Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Cult Program
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  08:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Did anyone catch the program on the National Geographic Channel on cults yesterday?

They did a behind the scenes expose'/interview on a specific cult, its members, and a delusional individual claiming to be a messiah. Anyway, it was very interesting to hear what an ex-member and psychologist had to say why people get involved with cults. And they also mentioned that anyone/everyone is vulnerable and is one step away from adopting this mentality - whether this be loss of a loved one, divorce, employment change, dissatisfaction with relationship, outside world, present situation, et al.

"Seeking" externally was specifically mentioned as a prerequisite to cult involvement where vulnerable individuals were searching for an outside source to find God or fill a perceived lack that they felt they didn't possess, within, and so something external was going to give this to them.

One point that struck me, that was mentioned, is that people are willing to bypass reason or their internal moral gauge in favor of feeling part of a group mentality, even if their initial reaction wasn't a good one. So instead of listening to themselves they adopt this mentality, as their own. Whether this is done by bombardment/brain washing from the followers or the subtle demeaning of the individual from the leader him/herself. The message conveyed is that things are secret and the leader is privy to knowledge or closeness to divinity that the person does not possess, and so it's okay that they act this way or that, since they are on a higher plane of perception. You know, this sort of rationalization.

It was amazing to see these individuals buying into this hook line and sinker and it was truly sad. The leader slept with his son's wife, another married woman, et al, because God told him it was okay and so many other things that were considered acceptable by the followers. The cult members themselves stated that initially they didn't feel that alot of things happening were okay, but through time, they came to the realization that it was they that didn't understand God's plan. In other words, the cult leader assisted them with this realization/rationalization for his unethical behavior by explaining to them that they really didn't have the right to feel this way, since he was in touch with divinity, therefore, demeaning them further, by causing them to doubt themselves. The cult leader's son who gave his wife to his father actually said, 'I didn't understand it, but after the messiah said, "why are you angry with God?" I understood that it was me that had the problem'. Wow, truly truly a sad account. The program added further that not only did this demean the woman, but did so to the man simutaneously by disempowering him. They also stated that many of these cults start out harmless enough, but when the actions and words of the leader conflict with reason, and followers begin to leave, then more drastic means to maintain control are indoctrinated.

Anyway, that's what I got out of the program and wanted to share it.

Namaste:

VIL

P.S. This is a view that I used to hold myself and was something that I brought from my past into the present and have since disgarded.

Edited by - VIL on May 09 2008 10:29:12 AM

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  11:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some thoughts on cult behavior.

When we get caught up in cult behaviors we are involved with the ego worshipping its own self. All the objects, devotions and pursuits are for upholding the ego's image. Even the leader we follow and idolize is a part of our ego worship; the illusion of a separate identity, apart from the whole who appears to exist in its own universe within a greater universe inhabited by "others", including holy persons. Looking for approval from a source "out there" is where we get caught up in the ego's play. Depending on our openess to the Guru within, our karma, grace, and other divine mystery, we may go through following other ego bound characters for awhile that help to uphold our own egoic universe, or we may eventually, or perhaps primarily, find truly realized persons who will more effectively guide us to further opening to to the Guru within...our God-self.

Edited by - Balance on May 09 2008 12:00:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

hope

USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 09 2008 :  1:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit hope's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't understand the whole cult thing either. My ex was into the teachings of yogananda which i don't know if its a cult or not. But it was almost like he treated him like a god. He would drive around with a picture of him on his dashboard and had pictures of him all over the walls and in his wallet. It bothered me a lot because it seemed that his whole life revolved around what this man thought. I think the yoga aspect of it is great but it always seemed to me that it was possible to attain consciousness without having to be led by what someone else thinks it shoudl be, if that makes any sense.I think the yoga teachings of Yogananda are worthy but I could never see myself treating an individual as a god himself, and not having a mind of your own to decide how you want to live your life. I am so happy everyday because i know that when i wake up i don't have to live by anyone else's rules and i have the freedom to make my own choices based on free will. People who are in cults don't have that choice. I think its okay to understand that there is a higher being other than ourselves but to buy into someone that much and put them on a pedestal(they are human)shows something that is lacking in yourself that you need someone else to tell you how you should live your life.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - May 20 2008 :  12:12:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing your perspectives Balance and hope. It was an aversion like a kidney stone and has since passed.

Namaste:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Chiron

Russia
397 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  04:36:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When one looks at a picture of a saint there is an energy exchange which occurs. It may come across as cult-like worship but is actually a scientific spiritual practice. Being in the actual physical presense of a saint amplifies the effects, so trying to be close to such a person at all times may come across as cult-like worship as well, but is also a genuine practice. Venerating the Goddess within the guru, which is more clearly manifest than in your own self is yet another practice on your very own path to Goddess.

The problem begins when people, due to the bad deeds/speech/thought of their past, fall at the feet of false teachers and thus gain no observable benefits, creating a bad reputation for close spiritual communities worldwide (aka cults). Sadly today this is the dominating scenario even in the holy land of India but maybe times will change.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - May 25 2008 :  07:09:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing Chiron, good post. I took a few days off, since I was researching information on the Bahai founders, et al; since I agree with what they say, but never joined their religion, and am also leary of cults, and am not sure where they fit into the scheme of things, due to my past.

I was looking up information on a person who was martyred, because he was considered radical and he was called the Bab (or gate) and later Baha'u'llah, which means Glory of God, his family, who were imprisoned their entire life, because their teachings were contrary to orthodox Islam.

So when I read some of Baha'u'llah's teachings and the story of the Bab, I really cried, years ago, and resonated with them for some reason. And then later I was like well what if this religion is a cult, et al? Anyway, so I was really conflicted over this recently.

Anyway, so I was looking up information on the founders and what was said about them, plus and negative, and what was the core teachings and also the actual accounts of their lives.

The Bab taught something entirely different than radical Islam in that all Prophets came within a prophetic cycle and are connected by a cyclic theme or a chain. And he considered Krishna, Buddha, Christ, Muhammad, et al... nine gates or prophets that came in succession according to the need of the age. So this went against Islam who considered Muhammad the seal of the Prophets.

So I couldn't find anything wrong with the teachings of its founders and was wondering why they were killed and was reading up on their actual stories and imprisonment.

Baha'u'llah related a story in which he was in prison and a maiden appeared to him and pointed to his crown that sounded very much like a kundalini experience:

"While engulfed in tribulations, I heard a most wondrous, a most sweet voice, calling above My head. Turning My face, I beheld a Maiden--the embodiment of the remembrance of the name of my Lord--suspended in the air before Me. So rejoiced was she in her very soul that her countenance shone with the ornament of the good-pleasure of God, and her cheeks glowed with the brightness of the all-Merciful. Betwixt earth and heaven she was raising a call which captivated the hearts and minds of men. She was imparting to both My inward and outward being tidings which rejoiced my soul, and the souls of God's honored servants. Pointing with her finger unto My head, she addressed all who are in heaven and all who are on earth, saying: "By God! This is the Best-Beloved of the worlds, and yet ye comprehend not. This is the Beauty of God amongst you, and the power of His sovereignty within you, could ye but understand. This is the Mystery of God and His treasure, the Cause of God and His Glory unto all who are in the kingdoms of Revelation and of creation, if ye be of them that perceive." - Baha'u'llah

Anyway, I couldn't find anything contrary that was taught, so I just let it go and as yogani said that it all had to start somewhere. And as long as any teaching is inclusive of all people then I'm good with it. I don't think I'll ever be a Bahai, since all organizations just seem to stray from the founder's teachings. But that's okay, since I love what was conveyed nonetheless.

VIL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000