Famous gurus - those you just must have heard of
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  1:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have noticed I lack fundamental knowledge of which gurus/sages/great beings that are so wellknown that you just must have heard of them! Would you help me get some basic education here and join in on some namedropping? New names pop up all the time and a lot of people seem to know about them... and I don't! I'll write those I have at least heard of here, but please, fill in the list and please, mention if they are dead or not! And please, write all the name variations that exist! If you feel like it!

(I use # = dead, * = born)

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj - #1981
- Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi - #1950
- Swami Vivekananda - #1902
- Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh - # 1990
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - #2008
- Swami Janakananda - *1939
- Swami Satyananda Saraswati - *1923
- Swami Sivananda Saraswati - #1968
- Jiddu Krishnamurti - #1986
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa - #1886
- Babaji... but see below...

And in the 'western' corner we find:

- Byron Katie - *1942
- Eckhart Tolle - *1948
- Don Miguel Ángel Ruiz - *1952
- Barry Long - #2003
- Adyashanti - * ??
- Ram Dass/Baba Ram Dass - *1931

When people mention Babaji... who do they mean? I looked at Wikipedia and found these:

- Ananta Das Babaji, a leading religious figure in the contemporary -Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition.
- Gaurakisora dasa Babaji, an influential Vaishnava guru from the Gaudiya tradition.
- Haidakhan Babaji, a teacher who appeared in northern India and taught publicly from 1970–1984.
- Hariakhan Baba, appeared in many places in northern India near the Himalayas between 1861 and 1924.
- Jagannatha dasa Babaji, an acharya from the Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition.
- Mahavatar Babaji, referred to by Paramahansa Yogananda in his best-selling Autobiography of a Yogi.

I have read a book about Haidakhan Babaji, so that's "Babaji" to me... Who do you mean when you talk about Babaji? Which one of these is the most wellknown?

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  4:55:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sri Aurobindo # 1950
The Mother (Mirra Richard) # 1973

Mother Meera * 1960
Amma the hugging saint - Mata Amritanandamayi Devi or Ammachi * 1953
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  5:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi emc,

Here's a couple more:

Swami Rama (1925-1996)
Elisabeth Haich (1897-1994)
Neem Karoli Baba (birth unknown-1973)

Best, yb.

Edited by - yogibear on Apr 25 2008 07:57:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2008 :  10:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gurusfeet is trying to build such a database. Take a look, a bunch of gurus are listed.

http://www.gurusfeet.com/homepage

~ Eric Putkonen

Edited by - eputkonen on Apr 23 2008 10:24:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

angel

India
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  03:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some more:

Shirdi Sai Baba - #1918
Sathya Sai Baba - *1926
Meher Baba - #1969
Mooji - *1954

BTW, this Gurusfeet's guru project looks innovative... I like the fact that it is not just a wiki but a structured directory (with fields such as date born, tradition, locations etc.) and mainly that the users themselves submit, maintain and edit together the gurus profiles. People can post pro/con opinions there about each guru which can serve as a good guidance for selecting a guru...

The direct link for the gurus project is http://www.gurusfeet.com/guru

quote:
Originally posted by eputkonen

Gurusfeet is trying to build such a database. Take a look, a bunch of gurus are listed.

http://www.gurusfeet.com/homepage

~ Eric Putkonen

Go to Top of Page

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  03:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Rawat aka guru maharaji
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  08:31:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

When people mention Babaji... who do they mean? I looked at Wikipedia and found these:

- Ananta Das Babaji, a leading religious figure in the contemporary -Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition.
- Gaurakisora dasa Babaji, an influential Vaishnava guru from the Gaudiya tradition.
- Haidakhan Babaji, a teacher who appeared in northern India and taught publicly from 1970–1984.
- Hariakhan Baba, appeared in many places in northern India near the Himalayas between 1861 and 1924.
- Mahavatar Babaji, referred to by Paramahansa Yogananda in his best-selling Autobiography of a Yogi.

I have read a book about Haidakhan Babaji, so that's "Babaji" to me... Who do you mean when you talk about Babaji? Which one of these is the most wellknown?

