Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Cooling the body with apana
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  12:41:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi
Does anyone know what the technique is to cool the body or hands (for example)?

How does a guru or yogi change their body or limb temperature to be cold?

I think it might have something to do with apana. How do you direct apana? (I'm familiar with directing chi but chi is hot..)

I would love to know

Thanks.
TI

Edited by - AYPforum on Jul 01 2008 5:53:01 PM

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  05:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

Cooling the body is done, of course, with the white drop.

regards
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2008 :  11:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kadak

Hi

Cooling the body is done, of course, with the white drop.

regards

Hi Kadak
Please forgive me if I am wrong but... I cannot find anywhere in "The Clear Light of Bliss" that says that melting the white drop causes cooling. Everywhere in the book it says that melting the white drop causes joy and bliss. (not cooling).
Here are some quotes from that book:
quote:

First we should perform the eight stages of inner fire meditation as described earlier. The heat generated from this will melt the white drop at the crown, which will flow down the central channel from the crown to the throat, from the throat to the heart, from the heart to the navel, and from the navel to the tip of the sex organ. This will bring with it the experience of spontaneous great joy..

quote:

It is this movement of the white drop flowing gently down the central channel that gives rise to the experience of joy, or bliss.

The book does say that the red drops cause warmth and will warm the body but I can find to mention of cooling the body or body parts.

The reason I am interested in this is twofold:

1) A while back I was experimenting with 'what happens to you when you exhale and keep the breath out for as long as you can'. When I did this, after the abdomen kicked in to try to force the breathing, is that the lower chakras kicked in and injected some kind of energy. You can feel the lower chakras 'squirt' the energy into the body, upwards and towards the spine. After doing this exercise, my body became very cold. I remember that my hands, arms and legs were very cold.

2) In "This House Is On Fire", I read the Dhyanyogi would do party tricks of making his hand hot, getting someone to touch it, then make the same hand cold a few seconds later and get the same person to touch it again (shocking them all in good fun).

What I'm thinking is that apana is cold. But can you direct apana?

Again, I appreciate your responses kadak, but it would help if you could explain exactly how to make your hand cold by melting a white drop. (I know there are ten doors but the hands are not listed as one of them).

Thanks

TI
Go to Top of Page

Hondo

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  12:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Hondo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You might like to try Sheetali Pranayama.

http://www.healthandyoga.com/html/n...heetali.html
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  07:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi TI,

The tibetans never say everything. Now, when you read Amma, she says that when the kundalini arises, it may be hot like hell, until it reaches the crown, then nectar will flow downward and cool the body.
If you keep this in mind, and read some threads here, you will find several occurrences of the "cold shower" coming from the top of the head. People usually don't recognize this to be the famous nectar, because white drop is nectar only in the central channel. Outside, it is just like cold shower.
And if you practice tummo, and forget the red drop (for example, you ignite the fire, drip the white drop, and find it so nice that you actually forget the red drop), the white drop may sort of "drown" the red drop, and you end up the session shivering (which is a mess for a tummo session).

Now there are 2 other possibilities for cooling.
1) If you do long enough retentions, it lowers the metabolism and you become cold. Not during the session, because retention gives some fire. But just after, during maybe 30mn.
2) And there is another phenomenon, which I identified myself as apana, like cold currents going through the body, but I never managed to understand how to trigger it, because apana seems to be cold only under several circumstances, which I don't understand.

regards
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  08:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
If you do long enough retentions, it lowers the metabolism and you become cold. Not during the session, because retention gives some fire. But just after, during maybe 30mn.

Sorry for not following... perhaps it's obvious, but... Retentions of what?
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Throat/5th chakra/blue energy is usually cold - from what I hear.
Go to Top of Page

kadak

79 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  12:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kadak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Sorry for not following... perhaps it's obvious, but... Retentions of what?

Sorry for the confusion. Of the breath, of course. Above 60s cycles, the metabolism decreases noticeably.
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  2:54:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This discussion seems to be using terminology and concepts that are different from AYP and unfamiliar to me. I am not sure if it needs to be moved to Other Systems or perhaps clarified as it does seem interesting but without a Tibetan background is hard to understand although there does seem to be some overlap with AYP.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  5:46:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks kadak, Then we are talking about the same thing that happened to me a while back. I had to have two blankets around me for hours after meditation. Now that is getting better. I had a lot of automatic breath retentions during and in between practices... still have those, but my body seems to have gotten accustomed to it.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  5:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  11:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kadak

Hi TI,
The tibetans never say everything. Now, when you read Amma, she says that when the kundalini arises, it may be hot like hell, until it reaches the crown, then nectar will flow downward and cool the body.
If you keep this in mind, and read some threads here, you will find several occurrences of the "cold shower" coming from the top of the head. People usually don't recognize this to be the famous nectar, because white drop is nectar only in the central channel. Outside, it is just like cold shower.
And if you practice tummo, and forget the red drop (for example, you ignite the fire, drip the white drop, and find it so nice that you actually forget the red drop), the white drop may sort of "drown" the red drop, and you end up the session shivering (which is a mess for a tummo session).

