Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 When to do Khechari
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  11:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste' friends!
Can anyone please tell me when do I have to do Khechari. I have been doing only AYP lessons since a couple of weeks. Presently I do Spinal Breathing Pranayama with Sambhavi in Siddhasana for 15 to 20 mins and then Mantra Meditation in Siddhasana for 20 to 30 mins.
I keep my tongue above the soft palate (that is past the uvula, and it rests there well without any effort whatsoever) during Spinal Breathing Pranayama. And I don't keep the tongue there during deep Meditation.
Now the question, is it okie keeping the tongue in Khacheri 2 (not fullly 2, for it doesnt touch the septum) while SPB? How about being in the same position while in deep meditation too? Is that how it is instructed? I find it completely at ease to keep the tongue in that position.
One more question, is it okie to use ear plugs during SBP and Meditation?
Thanks a lot

tadeas

Czech Republic
314 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  1:34:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi zenflesh,

there's no time you are required to do kechari in AYP. All the practices are completely voluntary :) and it's best to do them in order and according to the instructions given, for the best results. (e.g. more than 20 minutes of mantra meditation may not be stable over the long term, but that may vary.)

It's ok to keep the tongue in kechari during spinal breathing and it is also the instruction in AYP, although a little later on, after other additions (including mulabandha) have been taken on. I think it would be good to start with mulabandha before kechari to stimulate both ends of the spinal nerve more equally. If the tongue goes up naturally, I don't think that's a problem unless you're in an energy overload in which case you would self-pace.

Regarding meditation, you can leave the tongue up there if it's automatic and not a distraction and if it doesn't require any attention.

Earplugs are up to you :) you'll see that the longer you've been practicing the less you'll perceive anything as distraction.
Enjoy :)
Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:45:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tadeas!
Thanks for the message.
As a matter of fact, my tongue doesnt roll up naturally nor do I have the 'energy overload' as you mentioned. However I shall try and reduce the deep meditation time to 20mins, and also not to be in Khechari during the same. I shall be starting Mulabandha in a couple of days time I guess.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  8:49:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have tried deep meditation with and without khechari many times and have found there is no distraction during deep meditation. I'm talking stage 1, stage 2 requires a little muscular effort and seems bothersome. I only really practice stage 2 khechari when I'm outside of my seated practices because I seem to have developed sensitivity to pleasure in the mouth area over time with practices.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  11:18:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Zenflesh,

Everyone has their own timeline in AYP, so whatever feels right for you according to your spiritual desire is right. But just to let you know, you are already a long way ahead of the recomended timeline. The advice given in the main lessons is to start with deep meditation, and to practice this alone for a few weeks or months before adding anything else. Then to add spinal breathing when deep meditation has become stable and well established. After that you can start to add extras such as mulabhanda, sambhavi and siddhasana, leaving about a month between each addition in order to make sure things are stable at each stage. Kechari would be added quite late on according to the main lesson instructions.

If you move ahead faster as you have done, you are more likely to experience energy problems, and you may not know what to back off on first as you go, as you would not know which particular practice was the main culprit. It's your call though, so proceed as you feel is right.

Normally additions are applied to spinal breathing first, and when you are stable with that then they are extended later to deep meditation. What you should not do is to start using siddhasana, mulabhanda or kechari during deep meditation if you find it too distracting. If that happens, just stick with basic deep meditation.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

zenflesh

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  01:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Zenflesh,

Everyone has their own timeline in AYP, so whatever feels right for you according to your spiritual desire is right. But just to let you know, you are already a long way ahead of the recomended timeline. The advice given in the main lessons is to start with deep meditation, and to practice this alone for a few weeks or months before adding anything else. Then to add spinal breathing when deep meditation has become stable and well established. After that you can start to add extras such as mulabhanda, sambhavi and siddhasana, leaving about a month between each addition in order to make sure things are stable at each stage. Kechari would be added quite late on according to the main lesson instructions.

If you move ahead faster as you have done, you are more likely to experience energy problems, and you may not know what to back off on first as you go, as you would not know which particular practice was the main culprit. It's your call though, so proceed as you feel is right.

Normally additions are applied to spinal breathing first, and when you are stable with that then they are extended later to deep meditation. What you should not do is to start using siddhasana, mulabhanda or kechari during deep meditation if you find it too distracting. If that happens, just stick with basic deep meditation.

Christi

Hi Christi
Well I understand you fully and thanks for the concern. Previously I had been doing sadhanas (not AYP system of practices) over a period of time. However the practices were not very stable and regular in the past. Even after a couple of months of readig AYP lessons I was sticking to my previous practices itself. However now I am doing AYP and I feel an invisible presence of a guru -perhaps that of Yogani or as he says the guru thats within me :) that directs me.

So in short I had been reading all his lessons first and later opting myself to start from where I found to be appropriate. As of now I do not have much problems with my energy. I havent added Yoni Mudra Kumbaka as yet for my SBP with Mulabandha and Sambhavi is still not very smooth.

As to the Khechari I just made myself prepared :)

Edited by - zenflesh on Sep 13 2008 1:15:03 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000