Generally people talk of Mahavatar Babaji

In that Wiki article it says:
Another teacher who is identified with Mahavatar Babaji has a similar name, Haidakhan Babaji. He lived in northern India and taught publicly from 1970 until his death in 1984. The spiritual teacher Leonard Orr wrote about his encounters with Haidakhan Babaji, and together with Sondra Ray, promoted him as being Mahavatar Babaji

Edited by - Shanti on Apr 24 2008 08:59:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  09:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is also Sarlo's Guru Ratings...he still updates the list and adds more.

http://www.globalserve.net/~sarlo/Ratings.htm

It is also organized by tradition, for example all nondualists...
http://www.globalserve.net/~sarlo/RatingsN.htm

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  2:02:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for adding names!

Shanti, thanks a lot for clearing out the Babaji question!

The globalserve-link was VERY thick with names. Hard to go through everyone and see who's most well-known. Very good link to have, though, if you start wondering about someone!

Please continue!

Gurdjieff #1949

was one I forgot! I have tried his movements! They are weird, but GOSH - they blew me away quickly!!!! Absolutely fascinating!
Go to Top of Page

Katrine

Norway
1813 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  5:32:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Katrine's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sri Chinmoy # 2007
www.srichinmoy.org

Edited by - Katrine on Apr 30 2008 12:48:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

love99

1 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2008 :  6:32:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit love99's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Riktam Kantu *1964
Anadi (Aziz Kristof) *1962
Premananda *1944
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  04:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I bought on eBay the double DVD of the evening talks of
S.N.Goenka during a 10 day course of Vipassana.
Eckhart Tolle during his talks on retraits explains things so
clearly, and a good laugh is allways at hand. But this S.N.Goenka is as good ! ! ! Of course he has an Indian-Burmese accent but that is allright.
By the way : is there someone who followed this 10-day course of vipassana?
Go to Top of Page

angel

India
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  08:50:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The 10-day Goenka retreat is most recommended. I did it several times, it's much easier than it seems and so so effective, and it is free of charge (you can give a donation at the end only if you did the whole 10 days).

Goenka's tapes are wonderful and amusing but hardly effective without actually doing the Vipassana course. It is the same case as with many of us that read a lot of spiritual stuff which is partially a candy for the mind but when it comes to meditation and practice they refrain. This is a barrier a true seeker should be aware of and pass. The mind wants the intellectual amusement but not to meditate because meditation weakens it and it fights for its survival...

quote:
Originally posted by thimus

I bought on eBay the double DVD of the evening talks of
S.N.Goenka during a 10 day course of Vipassana.
Eckhart Tolle during his talks on retraits explains things so
clearly, and a good laugh is allways at hand. But this S.N.Goenka is as good ! ! ! Of course he has an Indian-Burmese accent but that is allright.
By the way : is there someone who followed this 10-day course of vipassana?

Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  11:56:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sri Yukteswar
Swami Prahbavananda
Sankara Saranam
Lahiri Mahasaya
Ram Dass (richard alpert)
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi
Daya Mata
Anandamoyi ma
Osho Rajneesh
Jesus Christ
Krishna
Sri Chaitanya
Adi Sankara
Paul Brunton
Master Mahasaya
Swami Satyananda
Swami Pranabananda
Kabir
Buddha (!)
Lao tu
Kamala
Dr Lewis
Hamid Bey
Prabhupada
Swami Rama
Swami Kriyananda
Brother Bhaktananda
Ramacharaka

Babaji is a common name in India. There are lots of Babajis. But all of the recent "commercial" Babaji's are based on Mahavatar Babaji from the Autobiography of a Yogi.
Go to Top of Page

thimus

53 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  1:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit thimus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
a controversial one : Aleister Crowley
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2008 :  2:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Our beautiful Mother Earth.

Edit: *never born, #never died

Edited by - Balance on Apr 25 2008 2:24:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

angel

India
6 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  5:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is importance to an external guru, he/she counterbalance the dominance of your mighty mind which will do whatever in its power to prevent enlightenment since enlightenment means its distraction.

A self appointed guru, not self appointed guru, a real guru or a fake one - it does not matter - with all you experience lessons you were destined to that will contribute to your development.

The guru is within and without but until you reach the point in which you are capable to listen to the guru within without the noises of the mind - be open to external gurus...

quote:
Originally posted by John C

quote:
Originally posted by emc

I have noticed I lack fundamental knowledge of which gurus/sages/great beings that are so wellknown that you just must have heard of them! Would you help me get some basic education here and join in on some namedropping? New names pop up all the time and a lot of people seem to know about them... and I don't! I'll write those I have at least heard of here, but please, fill in the list and please, mention if they are dead or not! And please, write all the name variations that exist! If you feel like it!