Now there are 2 other possibilities for cooling.
1) If you do long enough retentions, it lowers the metabolism and you become cold. Not during the session, because retention gives some fire. But just after, during maybe 30mn.
2) And there is another phenomenon, which I identified myself as apana, like cold currents going through the body, but I never managed to understand how to trigger it, because apana seems to be cold only under several circumstances, which I don't understand.

regards

Hi kadak
Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate it.
Yes, the 2) option that you described; the cold currents!
I did find this chart about the various kinds of "prana". It didn't answer my question but it does explain why when performing the vase breath, one gulps (swallows).(I've seen 'swallowing' in Taoist Reverse breathing techniques too). From looking at the chart, one can see that the samana is at the solar plexus, so perhaps by gulping, one causes a shot of samana to activate helping join the prana and apana???
Here is the link: http://www.pranayoga.be/en/yoga/e_pranayama.html
What I was thinking is that something might activate an overflow of the other types of prana and that might cool the body?

You know kadak, The Clear Light of Bliss has some very interesting things in it. Like this part:
quote:

Why will this meditation cause the winds to enter the central channel? The reason is that mounted winds and the minds that mount them are inseparable, just like a body and its shadow, so if the mind gathers within a vacuole inside the central channel, the winds must also gather there. Strong and consistent practice of this meditation will cause the central channel gradually to open.

Geshe Kelsang Gyatso goes on to say that penetrating the central channel through any of the 10 doors causes different results. For example:

quote:

Penetrating the crown channel increases the white drops, penetrating the throat channel wheel makes dream practices very powerful, penetrating the heart channel wheel enables us to maintain the appearance of clear light, penetrating the navel channel wheel increases inner fire, penetrating the channel wheel of the secret place induces an experience of strong bliss, and penetrating the channel wheel at the tip of the sex organ enhances the experience of strong bliss and induces a quick, deep, long sleep.

However, there are 10 doors by which the winds can enter the central channel and Gyatso has only given us the effect from penetrating 6 of them (in the CLOB book). Perhaps one of the other four doors produces cold?

Just speculation..

TI
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  11:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Hondo and Sparkle,
Thank you very much for your information.
Yes, rolled tongue breathing is said to cool the body. Also, Ida is supposed to be cold (left side) and breathing through the left nostril is also supposed to be cooling.. Hmm. I wonder if bhastrika through the left nostril only produces cold. (but that would be hard to hide in public.. ) Ok. I tried this and I don't notice any difference in temperature, although the left of my brain seems a little cooler now..
I've never heard that the throat chakra produces cold. I'll have to try a throat meditation sometimes.
I'm trying to find something that gurus can do, in public, very quickly and secretly, that will change their body temperatures.
Thanks again for your suggestions.

TI
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2008 :  11:46:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice
However, there are 10 doors by which the winds can enter the central channel and Gyatso has only given us the effect from penetrating 6 of them (in the CLOB book). Perhaps one of the other four doors produces cold?

Just speculation..

Fascinating thread, many thanks TI and kadak.

Maybe the answer is in your pseudo, Tibetan ICE... just kidding

Albert
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2008 :  12:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find moving energy outside of anything makes it feel cold. Though doing so makes energy want to go back in. I reckon it's just getting in touch with this more subtly. Dunno how healthy it could be if you're changing some important chemical processes... I'm curious about this one though. I'll see what I can muster up haha. I reckon heating up "cold spots" would be cool though... cooling down hot spots too, go balance.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  03:12:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hmm, try this out, put both your hands close to each other... i'm not sure if this might be a bit of placebo, but it seemed to work for me. Ok, so get them close enough so you feel the body heat. now on the in breath, focus on the hot energy between your hands and your belly, on the out breath, intend for it to cool down.

you can switch it too, doesn't matter wether you're breathing in or out or hot or cold. Lemme know if it works. Just thought I'd mention too, I've known the sacral chakra (or dan tien maybe? dunno if they're the same. I never really think of the perfect location...) to be a great source of hot energy, it's ok for using as a sort of "storage" unit too I reckon(correct me here if I'm wrong anyone?), to ground wayward energy and keep one centered, so it seems a good way to go about experimenting with this pretty safely and effectively.
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2008 :  6:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Divineis

hmm, try this out, put both your hands close to each other... i'm not sure if this might be a bit of placebo, but it seemed to work for me. Ok, so get them close enough so you feel the body heat. now on the in breath, focus on the hot energy between your hands and your belly, on the out breath, intend for it to cool down.

you can switch it too, doesn't matter wether you're breathing in or out or hot or cold. Lemme know if it works. Just thought I'd mention too, I've known the sacral chakra (or dan tien maybe? dunno if they're the same. I never really think of the perfect location...) to be a great source of hot energy, it's ok for using as a sort of "storage" unit too I reckon(correct me here if I'm wrong anyone?), to ground wayward energy and keep one centered, so it seems a good way to go about experimenting with this pretty safely and effectively.

