New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  2:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Balance,

I think the use of the phrase "music stuck in the head" is just a cliche and doesn't really explain what is happening to some if not all of us here exlaining this issue. The music as you said is not literally "stuck in the head" and yes it is free to come and go....but in MY experience I can push the song out of my head, but as soon as I am not actively "pushing it out" it is right back in my "ears", not really the "head". I'm inclined to agree with Jill here in that this is probably an issue only for those who still identify greatly with their sense of hearing, but I could be wrong as I have no experience with NOT identifying with my sense of hearing. And it may not even be that I/we identify greatly with our sense of hearing but simply just that our sense of hearing is our most acute and therefore used sense. But regardless, I don't think the issue is really just that we are thinking that these songs are "stuck" and therefore are, but instead that it must have something to do with not being present in the now as for me as soon as I stop thinking about it, it comes back with a vengence. And I'm sure being a musician doesn't help any of this.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  5:42:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CarsonZi,

I was just pointing out from my experience which has included a lifetime of songs stuck in the head along with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (many fixations with that), Depression, and drug and alcohol addiction, that the cliche of "stuck in the head" might have been indicitive for me of a self-identity that was too narrowed and localized. Now I see that such a self-identity for me caused the above sufferings I find it liberating to not have any of the obsessions be held in an assumed, localized "place". Presently as these obsessions arise I see them as being spacious beyond location, and I see myself spacious as well so that I do not have a self-identification that is localized in a place like in my head. The fixations as well as "my head" being spacious, nothing is fixated upon. Of course everyone has a different and unique experience, I'm just remarking on what has worked for me in helping to free myself of fixations.
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  9:51:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Balance....Didn't mean to offend you.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2008 :  11:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by CarsonZi

Sorry Balance....Didn't mean to offend you.

Love,
Carson

I was not offended

Love Alan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000