Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 the jhanas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2008 :  7:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This weekend I'm attending a retreat on the jhanas. The teacher is excellent, and presents the material very clearly. It took me a little while to realize that what he was talking about was none other than samadhi/inner silence/the witness/whatever you choose to call That. Quite wonderful when it clicked, and then it made perfect sense. The Buddhist practice for entering the jhanas is straightforward, and takes the woowoo out of inner silence. There are 8 levels of jhanas, which all fall into place once you're "in", but the most challenging thing is to enter the first jhana. According to the teacher, almost everyone who goes on his 2-wk. retreats experiences it by the end. Since I have the background of AYPractices, and have cultivated a thimble of inner silence, I was able to go "in" rather quickly, and was amazed at the effectiveness of the method, and by following his instructions, was able to 'enlarge' my inner silence. Or set the stage for it to enlarge itself.

Here's a link to the teacher's website: http://www.leighb.com/

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2008 :  01:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Meg

I have practiced jhanas med for a long time. It takes a real long time to attain the pitti-sukha.
I began to feel ecstasies when I entered jhanas, and then I knew it was pitti-sukha, this is real pleasure, but one must not remain there, one must go on.

Then the nimittas, this is also very wonderful, but distracts the mind.

Once I entered the non-physical jhanas for seconds, and this is very amazing, cause its like an OBE but its not. people tend to compare this sensation with an OBE, but its very different.

I was out of my body, no time, no space, only consciousness and pleasure, but before this, the body hardened by itself, like a paralysis, or like a death body, then the emptiness, or void, kind of black void, sometimes white.

Sometimes the Nimittas engulfs you, this is wonderful, but can be very scary if not prepared.

But everything in Jhanas is pleasure and ecstasy, some people say that this practice awakens the K energy without symptoms, but I don't think so, as I have been for a long time in Jhanas, and the K was like dormant, it was till I began with the mudras and the other practices, when the K energy awakened and of course I had symptoms, but small, like insomnia.

What Jhanas always brought is trouble with the ears, like tinnitus or other infections, I don't know why.

I love Jhanas, but in my experience I think it was like preparing the path to the K energy.

As the K energy is very strong, at least in my experience.

I always combine the two meditations, one helps the other.

my 2 cents

Neli

quote:
Originally posted by meg

This weekend I'm attending a retreat on the jhanas. The teacher is excellent, and presents the material very clearly. It took me a little while to realize that what he was talking about was none other than samadhi/inner silence/the witness/whatever you choose to call That. Quite wonderful when it clicked, and then it made perfect sense. The Buddhist practice for entering the jhanas is straightforward, and takes the woowoo out of inner silence. There are 8 levels of jhanas, which all fall into place once you're "in", but the most challenging thing is to enter the first jhana. According to the teacher, almost everyone who goes on his 2-wk. retreats experiences it by the end. Since I have the background of AYPractices, and have cultivated a thimble of inner silence, I was able to go "in" rather quickly, and was amazed at the effectiveness of the method, and by following his instructions, was able to 'enlarge' my inner silence. Or set the stage for it to enlarge itself.

Here's a link to the teacher's website: http://www.leighb.com/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000