Hi DivineIs
Well I tried that and I'm not very good at it, or it seems to work a little. I found some websites where it said that Swami Rama could change the temperature on two locations on the palm of one hand by 11 degrees! Hmmm..

http://www.squidoo.com/swamirama

quote:

Under these scientific conditions, Swami Rama demonstrated the ability to stop his heart from pumping blood for 16.2 seconds and to produce an 11-degree difference in temperature between different parts of the palm of his hand. In one demonstration, using only mental power, he caused a fourteen - inch aluminum knitting needle mounted on a shaft five feet away, to spin."

Fun and games.. I'd like to know how he does it.

Thanks for your responses.

TI
Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2008 :  05:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Control of temperature is accomplished through visualization practice and "talking" to yourself. Biofeedack control demonstrates this to a small degree but Swami Rama had more control because of practising yoga.

Control of the autonomic system can be dangerous if you don't know how to get back to a normal state.

Visualization acts directly on the subconscious, which controls the autonomic functions of the body. The subconscious cannot tell the difference between imagination and external reality. A simple experiment is to think of some food you enjoy and visualise it. You should start salivating a little and notice that your pupils are dilating. By affirmations or "talking" to yourself coupled with visualization, you can direct the subconscious to control consciously any body part.

I know a man who does this and he can make his heart rate suddenly drop really low. He plays tricks at the local shopping centre with the blood pressure monitor.
Go to Top of Page

OneMoreChakra

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  1:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit OneMoreChakra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi
Does anyone know what the technique is to cool the body or hands (for example)?

How does a guru or yogi change their body or limb temperature to be cold?

I think it might have something to do with apana. How do you direct apana? (I'm familiar with directing chi but chi is hot..)

I would love to know

Thanks.
TI

There is a pranayama technique for cooling. Shri Anandi Ma teaches it at the level of Vajra Panjar I.

Apana is one of the five vital airs, but it resides in the lower body. The cooling technique involves the Prana, not the apana.
Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  10:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by OneMoreChakra

There is a pranayama technique for cooling. Shri Anandi Ma teaches it at the level of Vajra Panjar I.

Apana is one of the five vital airs, but it resides in the lower body. The cooling technique involves the Prana, not the apana.

I attended Vajra Panjar I, and I concur.

Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  11:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hello OneMoreChakra and Surykant,

I'm a bit lost because I thought lighting up inner fire was done by bringing apana & prana to mix together into navel chakra so I don't see why apana can cool down since it was used to produce inner heat.

Albert
Go to Top of Page

OneMoreChakra

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  09:12:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit OneMoreChakra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by selfonlypath

quote:

Hello OneMoreChakra and Surykant,

I'm a bit lost because I thought lighting up inner fire was done by bringing apana & prana to mix together into navel chakra so I don't see why apana can cool down since it was used to produce inner heat.

Albert

That was my point. The apana does not cool. Cooling pranayama doesn't involve apana at all. See above.
Go to Top of Page

selfonlypath

France
297 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  11:35:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
That was my point. The apana does not cool. Cooling pranayama doesn't involve apana at all.

Hello OneMoreChakra,

I'm very sorry to have made a mistake on my initial question so here is its correct form.

I'm a bit lost because I thought lighting up inner fire was done by bringing apana & prana to mix together into navel chakra so I don't see why PRANA can cool down since it was used to produce inner heat.

In fact, since both apana & prana are used to light up inner heat, I don't understand why prana can cool down. I agree with you that apana cannot cool down since it was used to light up hence same conclusion with prana which is also used to light up so why can it cool down at the same time ?

Sorry if i'm not clear again since i'm not french native speaking, ALbert

Go to Top of Page

OneMoreChakra

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:05:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit OneMoreChakra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by selfonlypath

quote:
That was my point. The apana does not cool. Cooling pranayama doesn't involve apana at all.

Hello OneMoreChakra,

I'm very sorry to have made a mistake on my initial question so here is its correct form.

I'm a bit lost because I thought lighting up inner fire was done by bringing apana & prana to mix together into navel chakra so I don't see why PRANA can cool down since it was used to produce inner heat.

In fact, since both apana & prana are used to light up inner heat, I don't understand why prana can cool down. I agree with you that apana cannot cool down since it was used to light up hence same conclusion with prana which is also used to light up so why can it cool down at the same time ?

Sorry if i'm not clear again since i'm not french native speaking, ALbert

Prana (as I understand it) is the primary vital air & form of energy. It may be cooling or heating.
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  9:40:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
sh*tali Pranayama is designed for cooling:

http://www.yogayak.com/Cooling+Breath+Pranayama

Where's Tibetan Ice?

namaste,
Joe

Edited by - brushjw on Sep 10 2008 10:59:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000