series of short poems/epistles......trying to word the journey of healing. One was called "draught":

tørke

Jeg
som bærer
så mye vann;

hvordan
kan jeg være
så TØRST?

draught

I
the carrier
of so much water;

how
can I be
this THIRSTY?

And some years later......when stillness became synonymous with understanding (some is lost in translation...but still):

havet

Å leve er lykke og gråt
Jeg slipper å føre roret
på formen som er min båt

Alt er enkelt
Alt er sårt
Alt er våkent
Ikke ensomt,
men alltid alene

Havet spiller på sitt instrument
Min kropp er endelig stemt
Melodien er tydelig
Som en bølge bygges den opp

Strømmen har alltid en retning
Roret er havet selv

Jeg lar havet synge
Jeg slipper bølgene til

Det er alt jeg behøver å gjøre
Det er dette som er å være
Det er dette som er å leve

Da kan havet endelig høre
lyden av bølgens gråt
Og virkelig kjenne;
gjennom min form;
seg selv som kjærlig og våt

Bølgen er fyllt til randen
Allikevel synker den ikke
Evig bevegelse
Evig ro

Min tørst er endelig slukket

Slik hun er havet;
slik havet er;
slik er jeg min egen drikke

the ocean

To live is bliss and crying
I don't have to grasp the rudder
of the form that is my boat
My boat is a wave

Everything is easy
Everything is sore
Everything is awake
Not lonely
but always alone

The ocean plays its instrument
My body is finally tuned
The melody evident
building up as the wave

The currents direction inherent
The rudder the ocean itself

I let the ocean sing
I welcome every wave

This is all I have to do
This - is to be
This - is to live

The ocean can finally hear
the sound of the crying wave
And truly know;
through my form;
itself as loving and wet

The wave is filled to the brim
Yet sinketh not
Eternal motion
Eternal stillness

My thirst is finally quenched

As she is the ocean;
as the ocean is;
so am I my own drink

quote:
Men like Yogani undertake to lead thirsty trees to the waters of life.

Indeed. To facilitate the opening up to the vast reservoir of sacredness that we are all already swimming in.

Meeting Yogani and AYP changed my life. The 'guru is in you' approach shows that it is in fact so much 'in you' that we are doing fine by 'ourselves'.... waking up together supported by this reservoir of tools and sharing of experiences.

quote:
I'm appreciating the wealth of material at this Forum. Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard to make all of this available to someone just beginning his climb.

Yes. I second that!

And we are all always just beginning

Go to Top of Page

shankar

Norway
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  6:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit shankar's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum, Brian!

Wonderful post. I have read Eknath Easwaren for a long time now. He has this wonderful felicity. An amazing talent to see through the various traditions and find common threads running right through them.

I have known for a long time that mankind is joined together through a common consciousness. And that we as one, unified race have developed our consciousness through thousands of years of introspection. Our anscestors have contributed to our state of heightened awareness through the millennia, no matter where we happen to be born, we are the result of this evolution.

We did not start this journey with the evolution of the Old Testament or with the popularisation of the religions that dominate the world today. Quite the contrary. We have at least six thousand years of written reflections prior to the birth of Christ handed down to us. The Christ incarnation is but one among many manifestations of the Enlightened One that we have seen along the ages. The Buddha means just that, in fact - the Enlightened One. Far from reinventing the wheel, we are lucky enough to be able to carry forward and replenish the universal spirit that has always existed amongst mankind and which our anscestors were quite aware of. Somewhere along the way, we got sidetracked into focusing on indivuals and ritual observances, rather than the overwhelming Truth that abides by us always.

I have read the Bible, but with not quite the comparative zeal that many posses. But it doesn`t surprise me one bit that it contains similarities in its reflections on what the Truth is really all about.

Namaste!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  5:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Brian
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not a Bible person myself although I have read sections of it when I felt particularly tuned in and found it quite insightful

I have to remark on Katrine's poem though, I find this truely beautiful. Thanks Katrine

the ocean

To live is bliss and crying
I don't have to grasp the rudder
of the form that is my boat
My boat is a wave

Everything is easy
Everything is sore
Everything is awake
Not lonely
but always alone

The ocean plays its instrument
My body is finally tuned
The melody evident
building up as the wave

The currents direction inherent
The rudder the ocean itself

I let the ocean sing
I welcome every wave

This is all I have to do
This - is to be
This - is to live

The ocean can finally hear
the sound of the crying wave
And truly know;
through my form;
itself as loving and wet

The wave is filled to the brim
Yet sinketh not
Eternal motion
Eternal stillness

My thirst is finally quenched

As she is the ocean;
as the ocean is;
so am I my own drink

Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  6:24:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I have to remark on Katrine's poem though, I find this truely beautiful. Thanks Katrine

I am glad it resonates with you, Louis
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000