(I use # = dead, * = born)

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj - #1981
- Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi - #1950
- Swami Vivekananda - #1902
- Osho/Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh - # 1990
- Maharishi Mahesh Yogi - #2008
- Swami Janakananda - *1939
- Swami Satyananda Saraswati - *1923
- Swami Sivananda Saraswati - #1968
- Jiddu Krishnamurti - #1986
- Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa - #1886
- Babaji... but see below...

And in the 'western' corner we find:

- Byron Katie - *1942
- Eckhart Tolle - *1948
- Don Miguel Ángel Ruiz - *1952
- Barry Long - #2003
- Adyashanti - * ??
- Ram Dass/Baba Ram Dass - *1931

Dear emc,
You don't need any of them. You are as great as all of them combined. We all are. It's a case of duality to set up some list, many of the currently living ones are self appointed teachers. Adyashanti, Tolle and Bernie Prior, for example, come to mind:self appointed wise men. They cannot give you anything because you already possess all there is to look for. If AYP stands for anything special it is that we stand alone without a teacher beyond our own skin. Be still and know that I am God.
(Psalms 46:10)

Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2008 :  7:10:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh! I didn't mention Bernie Prior in my list, 'cause he's not very well-known at all I thought. But now when you mention him, John... I might reconsider...

I appreciate all suggestions of Gurus, thank you! I haven't read all books of those listed above, so I need a list to know what to read next!

Edited by - emc on Apr 26 2008 7:13:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  02:55:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Master Choa Kok Sui (Arhatic Yoga, Pranic Healing #2007)
Padmasambhava
Lama Tenzin Rinpoche (Bon Po Tradition, Ligmincha Institute)
Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche (Dzogchen)
Mantak Chia (Taoist Yoga)
Michael Winn (Taoist Yoga)
Sri Dhyanyogi Madhusudandsji, Sri Anandi Ma and Dileepji (Kundalini Maha Yoga)
Bhagavan Nityananda and Swami Muktananda (Siddha Yoga)
Lar Short (Grace Essence Fellowship)
Jack Kornfield
Swami Rudrananda (Rudi) http://www.rudrapress.com/teachers/
Max Christensen http://www.kunlunbliss.com/aboutus.html

Edited by - Steve on Apr 27 2008 3:08:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  02:59:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! Mantak Chia and Rinposhe, how could I have missed them in my list? Thank you, Steve!
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  05:22:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nithyananda (spelt with a "h")http://lifebliss.org/
Thich Nhat Hanh http://www.plumvillage.org/
Go to Top of Page

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  5:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

...join in on some namedropping?

Yogi Rao – from Bangalore – was a big hit with newsmen. The beedi-smoking yogi told me: "First you have to create an image, you can’t be a sadhu if you wear trousers and jacket. In India, you have to wear saffron or pale-orange brown clothes. No shirt – the torso remains exposed. And then, you must spread the word you went to the Himalayas and kept your head at the feet of the guru. Nobody will check of course whether you have actually been to the Himalayas. That Himalaya tag is very important. And then, armed with powers extraordinary, you descend to the plains and begin performing miracles. I can do better than that rascal (Sai Baba). I can drink nitric acid, drink water and bring it out of the nose, walk on burning embers," the yogi said.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2008 :  6:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the first Mahavatar Babaji was a legend from hundreds of years ago, who supposedly became immortal and still lives in the Himalayas. He is the first in
the lineage of Yogananda, and who knows how many other gurus. Many gurus claim to have learned from him in the himalayas. I don't know if he is just a convenient legend to latch on to, or maybe his consciousness does reside there?
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 16 2008 :  06:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
nice post thks for sharing and i would like to add two names.

Sri Atmananda of Trivendrum.

and for arabic reader if there are any here i advise to read for kamal joumblat cz really his writtings are amazing.

Namaste
Go to Top of Page

angel

India
6 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2008 :  06:17:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit angel's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Porfiri Ivanov http://www.gurusfeet.com/guru/porfiri-ivanov
Go to Top of Page

apachechief

Ireland
65 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  08:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit apachechief's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice nobody mentioned 'McGyver'

How did you all miss that one?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000