Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How to Self Pace with Samyama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jillatay

USA
206 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  9:41:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit jillatay's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing some Samyama for at least 6 months. I have had to do a lot of self pacing with deep meditation, pranayama, asanas and sambhavi. I actually have to be very careful these days to avoid symptoms with any of the practices. These things are really powerful!

Now I want to see if I could self pace with Samyama. I tried to do a search on this topic but perhaps I don't know how to do it correctly. I need some help. I don't want to cut back on Samyama entirely because I know it is balancing a lot of my life. Before I started there was a lot of chaos and it was difficult.

Do you cut back to only some of words, only one repetition or some other technique? Any advice or links to the main lessons would be appreciated.

Love to all,
Jill

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2008 :  11:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do one repition instead of two as a method to self-pace and find the effects of samyama still very powerful.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  12:14:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jill,
I started Samyama a few months ago and found it to be the most powerfull spiritual practice on earth :) So you need to be careful with it.
But if you've been doing it for 6 month you shouldn't have any problem.
Would be helpful if you tell us what symptoms you're experiencing.

Self pacing in Samyama could be using one repetition of each sutra instead of two. That would make it a lot lighter. If still too much you could cut down on the lightness sutra as well. I had the same discussion with Yogani a while ago and apparently there are no strict guidelines on how you cut down except for a balanced set of sutras is always better.
Go to Top of Page

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  05:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

Jill:

[I have been doing some Samyama for at least 6 months. I have had to do a lot of self pacing with deep meditation, pranayama, asanas and sambhavi. I actually have to be very careful these days to avoid symptoms with any of the practices. These things are really powerful!]

Emil:

[I started Samyama a few months ago and found it to be the most powerfull spiritual practice on earth :) So you need to be careful with it.]

Samyama sure is a very powerful practice. Ask me...I started it last year...overdid it unconsciously and went into a severe depression just after a month. It took me many months to come out of the depression and had to cut down my practices, both Spinal Breathing and Deep Meditation to a large extent. I have recently started Samyama again but am extra cautious this time. Besides repeating the sutra just once i don't mind foregoing Samyama for a session if i don't feel up to it...I don't know if it is the right thing to do but last year's experience was just too much for me to take any liberty with my physical body at present.

P.S. I am a regular visitor of the forum and am so glad to have found such a splendid company here..thanks to all of you for sharing your thoughts...

Love

Neerja
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  09:47:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Cutting way back on akasha (i.e. do only one or two reps) is a tremendous self-pacer. Also I've found that doing a samyama-less practice session once in a while feels right.
Go to Top of Page

Emil

Australia
141 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  11:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neerja and Jim,
I personally vote for picking up less spiritual practice but having the same routine twice a day. That way your body gets used to that amount of practice in a very short time. A month after I started Samyama, I had to cut down on lightness sutra and repetitions. But a month later I could take on the whole thing and even added more sutras. For me the key is to give the body/mind the same doze twice a day so that they know what they're up for. A lot of gurus recommend doing meditation at the same time everyday because they believe when your body gets used to doing meditation at that particular time it will result in deeper meditation experiences. Same principle applies here.

Also I found it to be very uneasy and almost impossible to do a long Samyama practice without having done the Asanas. I think Asanas prepare the body for Samyama just as meditation prepares the mind. Given that a lot of symptoms resulting from overdoing Samyama are physical rather than mental, I always do Asanas before meditation and Samyama and if I don't get time to do Asanas I cut down on Samyama for that session but would do my best not to let that happen too often.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2008 :  1:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
One could also cut down the number of sutras, and only do one repetition of 4 or 5 of them, instead of all nine, and add on one at a time to increase slowly. That's how I did. Worked fine!
Go to Top of Page

neerja1

India
22 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2008 :  09:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit neerja1's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All,

Many thanks for all your replies.

Emil:
[I personally vote for picking up less spiritual practice but having the same routine twice a day. That way your body gets used to that amount of practice in a very short time. A month after I started Samyama, I had to cut down on lightness sutra and repetitions. But a month later I could take on the whole thing and even added more sutras. For me the key is to give the body/mind the same doze twice a day so that they know what they're up for. A lot of gurus recommend doing meditation at the same time everyday because they believe when your body gets used to doing meditation at that particular time it will result in deeper meditation experiences. Same principle applies here.]

Thanks Emil, I think you have a point there about being regular (no breaks as much as possible) with the Samayama too even if the number of sutras one repeats is less (I believe this is what you meant..please correct me if it is not so). I shall try it this way..since I started samayama again I was doing all the nine sutras (at times resulting in slight discomfot)...

Shall keep you all posted about the progress

Love

Neerja
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000