AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 No soul
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lookatmynavelnow

52 Posts

Posted - Mar 29 2008 :  6:02:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I consider the vast number of enlightened beings that has come from the Buddhist teaching somewhat of a miracle given the fact that they (the buddhist) do not acknowledge the existence of the human soul. Or maybe not, it might just underline the fallacy of metaphysical speculation about things that really does not matter – reality rules.

Still I sometimes wonder, we do have a soul, right? What do you say, Christi and others who have some experience from the Theravada or Mahayana tradition? What is your opinion about the soul, or is this a subject an English gentleman-buddhist rather avoids?

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  01:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To me, the soul is the observer. Consciousness itself. If you look into quantum physics, you'll see that they've done experiments, that even particles themselves, have a certain "consciousness".

When there is no observer, energy is but a wave of potentials, literally realizing every potential and no potential all at once. As soon as you thrown an observer into the picture, it is given direction, it realises the one potential that makes sense to the observer. Though take out the observer, and you're working in a world of effects that makes absolutely no sense to our limited human comprehension.

Check out this video for a bit better understanding http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

To me, Buddha was the first quantum physicists. His knowledge lines up almost perfectly with much of quantum physics. The observer and observed are one.
Go to Top of Page

Divineis

Canada
420 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  01:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hmm, also, I was playing with the idea earlier this week, wondering what would happen if an enlightened person was observing this experiment. Someone here mentioned something about a test to see if folks are enlightened. I think it'd be neat if matter still remained on the level of "potential" with an enlightened dude watching. Though to be honest, I care not for any tests of enlightenment, just that the person adds more love and light into your life.

Excuse my moving a bit off topic, just a side note :). I forgot where that other post was.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2008 :  10:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for this link, very interesting !
Go to Top of Page

cosmic_troll

USA
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  01:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit cosmic_troll's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
whenever Lord Buddha says mind, this includes the human soul (among other things - consciousness, emotion, feelings, etc.).

*IMHO*

he says mind a lot

Peace and Love
cosmic
Go to Top of Page

eputkonen

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2008 :  10:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit eputkonen's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
We do have a soul...but we are not the soul. The soul is just another form...like the body. It too will end one day...all forms have a beginning and an end.

Buddhism teaches that we do not have a permanent self...the soul is not permanent, so no-self (anatma) and having a soul are not mutually exclusive.

There is no permanent individual "me" that exists, but there forms that will end (body dies, etc).

As a soul is not something in most people's direct personal experience (and it doesn't really matter) - Buddhism does not talk about it or acknowledge the existence of the human soul. There is no need, and there is potential harm in letting the discourse go theoretical and metaphysical speculation for those who just want to talk about it but have no experience of the soul. Buddhism is practical above all else...not theoretical.

Namaste,

~ Eric Putkonen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000