AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Mixing meditation/traditions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rumighoul

11 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  5:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rumighoul's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I hope this issue hasn't been addressed already, I couldn't find anything specifically answering my query.
I have been easing my way into the AYP programme for a few months, I don't find forming new habits easy, but I keep going eagerly because I've on and off had wonderful results with the Deep Meditation and Spinal Breathing. However I'm a curious and knowledge hungry chap and I'm interested in many traditions, to whit that I've also found myself studying basic Tai Chi (which is awesome) and more recently started attending a Sufi meditation group - something I've long also been curious in. I can see the danger of being pulled in too many directions (a problem generally with me - sometimes I think i'm interested in too much), so I am consciously trying to pair my practice down to the essentials.
My main question is this - do any of you forsee problems in practising two very different meditative 'paths' simultaneously i.e. the mantra meditaion of yoga and the Heart-based meditation of sufism? I feel I clearly see the benefits of both - the mantra meditation brings a blissful progressive inner silence of mind, whereas the sufi meditation is much simpler; the procedure is focussing on the heart in silence until a 'blessing' arrives, and it so far feels like a more mysterious and romantic experience like falling in love (i.e. less empirical and scientific than the yoga approach)*. I love both procedures and suppose I'll just have to keep doing both until it becomes clear if there's a problem, but I wondered if anyone else has any opinions or experience in this situation.
The leader of the Sufi group has refrained from giving an opinion so far, obviously he doesn't want to influence me unduly.
Thanks for any advice, and thanks to the wonderful AYP community generally.

*For those that don't know, Sufi meditative systems are all based around the Heart and their conception of the heart area is very different from the chakra-system of Yoga - as far as I understand (in the school i've joined anyway) there are 10 discrete and subtle points of consciousness in the body (called 'lata'ifs'), 6 of which are connected to the heart, and they are not considered analagous to the chakras. I suppose that's what I'm thinking of mainly - would I be mixing two different energy-systems in a haphazard way?

brushjw

USA
191 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  10:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit brushjw's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Rumighoul, and thanks for posting.

I believe this issue was addressed in Lesson 19:

"If your path is serving you well, stay with it. If you are finding
fulfillment over time, you are in the right place. However, if your
tradition is mostly serving you well, yet seems to be lacking in some
way, find the courage and flexibility to try and fill in what is
missing. In the end, it is you who will unfold bliss consciousness by
your own efforts through devotion and application of the most
comprehensive practices you can find."

My sadhana also involves other practices in conjunction with AYP. It works well for me, but I have to be very careful not to overdo it. Good ol' bhatki.

Yogani has given us the knowledge, but we have to be responsible about how we use it.

aum namaste,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  09:42:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rumighoul,
Welcome to the forum.

It's wonderful to hear about your experience with AYP. Lots of people here do Tai Chi along with AYP. I think they do compliment each other. In lesson Lesson 80 - Q&A – Physical fitness and yoga Yogani says:
quote:
Something like tai chi is also good, which builds a good
connection between the physical and spiritual dimensions of us in a
grounding way.

I am not familiar with Sufi meditation. However, if you are going to be doing AYP and Sufi meditation at the same time you are heading for an overload. AYP practices are deceptive, they look very simple but are extremely powerful. I am sure the Sufi meditation will be powerful too and this will have a doubling up effect.. (and with Tai Chi thrown in.. it may have a tripling up effect). In lesson Lesson 179 - Q&A – The star revisited Yogani says:
quote:
If you are using a system of practices from another source, then just use the lessons as "food for thought." You are in charge of your journey.

It is best to follow one system (AYP or Sufi meditation) till you are stable with it and then add more.. esp. if you are just starting off.
Wish you all the best.

PS: There are some discussions going on on Sufi Meditation that may be of some interest to you.

Edited by - Shanti on Apr 12 2008 09:48:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  11:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rumighoul
Welcome to the forum

I would echo the caution expressed above about overload.
However, I personally love the support of a meditation group, and it seems like you have found a nice one. The fact that the teacher refrains from trying to push you one way or the other is a good sign also - the guru is in you

You seem to be starting both systems roughly at the same time so getting the balance with both practiced together would be difficult.

One suggestion, and it is what I do myself with is Buddhist meditation group, is to use the AYP system as your daily meditation and the Sufi system as your group meditation. This way you could have the best of both worlds.
Mixing both on a daily basis however could spell trouble.

Wish you well, and let us know how you are getting on

Edited by - Sparkle on Apr 12 2008 11:27:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rumighoul

11 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  10:07:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rumighoul's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey all,
Thanks so much for the quick and honest replies. Yeah I think it's maybe decision time soon because I am getting the sense that both of these systems are quite powerful, and that while not incompatible necessarily it wouldn't be great for me to mix both at an early stage. Even just time-wise, my girlfriend who is also doing AYP pointed out that I need to be getting on with the rest of my life in between meditations in order to get the intended benefit, rather than be overloading myself with meditation for meditation's sake. Oddly (could be my imagination) I feel the heart meditation seems to be pushing me in same direction - either to adopt it solely for a while or abandon until I'm ready to. The group i've come across seem great and dedicated to serious work (i was recommended to do 30 mins every day), so I don't know if only doing it once a week at the class itself would kind of miss the point. Aaargh i hate having to choose between good things....anyway thanks again, I hope to post again in the future and let y'all know how it's going.
Blessings,
Jack.

Edited by - Rumighoul on Apr 13 2008 10:25:56 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000