Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 quitting smoking
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  02:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Alright, so last thursday, I started my "quit smoking" regime. It started off, a couple cigarettes a day for a couple days, then just one (along with nicorette gum), for a couple days. Today's been my first day without any cigarettes.

I must say though, even the day after I started cutting back, I noticed a serious increase in "ecstatic conductivity". I imagine this was in part because my body was clearing out a lot of stuff. I'm not sure if it's temporary or not... if it's maybe just part of the quitting process for me. I mean I've had on and off ecstatic conductivity for a quite a while now. It's more than "normal" for me by this stage. Though it seems smoking gets a fair bit in the way of energy running through the body naturally (DUH! haha).

A big part of my reason for quitting was the "spiritual" side of things though. Mostly, it's just not something I want to hold on to. Even though it does feel really nice haha. ohh man I need a smoke haha *goes to get a piece of nicorette gum*.

Alright, so I'm kinda curious, any of you "truth seekers" quit smoking? Any of you still smokers?

... I was almost gonna say I thought the above might be good motivation if any of you still smoke and part of you wants to stop... though deep down, smoking and enlightenment, I truly don't think it matters. I think the act of smoking itself can be really meditative. It becomes so "normal" and ingrained, something that's thoughtless. Doing it with awareness... tis just as enlightening as anything else. So if you smoke, I'm not gonna say "QUIT!". Do it with awareness :) haha.

Edited by - AYPforum on Apr 24 2008 06:50:50 AM

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  11:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
With respect to Sri Nisargadatta and his guru Sri Siddharameshwar, both of them smokers, this ex-smoker advises quitting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think either of the mentioned jnanis practiced pranayama. If you practice pranayama you might not do well with it while smoking. Of course there are other reasons that outweigh the small, personal pleasures of smoking; it stinks, it makes you cough, it shortens your breath, it repels beautiful men and women (the ones who don't smoke ), and it can cause horrible physical damage. That's just a few bad things. I understand the pleasure part, I smoked for half of my 45 or so years up until a few years ago. Hand rolled and pipe tobaccos being my prefered methods of injecting nicotine into my system. Tobacco was the last drug I dropped (with exception to caffeine, of which I still partake), and I am happy for having done so. I had quit before, once for over a year, but emotional need reached out and grabbed the drug again in times of self-pity. A few years ago I had quit alcohol and etc. a few months prior to a dream (And God, quitting those was hard enough). I had just seen Sri Karunamayi for my second time during her yearly U.S. tour and had already cut my tobacco consumption down tremendously. There were a few times during the day I would puff tobacco to get high, like right before sleep. I would hard-smoke a whole, hand-rolled cigarette down until I would be sweating and nearly passing out, and then lie down to sleep. There was some kind of comfort I guess in that. One night Amma (Sri Karunamayi) came up to me in a dream and held my bowed head in her gracious hands. Then it was her head bent over and she was having a hard time breathing. She then told me she could not enter my heart through the smoke. After the dream I never smoked again. Actually, I tried one or two a few months down the road, just like I tried the other stuff again here and there, but it no longer worked well for me, so I had to drop it. I am thankful now to be clear of those things.

All in all, though everyone is different and there are no "rules", I think staying smoke and drug free is the easier way. In my experince that is the case.

Edited by - Balance on Apr 24 2008 3:40:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI I quit smoking about two years ago I think..not quite sure how long..I am not too sure that it has any effect on meditation but it certainly has a bad effect on pranayama.

At the moment I am doing loads of walking about 5 miles a day and I never felt better I certainly couldn't do that and smoke as well so my advice is stick with the quiting once the urge to smoke has left you you will have a wonderful sense of freedom
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  5:12:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
:-) thanks for your encouragement guys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000