AYPsite.org Forum
 Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Hope
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  10:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yesterday I was reading lesson 20 (plaese see http://www.aypsite.org/20.html) of yogani about enlightenment without belief in god after reading some posts about the same subject and something occured to me.

It is funny how I read the same lesson before I started meditating and now, a few months into deep meditation, I re-read it with absolute new meaning and insights! Actually I read it slowly and digested each thought in my head with some pleaseant results.

I was thinking about this unknown place called "california" (please read the lesson for context). Some imaginary place that someone tells you it's wonderful but that you have never seen. If you start imagining in your own head that beautiful wonderful place then that gives you hope. With that feeling of hope you start to feel better, optimistic, even lighter, just good vibrations flooding your body. That happened to me. A clear shift in perception and state of being (spirit?) just by feeling hoipeful and optimistic about a beautiful place that I could work towards. Something to work for, to be in, to be part of, even if I don't see it here in the moment. Actually, if you think about it, this always moved humanity: to dream.

That made me think about other (magical) occassions in my life where a simple shift of thought created a clear palpable shift in my own state of being. I remember once being very down for a long time and just thinking suddenly "It was me that made me feel this bad so I can make myself feel that good as well!". That that was about an imaginary state of well being that I could sense of being possible to achieve in the future if I shifted my awareness. That absolutely shifted my perception and I started feeling better, optimistic, flowing with life, actual bliss in every moment of my life. This lasted for several months until fear kicked in again (for changes in circumstances) and I fell into a downspiral again.

This makes me wonder about the role of hope and thought in the enlightment process. It certainly has a role because I experienced it as such but, at the same time, it does not work all the time. Of course, since it happened that one time so strongly, I tried it afterwards to no effect. If I was down I could not just "convince" myself that I should be hopeful and optimistic. So, what is lacking that makes a shift of thought pattern uneffective? I think it is inner silence. Whether we are aware of it or not, it must be the presence of inner silence that creates the wonderful possibility of actually re-creating our experience of reality. I certainly cannot just force positive thoughts into me and hope that that would work. It doesn't. It doesn't hurt, obviously, to reamin positive through life but I feel it is not all. Nothing may happen (or negative feelings and happenings can continue to happen) even if we try to be very positive in our thoughts and actions. I think it is the presence of pure light (cultivated in meditation, for example) that enables us to see more clearly and influence better our own thoughs and, hence, life.

Well, just thought of putting this forward. Dare to dream! It will come to you in time, if you are patient and hopeful and, of course, use the right tools! Always self-pacing, of course! It was funny in my case how a simple (but powerful) wave of fear and terror completely crushed all the good feelings and bliss I was feeling for months before, a state that seemed undestructible...funny. Now I feel much more shielded for this swaying thoughts and moods because of meditation, and ramaining aware of my surroundings and my own life.

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2008 :  8:06:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Y.I.L.

quote:
Originally posted by YogaIsLife

This makes me wonder about the role of hope and thought in the enlightment process. It certainly has a role because I experienced it as such but, at the same time, it does not work all the time. Of course, since it happened that one time so strongly, I tried it afterwards to no effect. If I was down I could not just "convince" myself that I should be hopeful and optimistic. So, what is lacking that makes a shift of thought pattern uneffective?

The "wall of belief" can stand in our path making 1 time efforts (or few time efforts) fall hopelessly short at its feet. Remove the limiting belief and the wall no longer exists. Practices help these walls crumble slowly over time, so it is easy to see past them.

Thoughts we believe make us who we are, limits and all. Change our thoughts consistently over time and you change the way you feel. No need to convince, just start by thinking in more positive directions. What's good about right now? Where's the silver lining in what is going in my life right now?

quote:
I think it is inner silence. Whether we are aware of it or not, it must be the presence of inner silence that creates the wonderful possibility of actually re-creating our experience of reality.
I agree.
quote:

I certainly cannot just force positive thoughts into me and hope that that would work. It doesn't.

You can't force it, but you can slowly train it over time. We are what we repeat in action.
quote:

It doesn't hurt, obviously, to reamin positive through life but I feel it is not all. Nothing may happen (or negative feelings and happenings can continue to happen) even if we try to be very positive in our thoughts and actions.

The way we feel about our lives is due to our perception of events. Finding the "silver linings" make for a happier life.

quote:
I think it is the presence of pure light (cultivated in meditation, for example) that enables us to see more clearly and influence better our own thoughs and, hence, life.
Agreed.
quote:

Well, just thought of putting this forward. Dare to dream! It will come to you in time, if you are patient and hopeful and, of course, use the right tools! Always self-pacing, of course! It was funny in my case how a simple (but powerful) wave of fear and terror completely crushed all the good feelings and bliss I was feeling for months before, a state that seemed undestructible...funny.

Setbacks don't mean your initial attempts weren't worthwhile, simply keep at it, once you have repeated the positive thoughts more than the negative, you will be it.

quote:
Now I feel much more shielded for this swaying thoughts and moods because of meditation, and ramaining aware of my surroundings and my own life.

Me too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000