Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 fogginess
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  09:14:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm relatively new to AYP practices. As I've been doing the spinal pranayama and the deep meditation, its really calming the overenergizing feelings and my meditations are feeling great. I've also been doing a fair amount of grounding practices. My mind is still alot of the time but I've felt rather foggy brained. Kind of like I'm in a dream/wake state, particularly when I wake up in the morning. Its not getting in the way of functioning in my activities during the day. However, I feel a lot of activity in my third eye, temple skin area at times. Anyone else experience anything like this?
Jan

jamesrgarrett

USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  10:06:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jan, I, too, experience the foggy-headedness. It starts during pranayama and continues thereafter until sometime during the day (after morning practices) and sometime during the nighttime (after evening practices). I'm also a little foggy upon awakening in the morning. I have thought of it as sort of an affective disconnect. I'm just not as attached to things going on around me as I was before starting practices. I don't like the feeling, but don't know how to avoid it. Best regards. Jim
Go to Top of Page

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  12:06:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jan,

Yes, I've felt this way for quite a while. It used to result in a bit of fear but I've learned to let go of my preconceptions of how reality is 'supposed' to be. Ultimately closing the door of one reality opens the door to another. I seem to constantly push the envelope on what I can experience. If things get too weird I slow down my practice a bit until I'm at a comfortable level. You'll hear a lot about self-pacing in the lessons and the forums.

Best wishes in your practice.

Namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  2:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Joe & Jim for your replies,
It does feel a little like a disconnect or detachment, not entirely uncomfortable, just weird and something new I'm noticing. Certainly better than fear or emotional reactivity. I'm not doing very extensive practices but will consider self-pacing if it becomes weirder.
Namaste,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2008 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogajan again,

I was feeling foggy lately too, and as a result I decided not to do any more meditations lying down. It seems to have helped me quite a
bit. You may not meditate that way so this advice might not help.

I also think, though, if you set your intention to be more alert it will, like the way samyama works. Hope so.

Love to all,
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Yogajan

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  10:55:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yogajan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jill,
I don't lie down for my practices but in corresponding with Jim (Jim and His Karma), he suggested a longer rest time after meditation practices. I had added rest time thinking this would help but he suggested even longer so rested about 10 minutes this morning. I feel more alert after that this morning anyway but then again, I didn't feel as foggy as I have been. Will keep you posted.
Love & Blessings,
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2008 :  11:15:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jan

You don't mention wheather you do samyama.
What I find, if I get a fogginess in the head I introduce the word "clarity" at the end of the samyama. This usually clears the problem.
( I haven't tried Jim's suggestion of more rest, so can't comment on that)

jillatay said:
quote:
I also think, though, if you set your intention to be more alert it will, like the way samyama works
This is the same thing. If you think "clarity" or "alert" or some other word that works for you, at the end of the meditation and just let it go into the silence, it might work for you.

If it does, you might consider adding samyama to your practice, taking self-pacing into consideration of course.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000